CFZ Playmakers and Road-Graders

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If I had to sum up what this team’s biggest roster needs are this off-season I would say it’s simply two types of players- playmakers and road-graders. Here’s my definition of those two terms:
  • Playmaker: In football terms, a playmaker is simply a skill position guy that can make big plays in big moments more than just occasionally. On offense, they can be a threat to score at any moment, and on defense they can make a huge disruptive play like a turnover or sack at any moment.
  • Road-grader: in football, a road-grader is simply lineman on either side of the ball that can control the line of scrimmage. They are big and physical. On offense, they open holes in the running game and pass block effectively. On defense they control and disrupt the running game and can cause the pocket to collapse.
When I rewatched the 49er playoff loss recently, what jumped out to me about our offense was that we only had two playmakers on offense- Tony Pollard and Cedee Lamb, and Pollard was injured by half. Obviously Dak did not play well but when I looked at what the niner D was defending, they didn’t have much to worry about with Pollard gone.

On defense, Micah Parsons is our only consistent playmaker. Road-graders? IMO we don’t have any on the DL, and we have two on the OL: Zack Martin and Tyler Smith. Tyron Smith used to be but he’s never available and Terrance Steele was getting there until his injury.

Going into draft and Free Agency, this team must find a couple of playmakers on offense and at least one big additional road-grader on defense. If we had a defensive lineman who could disrupt the running game and occasionally collapse the pocket from the middle, this defense goes up to the next level. And it was already pretty salty.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Yea, adding weapons on O should be priority #1 this offseason.

I’d consider Tank a road grader. He’s arguably the best run defending DE in football. But yea, would love to see us add a younger version of Hankins.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes we need both types of players.
for sure that big run stuffing DT, but can also rush the passer. Can't have 2 one dimensional DT's. That show the offense what we are expecting, unless it is very obvious, such as a 3rd and long. Then addd another pass rusher, or a LB that is good in coverage.

Get back to road graders and maulers on the OL. If this happens then playmakers will emerge on offense.

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
Might need to replace our two leading tacklers. Vander Esh and Wilson. It also might be a good idea to find a CB to play opposite of Diggs.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Weapon doesn't just mean a trade at wr or obj and that's it, we need MORE than just that!!!!

Defense Micah needs help, and the help isn't from LAWRENCE where it should be. He does his thing, but it's not consistent enough to affect the game

btgboys41

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If I had to sum up what this team’s biggest roster needs are this off-season I would say it’s simply two types of players- playmakers and road-graders. Here’s my definition of those two terms:
  • Playmaker: In football terms, a playmaker is simply a skill position guy that can make big plays in big moments more than just occasionally. On offense, they can be a threat to score at any moment, and on defense they can make a huge disruptive play like a turnover or sack at any moment.
  • Road-grader: in football, a road-grader is simply lineman on either side of the ball that can control the line of scrimmage. They are big and physical. On offense, they open holes in the running game and pass block effectively. On defense they control and disrupt the running game and can cause the pocket to collapse.
When I rewatched the 49er playoff loss recently, what jumped out to me about our offense was that we only had two playmakers on offense- Tony Pollard and Cedee Lamb, and Pollard was injured by half. Obviously Dak did not play well but when I looked at what the niner D was defending, they didn’t have much to worry about with Pollard gone.

On defense, Micah Parsons is our only consistent playmaker. Road-graders? IMO we don’t have any on the DL, and we have two on the OL: Zack Martin and Tyler Smith. Tyron Smith used to be but he’s never available and Terrance Steele was getting there until his injury.

Going into draft and Free Agency, this team must find a couple of playmakers on offense and at least one big additional road-grader on defense. If we had a defensive lineman who could disrupt the running game and occasionally collapse the pocket from the middle, this defense goes up to the next level. And it was already pretty salty.
Nice post. Do you think it’s a possibility that a TE can be a playmaker or even a road-grader on offense that would satisfy one of the needs you outlined? Seems to be some chatter about them wanting to find a TE as a premium investment.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nice post. Do you think it’s a possibility that a TE can be a playmaker or even a road-grader on offense that would satisfy one of the needs you outlined? Seems to be some chatter about them wanting to find a TE as a premium investment.
Yes, I think a big play TE would be an excellent addition. Schultz is ok but I wouldn’t call him a playmaker. Ferguson and Hendershot are both good to have but not anything to worry defenses.

There are some really top shelf TEs in this draft. Wouldn’t surprise or disappoint me if we took one early.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes, I think a big play TE would be an excellent addition. Schultz is ok but I wouldn’t call him a playmaker. Ferguson and Hendershot are both good to have but not anything to worry defenses.

There are some really top shelf TEs in this draft. Wouldn’t surprise or disappoint me if we took one early.
Yes we need a Kelce / Kittle type TE.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score

The problem is that at 26 we aren't going to find the around Round-grader you're describing. Outside of the upper 1st round you're going to find an either/or (block or Rush, rarely both).
But yep plenty of play-makers, especially at RB, TE and CB either of which is supposedly deep, even outside the first round.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I know it will never happen, but my dream is still for a stud, road-grader DT. I really believe that it will vastly improve our run defense.
We’ve needed a road-grader on the DL forever. All our great teams of the past had them. And almost every SB team of this era have them too. Have never understood why this FO has not valued this kind of player.
The problem is that at 26 we aren't going to find the around Round-grader you're describing. Outside of the upper 1st round you're going to find an either/or (block or Rush, rarely both).
But yep plenty of play-makers, especially at RB, TE and CB either of which is supposedly deep, even outside the first round.
I respectfully disagree. You can find some excellent interior defensive lineman on Day 2 of the draft. Sure it’s nice if you can get one early because they are the most likely to hit. But if we do our homework (Will McClay does) you can find some excellent Day 2 DTs.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score

Would love to see some guys we can line up at WR and be a threat down the field like a Wr

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I respectfully disagree. You can find some excellent interior defensive lineman on Day 2 of the draft. Sure it’s nice if you can get one early because they are the most likely to hit. But if we do our homework (Will McClay does) you can find some excellent Day 2 DTDTs.
You certainly can find decent linemen, in Day 2, however, its difficult to find a two way player (like the Carters, Kancey's) dropping as they're so rare. Then again it could be that we tend to draft either the: 3-tech pass rush or big (late middle round) NT/ 1 tech.
Personally, I'd like a run stuffer first that helps keep O-Linemen getting to the second level and make our LB's life hell.

Mr_437

Reaction score

Great post. We found out 2 Playmakers aren't enough once TP went down. Most associate Playmaker with WR, but adding on at TE (Kincaid/Washington) and another at RB (Gibbs/Spears/Achane) is doable in this draft. Also, there should be some strong OL at 26 with Schmitz, Wright n Jones.

You build around Superstars, yet Dallas hasn't gone out and gotten a road grater at NT to protect Micah Parsons. They need to add 2 body guards for #11. I much rather build around Parsons and have an elite defense, and they can fix this in FA but they probably won’t.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Would love to see some guys we can line up at WR and be a threat down the field like a Wr
This draft is deep with TEs. Michael Mayer from Notre Dame will almost certainly be gone by 26. He’s a stud.

But on Day 2 in rounds 2-3, there are several guys I think could be playmakers. The Georgia TE Darnell Washington is 6-7 and a great athlete. He was used mostly as a blocker in college but his skill set is big. He may be rising to first round level but should be there for us. Tucker Kraft from S. Dakota reminds some people of Dallas Goeddert. Hes probably a 2nd or 3rd round guy. Dalton Kincaid of Utah is also a Day 2 guy who is interesting.

Lots of good TEs in this draft.