Playoff implications for Dallas-Atlanta game

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Playoff implications for Dallas-Atlanta game

(Dec. 15, 2006) -- Saturday night's game between the 8-5 Dallas Cowboys and 7-6 Atlanta Falcons (NFL Network, 8 p.m. ET) has numerous implications on the NFC playoff picture.

The Cowboys can clinch a playoff berth with a victory, a Minnesota loss/tie on Sunday AND either a New Orleans win/tie or a Carolina loss/tie.

The Falcons can move closer to a division title or wild-card playoff berth with a victory, which would improve their conference record -- the second tiebreaker after head-to-head for wild card in non-division ties – to 6-4.

However, the outcome of Saturday's game will impact more than just the Cowboys and Falcons.

Consider:

•New York Giants can move into an NFC East first-place tie with a victory and a Dallas loss. The Giants would hold the tiebreaker based upon a better division record (4-1 vs. 2-3 with one game left for each).

•New Orleans can clinch a first-round bye this weekend with a victory and other results including a Dallas loss.

•New Orleans, regardless of its result on Sunday, can clinch the NFC South title this weekend with an Atlanta loss and a Carolina loss.

•Wild-card prospects for the 11 NFC teams still in the playoff chase (other than Chicago which has clinched NFC North title) improve with a Dallas loss or an Atlanta loss.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9872729

Apollo Creed

Stackin and Processin, Well
Reaction score
So, by this time tomorrow we could be in the playoffs with a Minny loss and a Saints win. Last years crumble after starting 7-4 is still looming in my mind, I really want to lock up a playoff spot soon this year.

SupermanXx

Benched
Reaction score
GoinForSix;1235603 said:
So, by this time tomorrow we could be in the playoffs with a Minny loss and a Saints win. Last years crumble after starting 7-4 is still looming in my mind, I really want to lock up a playoff spot soon this year.

we were 7-3 (which looks better)...

still can't believe we found a way to screw it up. oh wait, bledsoe at QB getting protected by Torrin Tucker and Pettiti... now I remember

this year we have no excuses to mess this up. if we do, I have no answers other than GROZ

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
SaintReginald;1235674 said:
"cajuncowboy"??
please tell me your not a fellow louisiana citizen :)

Used to live there. Little place called Big Island in Deville outside of Alexandria.

Have family in Lafayette and Scot.

I now live in Nashville.

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
SupermanXx;1235672 said:

I don't think if we lose this game we will make the playoffs. I think the Giants will tie us and then I belive that we will have a problem with the E-gals only because it seems to be the way it goes for this team at this point in the year. Remember last year???

SaintReginald

Benched
Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;1235677 said:
Used to live there. Little place called Big Island in Deville outside of Alexandria.

Have family in Lafayette and Scot.

I now live in Nashville.

cool man. was just ribbin ya.
When the hurricane hit i had to evacuate to lafayette for a couple days.

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
SaintReginald;1235683 said:
cool man. was just ribbin ya.
When the hurricane hit i had to evacuate to lafayette for a couple days.

Good people.

Good Food.

Good Music.

What more can you ask for except to have the Cowboys on the tube??? :D

SupermanXx

Benched
Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;1235681 said:
I don't think if we lose this game we will make the playoffs. I think the Giants will tie us and then I belive that we will have a problem with the E-gals only because it seems to be the way it goes for this team at this point in the year. Remember last year???

I said "wrong" just to be random, didn't really mean anything by it

I'm just bored and waiting for gametime!!!!!!

Givincer

Reaction score
Can someone explain to me why a New Orleans win will help us get into the playoffs?

Personally I'm hoping for a Carolina loss, Minn loss, and New Orleans loss.

I'm sure there's a reason a NO win helps us, but I just can't figure it out.

Tricericon

Reaction score
There is currently a possible scenario where New Orleans loses the South and then knocks us out of the playoffs on the head-to-head tiebreaker. Obviously, if they win and clinch the South that is no longer possible.

Givincer

Reaction score
Fat Toad;1235768 said:
There is currently a possible scenario where New Orleans loses the South and then knocks us out of the playoffs on the head-to-head tiebreaker. Obviously, if they win and clinch the South that is no longer possible.

Ah, thank you.

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
SupermanXx;1235710 said:
I said "wrong" just to be random, didn't really mean anything by it

I'm just bored and waiting for gametime!!!!!!

Gottcha. I'm with ya. Wished the game started now!