Playoff question

Richmond Cowboy

Reaction score
If a wildcard team has a better record than the division winner they play during the wildcard round, where is the game played?

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
Richmond Cowboy;2449590 said:
If a wildcard team has a better record than the division winner they play during the wildcard round, where is the game played?

The division winner is the higher seed therefore they would host the game.

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
Richmond Cowboy;2449590 said:

We're headed back to Zona.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
at the division winner, although that rule ought to be changed imo.

Reaction score
THUMPER;2449591 said:
The division winner is the higher seed therefore they would host the game.

Am I crazy or did they make a rule change about this last year? Regardless of seeds the team with the best regular season record hosts the playoff game. Anybody?

Don Corleone

Reaction score
CowboysNumeroUno;2449623 said:
Am I crazy or did they make a rule change about this last year? Regardless of seeds the team with the best regular season record hosts the playoff game. Anybody?

NO WAY! It has always been based on seeding. The higher seed, regardless of record, hosts the game.

Reaction score
Don Corleone;2449629 said:
NO WAY! It has always been based on seeding. The higher seed, regardless of record, hosts the game.

Yeah I just checked Wikipedia after I posted. They discussed it during the offseason at the Owner's meetings, but decided not to change anything.

SibannacRex

Reaction score

I know that there was definitely discussion about this earlier this year in the owners' meeting. I don't know what the outcome was, however. Hopefully someone will shed light on this.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
CowboysNumeroUno;2449636 said:
Yeah I just checked Wikipedia after I posted. They discussed it during the offseason at the Owner's meetings, but decided not to change anything.

I was just about to say that. They discussed it but made no decision to change it at this time. They'll revisit it next meeting.

SibannacRex

Reaction score
Hopefully that will change after this year. Too many divisions are stacked (both Easts) and too many are weak (both Wests) for this to continue. It would suck for us to have to play in Lambeau field in the wildcard game if it works out that way.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Division winners deserve the home game. If the Cards are as bad as their record and division indicate, they'll be exposed at home.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
Manwiththeplan;2449661 said:
Division winners deserve the home game. If the Cards are as bad as their record and division indicate, they'll be exposed at home.
I respectfully disagree. There's a reason why the NBA changed their seeding rules.

bootsy

Benched
Reaction score
CowboysNumeroUno;2449636 said:
I read that on wiki also and there was a note that said Robert Kraft(owner of the Pats) was not in favor of having a division winner not host a playoff game. I bet if Robert's Patriots don't win the AFC East and have to go on the road to play 8-8 San Diego or Denver in the 1st round of the playoffs he will be in favor of it.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score

The NFL discussed making this type of change, but it wasn't done.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;2449617 said:
We're headed back to Zona.
We will be the #5 seed - the Falcons will fall out of the race and the Panthers will stumble in the next few months. That means we'll play the Bears or Vikings instead.

Either way, we should cruise in the wildcard round - but that divisional game in New York then looms. You can already tell how this is going to play out - fate sure has a sense of humor, doesn't it?

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
What I want to see is the two WCs in the CC game. Not sure that's ever happened. Or has it?

What I like is they reseed after each round.