Playoff seedings - scenario generator

Draegerman

Internet Somebody
Reaction score
This is a useful tool in helping you determine which teams make the playoffs (and their playoff seeding) as the season begins winding down. This will be extremely helpful for Cowboys fans, as I'm sure this question will be asked over and over again for the next few weeks regarding where the Cowboys fit into the current playoff picture. It will also project the playoff seedings for games that haven't been played yet (you determine the outcome). I've set it to "current standings" but it can be manipulated to whatever scenario the user dictates:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/playoffscenario?algorithm=currentstandings

Save this tool for future reference.

Draegerman

utrunner07

Reaction score
Draegerman;2472155 said:
This is a useful tool in helping you determine which teams make the playoffs (and their playoff seeding) as the season begins winding down. This will be extremely helpful for Cowboys fans, as I'm sure this question will be asked over and over again for the next few weeks regarding where the Cowboys fit into the current playoff picture. It will also project the playoff seedings for games that haven't been played yet (you determine the outcome). I've set it to "current standings" but it can be manipulated to whatever scenario the user dictates:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/playoffscenario?algorithm=currentstandings

Save this tool for future reference.

Draegerman

Cool stuff. Looks like to me we end up playing at Ariz or at Chicago. My vote would be Chicago.

Draegerman

Internet Somebody
Reaction score
Garland powerplay;2472165 said:
cool we'll take Minnesota in 1st round= Romos first playoff win.

Yep, it has us currently as the 6th seed playing the Vikings.

God, if only that were true. :pray:

Draegerman

Internet Somebody
Reaction score
utrunner07;2472187 said:
Cool stuff. Looks like to me we end up playing at Ariz or at Chicago. My vote would be Chicago.

Pick the teams that you think will win in Week 15 - Week 17. It will give you the final outcome for playoff contenders (and their seeding).

utrunner07

Reaction score
Biggems;2472196 said:
id rather play the Cards again.

yeah i had not thought about the weather factor, considering that I am with you...

BTW looking at this scenario thing, I believe that the NY game is a must win. If we loose it we are out.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
To me it looks like we have a good shot at making it in at 10-6 as long as we beat the Eagles (unless they lose another game then it won't be that big an issue). Not sure how the Commanders play into it because they don't have their loss from tonight factored in yet.

utrunner07

Reaction score
I don't think 10-6 makes it unless that loss is to the Ravens.

Draegerman

Internet Somebody
Reaction score
utrunner07;2472207 said:
yeah i had not thought about the weather factor, considering that I am with you...

BTW looking at this scenario thing, I believe that the NY game is a must win. If we loose it we are out.

Not true (although we'd need some help). Atlanta would have to lose next week to Tampa to keep us as the 6th seed. You can program the future games to determine each scenario.

Garland powerplay

Reaction score
I've been thinking all year I hope this doesn't come down to the last game against Philly. The Mcnabb benching didn't sway that. On the other hand wasn't last years final game meaningless? We all know what happened after the long layoff and bye. It would be better and proven road to fight all the way every week aka ..Giants & Steelers when they won the big show.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
LOL!

We're already counting playoffs, and we haven't even finished playing out our schedule.

Say it with me: one ... game ... at ... a ... time. ;)

Draegerman

Internet Somebody
Reaction score
Garland powerplay;2472259 said:
I've been thinking all year I hope this doesn't come down to the last game against Philly. The Mcnabb benching didn't sway that. On the other hand wasn't last years final game meaningless? We all know what happened after the long layoff and bye. It would be better and proven road to fight all the way every week aka ..Giants & Steelers when they won the big show.

I completely agree with this. We all know what happened last year when the Cowboys held the #1 seeding and took the last week off of the regular season (and then some). Don't need to repeat that mistake again. I say let the 'Boys fight, claw, spit, chew, punch, bite, do whatever it takes to get their way back into the playoffs with no letting up until the very end.

It might be the only way for them to finally achieve some success.

Bigdog

Reaction score
I programmed it that we win our next two and loose to the Eagles but Atlanta loses one there next three games and the Panthers lose two of their next three. We get the the 5th seed. Eagles get the 6th seed. We play the Vikings. There are so many scenarios. It will be interesting these next few weeks.

Draegerman

Internet Somebody
Reaction score
Bigdog;2472304 said:
I programmed it that we win our next two and loose to the Eagles but Atlanta loses one there next three games and the Panthers lose two of their next three. We get the the 5th seed. Eagles get the 6th seed. We play the Vikings. There are so many scenarios. It will be interesting these next few weeks.

It definitely takes the guesswork out of it. Now, with this tool, there's no reason for anyone to keep asking what happens to the Cowboys playoff chances if Team X or Team Y wins/loses.

Draegerman

Internet Somebody
Reaction score
tyke1doe;2472280 said:
LOL!

We're already counting playoffs, and we haven't even finished playing out our schedule.

Say it with me: one ... game ... at ... a ... time. ;)

Not really the point of this thread, tyke. This tool simply keeps you up to date with the current playoff seedings. How you decide to program it for future games is entirely your prerogative but it keeps it real in the present day scenario - and presently speaking, we're currently the 6th seed. ;)

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Draegerman;2472409 said:
Not really the point of this thread, tyke. This tool simply keeps you up to date with the current playoff seedings. How you decide to program it for future games is entirely your prerogative but it keeps it real in the present day scenario - and presently speaking, we're currently the 6th seed. ;)

Fair enough.

Thank you. :)

Draegerman

Internet Somebody
Reaction score
tyke1doe;2472516 said:
Fair enough.

Thank you. :)

You're welcome, tyke. I'm hoping the mods will make this link a sticky for the next few weeks so we can avoid having every other thread asking about our playoff seeding. That way we can get on to more important topics like:

1) Fire Wade NOW!!!
2) Why Does Bruce Reed Still Get a Paycheck?!!!
3) It's All T.O.'s Fault!!!

and my personal favorite...

4) Bring Back Brad Johnson!!!

;)

Draegerman

Internet Somebody
Reaction score
Forgot to add the instructions for the more advanced user:

Welcome to the Yahoo! Sports NFL Playoff Scenario Generator!
See how the playoff picture shapes up by following these instructions:

1.Choose which factor determines who will win each game in the 'Set wins by' menu. For example, choosing Yahoo! Team Ranking means the team with the higher Team Ranker ranking will always win. The default setting is that the team with the better winning percentage wins.

2.Adjust the winners for any matchup by clicking the button until the winner is highlighted.

3.Playoff matchups will update automatically based on your picks.

4.Click "My playoff scenario link" to get a link to share your scenario.

Frequently Asked Questions

What factors can I use to determine matchup winners?
Winning % - Team with the higher winning percentage wins
Yahoo! Team Ranking - Team with the higher Team Ranker
Season Ends Today - All matchups end with a tie
Offensive Rank - Team that averages more yards per game wins
Defensive Rank - Team that averages less yards allowed per game wins
Last Matchup - Team that won the last matchup between these teams wins
Current Streak - Team that has a better win streak wins
Home Team - Home team wins
Points Scored - Team that averages more points per game wins
Points Against - Team that averages less points allowed per game wins

Do predicted results factor in projected outcomes?
Factors are not adjusted based on projected outcomes. For example, if a team is 8-6 and is projected to win in week 15, their week 16 matchup is still determined by their 8-6 record.

How are ties broken?
1. Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games between the clubs).
2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.
3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.
4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
5. Strength of victory.
6. Coin Toss.

How do I choose a tie?
Click the button twice to predict a tie. Click the button again to select a team.

What is the "My Playoff Scenario Link"?
This link is specific to the scenario you selected. You can bookmark or copy this link to share the scenario that you built.