Please Help With Chat Room Problems

phildominator

Reaction score
I've downloaded all the necessary Java software. The log-in screen appears, I enter my name, and click on 'login.'

At the bottom of the window, it reads "connecting to server..." for about a minute and then goes away. Nothing happens after that except me getting frustrated.

Help!

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
phildominator said:
I've downloaded all the necessary Java software. The log-in screen appears, I enter my name, and click on 'login.'

At the bottom of the window, it reads "connecting to server..." for about a minute and then goes away. Nothing happens after that except me getting frustrated.

Help!

Are you behind a firewall?

phildominator

Reaction score
Possibly, since I have to sign on from work. However, I was able to sign on in the previous chat room format. Once we switched to the new version, I haven't been able to log on. Is it possible for a firewall to effect the newer version but not the older version?

Our firewalls at work haven't changed, from what I know.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
phildominator said:
Possibly, since I have to sign on from work. However, I was able to sign on in the previous chat room format. Once we switched to the new version, I haven't been able to log on. Is it possible for a firewall to effect the newer version but not the older version?

Our firewalls at work haven't changed, from what I know.

I would say that is the problem. :(

phildominator

Reaction score
Ok cool...well, I'll try logging in with my laptop from another location and see how that goes. Thanks!

It's for the better since I won't be logging in for the draft chat at work. I can do a real test trial.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
If you want to go througha firewall you have to have rights to set up a proxy server and ok port( I believe 8080).

I have the same issue at both home and work. I am not a fan of java.

phildominator

Reaction score
Ok, its 8pm on a Monday night and everything seems to be going well. I've been logged into the chat room for 15 minutes and it's still working. I just hope it stays like this on draft day. Thanks.

BigWillie

Reaction score
I didn't feel the need to start another thread about the chat room, so I'll post my problem here.

Specs:

Mozilla Firefox v1.0.3
Win98SE

I have downloaded the latest version of Java, so no worries about that. But the problems comes when the chatroom first loads. It causes an error in my Firefox browser that causes it to close. It happens when the chatroom immediately loads from the Java logo.

Any help?

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
BigWillie said:
I didn't feel the need to start another thread about the chat room, so I'll post my problem here.

Specs:

Mozilla Firefox v1.0.3
Win98SE

I have downloaded the latest version of Java, so no worries about that. But the problems comes when the chatroom first loads. It causes an error in my Firefox browser that causes it to close. It happens when the chatroom immediately loads from the Java logo.

Any help?

Odd...you are using the same version I am...however I do admit that on occasion I have trouble with the chat room while in firefox.
I notice that it takes forever to load and frequently will lock up on me while in chat.

I have come to the conclusion that as much as I like firefox...some things are just better off for me to use in Internet Explorer...this is one of those rare things that I use IE for now.

My suggestion is to use the IE (internet Explorer) for the chat room.

HOWEVER you can try this....in firefox goto tools option on your top bar.
Drop down menu and click on Options.

In the list on th right choose advanced.

Once in that new window choose....software update section.
Make sure those boxes are check marked and then click the check now button.

This will check for updates to firefox and any extensions you may have loaded on your firefox browser.

hope that helps. :cool:

BigWillie

Reaction score
Chat loads fine in IE. Why didn't I think of that?

It just takes forever to load on dial-up. I know, I know, but living in BFE, dial-up is the only type of connection they provide. : /

k19

Reaction score
I had to use IE last night because Firfox kept comming up with an error loading Java. As BP daid that may be the best bet I know it was for me