Poll: 13-3 vs Serious Changes

Route 66

Reaction score
I noticed that our camp seems divided in two parts. One, we are 13-3 so there should not be any large changes-perhaps a few tweaks. Two, this has gone on long enough and there needs to be something done with the coaching staff or quite a few of our players.

I'm happy we went 13-3 but isn't winning the big game the main goal here? If the road to the Super Bowl was the fact we went 8-8, then give me that run any day. That record was nice but it only "worked" when it was regular season. The NFL can almost be broken up into two seasons. The regular and the post. If someone is happy going through the year and going back to work on Monday or Tuesday and relishing a win, then this season was for you. But a lot here just want to see a move forward.

I for one can't honestly say what it is I would do to this team. We have had extremes both ways. Parcells with his nose to the grindstone and Philips with his "people/family" approach. What can bring this team into focus and have them play with some heart? Then again, can you really teach heart? We seem to have the players that have the skills to get the job done but I'm sure that is is not enough. I have seen inferior players and teams almost beat the Patriots at times. You could tell they gave it all they had and got close quite a few times. It seemed like the other teams brought it on, the Patriots went "whoah" and pulled the reigns in and played to win the second half.

It seems we just have not had that mentality. Yes we played good second half football and overall, we won 13 games. That is a good accomplishment. We know how to win the NFC. I am not as disturbed like some here about the mechanics of our failure to put the win together on Sunday. I am not concerned about the dropped passes, the OL or anything else as much as I thought I was. I am more concerned about the heart of this team. Sure we have some issues at various positions, but I still feel even with the team we have now, that we can get to the Super Bowl if each player played their absolute best. That goes back to the heart issue of the team and where does that change? Is it the coaching, players, owner, what?

This reminds me of the Jimmy Johnson to Switzer time period. Although you can't compare the coaches, it just reminds me of the time that we went from JJ to Switzer who did not have the serious approach JJ brought. If I had control of this team, I would have a meeting and tell them, "I don't care if we are here all day. I want to figure out once and for all what the problem is with you guys." Quite a few people here will disagree with me and state that we simply lost the game due to some bad plays and poor decisions here and there along with some bad play calling. Yes, I agree about that but there was also a Giants team who showed a difference between heart and another team with a star on their helmet that showed a lack thereof.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Major changes? I don't think Major changes will take place. Because we are in FA and salary cap era there will be some changes but I don't think or expect major changes on this team.

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
I just hope something is done about the secondary - anything else is gravy...

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
The secondary has to be the biggest concearn, I would also like to see Glenn gone and someone else brought in to compete with Crayton.

Canadian BoyzFan

Reaction score
The secondary, another WR, and some attitude. I am tired of the entitlement players like Roy have. If you suck, you sit plain and simple. Start playing the best players, consider cutting someone for "show" to keep the team on edge like Jimmy used to do.

The team needs a culture change, for the most part the talent is there.

AmishCowboy

if you ain't first, you're last
Reaction score
If this team was like the Eagles and went to 4 or 5 NFC Championship games and lost and started to get some age on it, then I would say make Wholesale changes, however we have a young stud QB and a very talented Roster, so add some draft picks and 1 or 2 FA and we should be fine.

Route 66

Reaction score
You can tell heart and the lack thereof by watching Marion Barber and comparing him to other players. Barber goes all out on every down. He is one of my favorite players on the team but I do not think he would be nearly as good on talent alone if it wasn't for what he brings to each down. That guy brings it to every game and his ethic makes a lot of others look bad.

At this point, I would rather go 6-10 in a season and see our entire team give all that they can then what we went through. At least we would know that they were short on talent but had the heart. Some may not call me a fan for saying that but I would rather be a fan of a team that went and played the best they could and brought everything to the game. Its like one of those things you say to your child. Sure you want them to win and succeed but if they gave everything they had, that is all you can ask of them.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
This team was a 13-3 regular season team that dodged a few bullet losses. Without a little bit of luck we could have gone 10-6.

Its gonna be hard to top this next year. Its gonna depend on which way the ball bounces.

I see 10-6 or 11-5.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
At this point, I would rather go 6-10 in a season and see our entire team give all that they can then what we went through.

Chocolate Lab;1906939 said:

I know right.... LOL

I would much rather someone take my hundred dollars so I can work on making the next hundred. :confused:

Boysboy

Reaction score
Major changes? NO! But MINOR changes? Not so sure either.

We do have some holes:

ILB

Nickel Corner

SS(although I CAN live with Roy)

LG(Ditto like above, but Kosier can be upgraded nonetheless)

WR

And last, but not least, a NEANDERTHAL in the locker room/on the sidelines. To be honest, I really like Wade's approach of letting his team leaders take (large)part in bringing accountability to the other players, but the big problem is that we have NOONE to do so. It's not like the HC can do it all by himself.

Do I see '07 as a moral victory? NO-however, I AM optimistic about '08, assuming will fill some gaping holes here.

Mavs Man

All outta bubble gum
Reaction score
In 2004 the #1 seed Steelers went 15-1 and were knocked out by the Patriots at home in the AFC Championship game. The next year they went 10-6 with largely the same coach and roster, didn't even win theirdivision, but as a sixth seed won out on their road to a Super Bowl victory.

In 2005 the Colts went 14-2 and the #1 seed and were unceremoniously dumped in the divisional round by the Super Bowl-bound Steelers. The next year they went 12-4 with largely the same team, including a quarterback who had never won the big game, went on to win the Super Bowl.

We have a young and talented roster with few weaknesses, and a young and talented quarterback, one of the best in the league, to lead them. Is blowing it up really going to solve all the problems? It can be done with the team we have. I like the idea of adding some veteran leadership in role player positions, but the bulk of the leadership needs to come from within.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Mavs Man;1906963 said:
In 2004 the #1 seed Steelers went 15-1 and were knocked out by the Patriots at home in the AFC Championship game. The next year they went 10-6 with largely the same coach and roster, didn't even win theirdivision, but as a sixth seed won out on their road to a Super Bowl victory.

In 2005 the Colts went 14-2 and the #1 seed and were unceremoniously dumped in the divisional round by the Super Bowl-bound Steelers. The next year they went 12-4 with largely the same team, including a quarterback who had never won the big game, went on to win the Super Bowl.
And you can add this year's Chargers to that list of examples as well. They may not win it all, but they clearly learned something from last year's playoff loss after a great regular season.

Boysboy

Reaction score
Mavs Man;1906963 said:

We have a young and talented roster with few weaknesses, and a young and talented quarterback, one of the best in the league, to lead them. Is blowing it up really going to solve all the problems? It can be done with the team we have. I like the idea of adding some veteran leadership in role player positions, but the bulk of the leadership needs to come from within.

And sadly, there was the Baltimore Ravens in '06, while at the #2 seed, nonetheless had a 13-3 record, and got bounced out in the AFCDG by these Colts. The year after, despite some preseason pundits crowning them AFC champs, they had alot of in-house fighting, inconsistent play, and a season-ending 9 game losing streak, including losing to the winless Fins.

OK-no way, we will NEVER be the '06/'07 Ravens, we are FINE. Yes-I am very optimistic about next year, but was just looking at the other side of the coin, that's all.