Pompei on coaching moves (Garrett mention)

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
Cowher likely in big demand
But some fresh faces could draw attention ahead of old pros

By Dan Pompei
Chicago Tribune

Open season for coaching vacancies officially has begun thanks to the abrupt departure of Atlanta Falcons coach Bobby Petrino.

General managers around the league are comparing notes on whom the most sought-after candidates will be. After speaking with several front-office men, I have compiled a consensus list of the coaches who are expected to attract the most interest. Here they are, in order of interest:

• Former Steelers coach Bill Cowher.A proven winner, he probably would be the first choice of every team. Cowher has indicated he's not coming back next season, though an offer from the Panthers might be tempting because he lives in North Carolina.

• Cowboys offensive coordinator Jason Garrett.He has a great pedigree. He comes from a football family, has a Princeton education, was an NFL backup quarterback for 11 years, played for Jimmy Johnson, Norv Turner, Jim Fassel, Sean Payton and Jon Gruden and coached under Nick Saban. To say nothing of his tremendous success with Tony Romo this year. Every team will want to interview Garrett, and it would not be shocking if Cowboys owner Jerry Jones is willing to replace Wade Phillips with Garrett next year instead of losing him.

• Seahawks secondary coach Jim Mora.He had a 26-22 record as a head coach in three seasons with the Falcons, and there is little doubt he will be a head coach again. The Dolphins interviewed him in the off-season and were impressed. He could end up in Miami if Cam Cameron is fired.

• 49ers assistant head coach Mike Singletary.It will take a special situation for Singletary. Some teams will be scared off because he never has been a coordinator. But the Falcons interviewed him last year and loved him. He is expected to be a leading candidate in Atlanta.

• Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels.His work with Tom Brady and his association with Bill Belichick will pique curiosity. But the fact he's only 31 might work against him.

• Former Chargers coach Marty Schottenheimer.The good: You would know exactly what you are getting. The bad: You would know exactly what you are getting.

• Titans defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz.This bright coach is an economics major who has a different way of looking at the game. For someone open to a non-traditional approach, Schwartz could be very appealing.

• Cardinals offensive line coach Russ Grimm. He has been a bridesmaid twice. He will get kissed eventually.

• Ravens defensive coordinator Rex Ryan. Buddy's kid has drawn attention with aggressive defensive schemes—like his old man.

Others who could be in the mix include Commanders defensive boss Gregg Williams,Lions offensive coordinator Mike Martz,Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo, former Giants coach Fassel, former Cardinals coach Dennis Green,former Lions coach Steve Mariucci,Browns offensive coordinator Rob Chudzinski,Chargers linebackers coach Ron Rivera and Steelers offensive coordinator Bruce Ariens

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I disagree with him in that Jones is not going to kick Phillips to the curb. I think Jerry will do what he can to keep Jason short of canning Phillips.

khiladi

Reaction score
It will not be shocking for JJ to replace a Coach that has set the franchise record for best record simply to keep Garrett? No, that is shocking...

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Doomsday101;1832600 said:
I disagree with him in that Jones is not going to kick Phillips to the curb. I think Jerry will do what he can to keep Jason short of canning Phillips.

I agree.

I think it would take an epic disaster like losing the first game in the Playoffs, for Wade Phillips to get the boot next year.

Even then I doubt Jerry Jones would pull the trigger and he has never fired a coach after the 1st Season.

Even Campo got 3 Seasons and as someone noted we have more wins under Wade Phillips than all 3 Seasons under Campo if we win out.

03EBZ06

Need2Speed
Reaction score
With the way things are going, I just can't see Jerry Jones letting WP walk for JG, even if we don't make it to SB, I believe WP will be back for next season.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
If mike martz gets hired, that owner and gm should be removed from the league.

having said that I hope gibbs retires and they hire Mike martz, it would make perfect sense given the quality of Vinny Cerrato and dan snyder when it comes to football decisions.

HTownCowboysFan

Reaction score
...it would not be shocking if Cowboys owner Jerry Jones is willing to replace Wade Phillips with Garrett next year instead of losing him.

That's nothing more than speculation. In other words, A LOAD OF CRAP.

khiladi

Reaction score
theebs;1832625 said:

having said that I hope gibbs retires and they hire Mike martz, it would make perfect sense given the quality of Vinny Cerrato and dan snyder when it comes to football decisions.

They will probably hire him, based upon the performance the Detroit offense did against Dallas. This is how the Commanders always measure themselves. I live in the DC area, so all day, I will here about how the Commanders got this great coach, and how he had the Dallas defense on the ropes.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Uh...yeah, it would be shocking and remarkably stupid to replace a (potentially) 15-1 coach.

Pukindog

Reaction score
theogt;1832870 said:
Uh...yeah, it would be shocking and remarkably stupid to replace a (potentially) 15-1 coach.

I agree but it also wouldn't surprise me if Wade was let go for fear of JG getting away. The reason I state this is because of the way Landry was treated. Yeah, I know, different situation and JJ is probably smarter, but it still wouldn't surprise me.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Pukindog;1833017 said:
I agree but it also wouldn't surprise me if Wade was let go for fear of JG getting away. The reason I state this is because of the way Landry was treated. Yeah, I know, different situation and JJ is probably smarter, but it still wouldn't surprise me.

The main person who wanted Landry gone was H.R. Bright. He was the main ochestrater of that and even bragged about how he got what he wanted but Jerry Jones got all of the blame.

And as you stated, it is a totally different situation.

No way does Jerry Jones make that move. The guy loves the idea of a river boat gambler but he would not take that wager.

TheDuke

How 'Bout Dem Cowboys
Reaction score
• Titans defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz.This bright coach is an economics major who has a different way of looking at the game. For someone open to a non-traditional approach, Schwartz could be very appealing.

what's the story with this guy? I'm not familiar with him and was wondering what makes his approach different.

Kaika

Have a Good Day Pilgrims
Reaction score
I'm sorry, :( but without J.G. we are not the same team.

Wade has done a great job ,but I think it's J.G. who drives the team.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
sandtrapp;1833040 said:

I thought Sparano did a great job last year, especially given the shackles BP appeared to have on the offense.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
theebs;1832625 said:

Or Denny Green. What kind of GM looks at Green and says "Well, this sounds like a good idea."

Pukindog

Reaction score
mickgreen58;1833027 said:
The main person who wanted Landry gone was H.R. Bright. He was the main ochestrater of that and even bragged about how he got what he wanted but Jerry Jones got all of the blame.

And as you stated, it is a totally different situation.

No way does Jerry Jones make that move. The guy loves the idea of a river boat gambler but he would not take that wager.

This is from Wikipedia:

Like Murchison, Bright was not involved in the day-to-day operations of the Cowboys, leaving those responsibilities to team General Manager Tex Schramm. Compared with the other owners, the Cowboys were least successful under Bright, only reaching the playoffs once in Bright's five seasons and winning no playoff games. In fairness, Bright owned the team far fewer years that his predecessor Murchison or his successor Jones. During his tenure, Bright had a strained relationship with legendary Cowboys head coach Tom Landry (who had been friendly with Murchison). After a loss to Atlanta in the 1987 season, Bright said he was "horrifed" with Landry's play calling and said nobody in charge "other than Tex" seems to know what they're doing, viewed as a thinly disguised shot at Landry. Bright sold the Dallas Cowboys to Jerry Jones in 1989.

Wow. I didn't know that. Thanks for the knowledge. :thumbup:

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Pukindog;1833064 said:
This is from Wikipedia:

Like Murchison, Bright was not involved in the day-to-day operations of the Cowboys, leaving those responsibilities to team General Manager Tex Schramm. Compared with the other owners, the Cowboys were least successful under Bright, only reaching the playoffs once in Bright's five seasons and winning no playoff games. In fairness, Bright owned the team far fewer years that his predecessor Murchison or his successor Jones. During his tenure, Bright had a strained relationship with legendary Cowboys head coach Tom Landry (who had been friendly with Murchison). After a loss to Atlanta in the 1987 season, Bright said he was "horrifed" with Landry's play calling and said nobody in charge "other than Tex" seems to know what they're doing, viewed as a thinly disguised shot at Landry. Bright sold the Dallas Cowboys to Jerry Jones in 1989.

Wow. I didn't know that. Thanks for the knowledge. :thumbup:

No problem.

I don't think Jerry handled it in the greatest of fashion and would have gotten rid of Landry too, but alot of that was Bum Bright (RIP) the big A&M Alum :) .

lspain1

Reaction score
sandtrapp;1833040 said:

I dispute this, and more importantly, the Cowboys players dispute this. Brady James was on Sirius today and wanted to stay on the line specifically to praise Wade Phillips as the guy who had made the difference between last year and this year. I like Jason Garrett, but Wade Phillips is the guy and you are not giving him NEARLY enough credit.

03EBZ06

Need2Speed
Reaction score
sandtrapp;1833040 said:
Incorrect. May not be the same OFFENSE.

I disagree. JG runs offense, not the entire team, WP drives the team.