'Popcorn lung' lawsuit: Denver man gets $7.2-million verdict

joseephuss

Reaction score
http://www.latimes.com/news/nation/nationnow/la-na-nn-popcorn-lung-20120920,0,5986889.story

'Popcorn lung' lawsuit: Denver man gets $7.2-million verdict

A Denver man who says he ate two bags of microwaved popcorn every day for about 10 years has won a $7.2-million verdict after he developed an ailment often referred to as "popcorn lung."

It's an illness that can be traced back to the chemicals used to give popcorn a buttery flavoring without all the calories. The chemical -- an artificial flavoring called diacetyl, is no longer used in artificial flavoring and some experts see a possible link between diacetyl and Alzheimer's, according to ABC News.

After Wayne Watson developed respiratory problems in 2007, he sued the manufacturer and the store that sold it. "I probably look like a fairly healthy guy but I only have, on a good day, about 53% lung capacity," Watson told ABC News.

Wayne Watson's attorney, Ken McClain, told the Associated Press that a federal jury granted the award Wednesday against Gilster-Mary Lee Corp., The Kroger Co. and Dillon Companies Inc. after he developed his respiratory ailments. A claim against flavor developer FONA International Inc. was settled separately, the news service reported.

Watson's attorneys argued the companies should have warned customers inhaling the buttery aroma could put them at risk of lung damage.

a_minimalist

Reaction score
This is something I have been talking about for years. I wouldn't be surprised if more and more things like this start popping up all over the place with different foods. The crap they put in our food today is just crazy. Apparently we need our food to last forever, as if we won't be eating it in the next week or two.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I feel bad for the guy, but why was he eating two bags of popcorn for 10 years?

That's an insane dietary habit.

joseephuss

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;4753825 said:
I feel bad for the guy, but why was he eating two bags of popcorn for 10 years?

That's an insane dietary habit.

No doubt. I barely eat two bags in a single year.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
There might be too many preservatives in today's food, but at some point common sense should prevail. Whatever someone chooses to eat twice a day for 10 years, it will catch up to them (not talking fruits and veggies here). Diet is all about moderation and balance.

On a kind of related note, microwaves are bad. I rarely use mine, there is nothing natural about nuking food. Give me a grilled filet, baked potato and some corn everyday for 10 years over a microwaved pizza, a twinkie and some chips for the same duration; we will see who comes out better.

vta

The Proletariat
Reaction score
Makes sense: plastic tasting garbage = ill health.

I'm not sure if he has a true right to be suing anybody, but I guess it is a good lesson learned and the common sense should come in in the area of modifying our foods with synthetic garbage and just use natural foods.

I know it's all cool and science-y, but we can't do a better job than what's naturally there, that much is clear and the experiment should just stop. Fake butter, Splenda, Equal, all that junk, no thanks.

DallasCowpoke

Fierce Allegiance
Reaction score
dexternjack;4753838 said:
nothing natural about nuking food. Give me a grilled filet, baked potato and some corn everyday for 10 years over a microwaved pizza, a twinkie and some chips for the same duration; we will see who comes out better.

It likely will be a wash. 82% of the calories in corn are carbs and 92% for potatoes. Without an adequate source of vitamin D and a better source of vitamin C, you'll be enjoying a nice case of rickets and/or scurvy.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
DallasCowpoke;4753960 said:
It likely will be a wash. 82% of the calories in corn are carbs and 92% for potatoes. Without an adequate source of vitamin D and a better source of vitamin C, you'll be enjoying a nice case of rickets and/or scurvy.
Ok....I hear you, I will throw in a grapefruit and a glass of milk for breakfast.