Pope unconscious and near death - Vatican reports

CowboyPrincess

Priceless
Reaction score
Yeagermeister said:
I was raised a baptist but I don't really follow any religion.

I was raised Southern Baptist, but had converted with my 1st marriage. When I learned of a peticular requirement that I was uncomfortable with while divorcing, I left the church and went back to Baptist.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Crown Royal said:
My brother swears that all Christianity is a cult....

I think most major religions are a cult.

Merriam Webster defines cult as...

Main Entry: cult
Pronunciation: 'k&lt
Function: noun
Usage: often attributive
Etymology: French & Latin; French culte, from Latin cultus care, adoration, from colere to cultivate -- more at WHEEL
1 : formal religious veneration : WORSHIP
2 : a system of religious beliefs and ritual; also : its body of adherents
3 : a religion regarded as unorthodox or spurious; also : its body of adherents

There were a couple of other lines/definitions that really do not fit the topic.

But I think you could call any major religion a cult by definition.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
CowboysPrincess said:
I was raised Southern Baptist, but had converted with my 1st marriage. When I learned of a peticular requirement that I was uncomfortable with while divorcing, I left the church and went back to Baptist.

Jus Prima Noctae?

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
I think most major religions are a cult.

Merriam Webster defines cult as...

Main Entry: cult
Pronunciation: 'k&lt
Function: noun
Usage: often attributive
Etymology: French & Latin; French culte, from Latin cultus care, adoration, from colere to cultivate -- more at WHEEL
1 : formal religious veneration : WORSHIP
2 : a system of religious beliefs and ritual; also : its body of adherents
3 : a religion regarded as unorthodox or spurious; also : its body of adherents

There were a couple of other lines/definitions that really do not fit the topic.

But I think you could call any major religion a cult by definition.

By that definition you could easily argue that all spirituality is cult. However, I think there are other definitions we are referring to...

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Crown Royal said:
Jus Prima Noctae?

lmao!!!!

So there was an english lord at her church that had an eye on her eh? ;) :p:

CowboyPrincess

Priceless
Reaction score
Crown Royal said:
When was the position created? (Sorry - my history of the Byzantine era is a little shady). Wasn't it sever hundred years AD or so?

more like a few thousand. There have been over 250 Popes.. the first being St. Peter and the latest being Pope John Paul II

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Crown Royal said:
By that definition you could easily argue that all spirituality is cult. However, I think there are other definitions we are referring to...

Yes you could argue that all spirituality is a cult.
The only reason other definitions may wish to be used, is in order to defend or justify one faith/religion over the other.

If you step away from any bias towards a faith/religion, you would see that they all fit under the definition.

It is just the word cult as it is seen by many only applies to what faith/religion that they deem bad.

CowboyPrincess

Priceless
Reaction score
Crown Royal said:
Jus Prima Noctae?

No... it was too late to "deflower" me

It was the practice of a young couple having to live with another Catholic family before divorce and getting permission, even in cases of severe abuse or attempted murder of the bride...

They were denying me the right to divorce after being nearly killed by him. Told me it was my wifely duty to do as he said and to except the consequences of not making him happy

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
Yes you could argue that all spirituality is a cult.
The only reason other definitions may wish to be used, is in order to defend or justify one faith/religion over the other.

If you step away from any bias towards a faith/religion, you would see that they all fit under the definition.

It is just the word cult as it is seen by many only applies to what faith/religion that they deem bad.

I think when one thinks 'cult' they think modern day movements such as the Branch Davidian. While one might argure that Christianity and other faiths developed the same way, it might also be safe to seperate the two as different definitions (if even just for posterity).

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
CowboysPrincess said:

It was the practice of a young couple having to live with another Catholic family before divorce and getting permission, even in cases of severe abuse or attempted murder of the bride...

They were denying me the right to divorce after being nearly killed by him. Told me it was my wifely duty to do as he said and to except the consequences of not making him happy

If Jterrel had not posted a sticky yesterday that forces me to behave myself, I would have said something in response that might have been offensive....:p:

That being said, my apologies to the situation, glad you got out and are now living what seems to be a nice life with your new man....

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Crown Royal said:
I think when one thinks 'cult' they think modern day movements such as the Branch Davidian. While one might argure that Christianity and other faiths developed the same way, it might also be safe to seperate the two as different definitions (if even just for posterity).

But wasn't the Branch Davidians christians...who just happened to think David K was jesus...funny how jesus needed glasses and guns.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
CowboysPrincess said:

You know I am old school....I think you do your best to make a marriage work....but there are times when some things are just not meant to be, when a couple just needs to part ways.
And for a couple to be told to stay together when some of those situations come up...I just have to say is insane.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
But wasn't the Branch Davidians christians...who just happened to think David K was jesus...funny how jesus needed glasses and guns.

Gullible Christians if they were...