Portis is a welcher!

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
Maybe he just forgot.

I'll sell my high school jersey to anyone here for 40k. PM me if interested.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
YOu guys must be joking...who in his right mind would pay a guy on a deal that meant nothing after the other guy was cut before the season started....lmao. If it was even for 1 game, I could see an argument here, but to come to an agreement to get your jersey number from a guy who subsequently gets cut and doesn't have a right to it when the season starts anyway?....that's insane....Portis won't have to pay that guy anything.

I guess if Portis had been injured in preseason or cut and hadn't needed the number and Ohelete had worn it, you'd think Portis still owed him money for the verbal agreement??? Come on....Ohelete wore whatever number he wanted in Arizona because he wasn't a Commander when the season started...

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
wayne_motley said:
YOu guys must be joking...who in his right mind would pay a guy on a deal that meant nothing after the other guy was cut before the season started....lmao. If it was even for 1 game, I could see an argument here, but to come to an agreement to get your jersey number from a guy who subsequently gets cut and doesn't have a right to it when the season starts anyway?....that's insane....Portis won't have to pay that guy anything.

I guess if Portis had been injured in preseason or cut and hadn't needed the number and Ohelete had worn it, you'd think Portis still owed him money for the verbal agreement??? Come on....Ohelete wore whatever number he wanted in Arizona because he wasn't a Commander when the season started...

One big thing. It wasn't a verbal agreement. They had a signed contract.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Danny White said:
One big thing. It wasn't a verbal agreement. They had a signed contract.
Good point, but the guy didn't even have the right to the number, did he? Don't you have to make the team to have the right to the number....I just think this is sort of silly, but then again, Ohelete is probably a minimum wager in the NFL and needs the 40,000, so more power to him.

Tio

Armchair QB
Reaction score
wayne_motley said:
Good point, but the guy didn't even have the right to the number, did he? Don't you have to make the team to have the right to the number....I just think this is sort of silly, but then again, Ohelete is probably a minimum wager in the NFL and needs the 40,000, so more power to him.
I would love to have Ohalate. Besides, there was no claus in the contract on something like that, and noone had any idea he would be cut with his solid performances.

Jimz31

The Sarcastic One
Reaction score
wayne_motley said:

Like the guy DallasInDC said....Contract Law IS pretty cut and dry on this issue. I've got experience with Contract Law......I would be super-surprised if any judge would rule in CP's favor.

Once a contract is signed.....and Ohalete was part of the team and lived up to his end of the deal, it DOESN'T matter what happens after the fact. Whether he makes the team or not.

He could have given him his number for ONE DAY and then been cut, and the contract is still in force.

CP should just pay it.....he's gonna take a hit with publicity for what is really a drop in the bucket for what he makes.

jay cee

Reaction score
Where is Judge Judy when you need her. She'd straighten that little welcher out, pronto.:mad:

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Tio said:
I would love to have Ohalate. Besides, there was no claus in the contract on something like that, and noone had any idea he would be cut with his solid performances.
solid performances??? are you kidding?...they haven't had a decent safety in a while, and after signing Taylor, they were so low on Ohalate that they moved Bown from FS to SS just to cut him.

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
Predictably, there seems to be more to this story than Ohalete's lawyer is letting on. :rolleyes:

Seems that Portis has paid $20,000 of the $40,000, and thinks he has done other things that square them up.

I still think Portis sucks and is an a-hole and probably kicks little old ladies in his spare time, but don't be surprised when he mounts a vigorous defense to these charges.

starfrombirth

Reaction score
wayne_motley said:

Actually..according to business laws he will have to pay. They signed a contract based on principle and good faith. The fact that one player was cut after the fact has no bearing on it. :jints:

KINGBRICE_28

Reaction score
#1- ifeay would win this in court

#2- No fan expected that cut

Even though ifeay is correct I understand portis because he would've got it anyways. Welcher na......cheap oh yeah.....lol

Trade portis for alexander :cool: