Possible 2007 Starting 22

gosuns

Reaction score
How would everyone feel about this REALISTIC starting lineup for next season????

QB - Romo
RB - Jones/Barber
FB - Hoyte
WR - Owens
WR - Glenn/Crayton
TE - Witten
LT - Adams
LG - Kosier
C - Gurode
RG - Stienbach - FA aquisition from the Bengals***
RT - Columbo

DE - Spears/Hatcher
NT - Ferguson
DE - Canty/Ratliff
OLB - Ware
MLB - Donnie Edwards - I believe he's either a FA or is going to be released because of cap reseasons.***
MLB - Ayodelle
OLB - Ellis/Carpetner
SS - Williams
FS - Reggie Nelson - 1st round draft pick***
CB - Terrance Newman
CB - Anthony Henry

That's 3 new starters that Dallas could realistically get and afford. I think these 3 additions would be enough to put Dallas into contention. Also both Steinbach and Edwards I feel are can't miss FA aquisitions that will produce immediate results!

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
I'm skeptical that we are going after a MLB in FA after having resigned James to that big deal, as well as adding Aydole last off season.

Any changes at ILB are likely to come from within, with either Burnett or Carpenter.

I agree we may go after a RG, probably the biggest weakness on the OL. Kosier was good enough, and at least contributed in space. Colombo was pretty damn good, and so were Adams and Gurode. Rivera was a real liablity as he had no real push and was not very mobile.

jesusdlg

Reaction score
Question... who do you think it might be a good backup NT?

I like the lineup, but I think we need to have a good backup there. Maybe someone available on the draft?

slick325

Reaction score
gosuns;1376490 said:
How would everyone feel about this REALISTIC starting lineup for next season????

QB - Romo
RB - Jones/Barber
FB - Hoyte
WR - Owens
WR - Glenn/Crayton
TE - Witten
LT - Adams
LG - Kosier
C - Gurode
RT - Columbo

DE - Spears/Hatcher
NT - Ferguson
DE - Canty/Ratliff
OLB - Ware
MLB - Donnie Edwards - I believe he's either a FA or is going to be released because of cap reseasons.***
MLB - Ayodelle
OLB - Ellis/Carpetner
SS - Williams
CB - Terrance Newman
CB - Anthony Henry

That's 3 new starters that Dallas could realistically get and afford. I think these 3 additions would be enough to put Dallas into contention. Also both Steinbach and Edwards I feel are can't miss FA aquisitions that will produce immediate results!

Would love to add Steinbach. Love the idea of Reggie Nelson back there as well or Brandon Meriweather. However, I have stated this a million times, I can't foresee any scenario, except due to injury, that Bradie James is not starting. Jerry has invested too much money in the starters for him to have any on the bench.

Sad to say but Cowboys fans need to let go of the idea that we add another OLB thru free agency unless he is a depth person or the idea that we add another OLB via the 1st or 2nd round in the draft. Too much has been spent in the last three years to justify it. I can see a LB added in either round 3 or round 4 or a lower tier free agent for depth purposes.

carphalen5150

Reaction score
jesusdlg;1376501 said:
Question... who do you think it might be a good backup NT?

I like the lineup, but I think we need to have a good backup there. Maybe someone available on the draft?
Terdell Sands would be someone to consider. I do think though that we should look at DTs in the draft. Okoye is a stud, but he is not a 3-4 anchor.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
I agree with the others that have already commented: we aren't likely to go after a high-dollar FA LB. Still you never know what Phillips might do and most coaches like to bring in guys who played for them previously so if we were to bring in a LB it would very likely be one of the Chargers.

Thank you for posting a truly realistic proposal. I cringed before opening this thread expecting to see yet another impossible scenario but yours is quite reasonable and do-able.

I am still hopeful that we will let Owens go and look to replace him both in the draft and in FA. I just do not believe he is worth the money and headaches and I would like to bring up a younger WR to groom for the future. It would be nice to see what Crayton, Hurd, & Miles can do if given a chance.

Terrance Copper played very well for the Saints this year when Horn was out and we let him go to keep the other 3 guys so hopefully they have something.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
THUMPER;1376525 said:
I agree with the others that have already commented: we aren't likely to go after a high-dollar FA LB. Still you never know what Phillips might do and most coaches like to bring in guys who played for them previously so if we were to bring in a LB it would very likely be one of the Chargers.

Thank you for posting a truly realistic proposal. I cringed before opening this thread expecting to see yet another impossible scenario but yours is quite reasonable and do-able.

I am still hopeful that we will let Owens go and look to replace him both in the draft and in FA. I just do not believe he is worth the money and headaches and I would like to bring up a younger WR to groom for the future. It would be nice to see what Crayton, Hurd, & Miles can do if given a chance.

Terrance Copper played very well for the Saints this year when Horn was out and we let him go to keep the other 3 guys so hopefully they have something.

sorry bro, just because he gives you headaches doesn't mean he deserves to get cut

superpunk

Reaction score
This thread is worthless without Ricky Ray. :mad:

Larry thinks he's gonna be a good one.

sonnyboy

Benched
Reaction score
gosuns;1376490 said:

QB - Romo
RB - Jones/Barber
FB - Hoyte
WR - Owens
WR - Glenn/Crayton
TE - Witten
LT - Adams
LG - Kosier
C - Gurode
RT - Columbo

DE - Spears/Hatcher
NT - Ferguson
DE - Canty/Ratliff
OLB - Ware
MLB - Ayodelle
OLB - Ellis/Carpetner
SS - Williams
CB - Terrance Newman
CB - Anthony Henry

I love doing this stuff myself.

Love the roster. Don't think Edwards is a fit/priority. Now if Phillips wants him, I'm all for it.
I just think we have enough quality options at LB.

Do think we need to make a serious investment at NT and FS.
Ferguson was outstanding but at 33 years old, you have to worry about him taking as many snaps in 2007.

The real question is CAN THIS ROSTER REPRESENT THE NFC IN SUPERBOWL.
I say yes.

Tass

Lucky Devil
Reaction score
Billy Bullocks;1376498 said:
Any changes at ILB are likely to come from within, with either Burnett or Carpenter.

I dunno, man. Both Burnett and Carp are pretty fast. Don't you think they'd be better served on the edge where they would have more of an opportunity to get after the QB?

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
Tass;1376563 said:
I dunno, man. Both Burnett and Carp are pretty fast. Don't you think they'd be better served on the edge where they would have more of an opportunity to get after the QB?

I think that this will be their role as well. But people have talked about moving Carpenter inside, and this probably depends on Burnett. We've invested heavily at the LB spot over the last 2-3 years, so I'm not sure if we are going to pump more money into that position.

Taking Brady James out of the nickel alone will probably make the guy look better. He's not that great in pass coverage, and he seeemd to get worn out at the end of the season,.

eduncan22

Benched
Reaction score
It's amazing that people still think Henry is a worthwhile CB.

You'd think that the $11 million [Thats MILLION] thats been wasted on this guy could have been spent elsewhere.

I would be very surprised, and disappointed, if Wade P keeps this guy on the roster.

March 1st will be here soon.

parchy

Reaction score
Bradie James will start the season at ILB. He may not end it there, but he'll be there on Week 1.

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
eduncan22;1376663 said:
It's amazing that people still think Henry is a worthwhile CB.

You'd think that the $11 million [Thats MILLION] thats been wasted on this guy could have been spent elsewhere.

I would be very surprised, and disappointed, if Wade P keeps this guy on the roster.

March 1st will be here soon.

Henry is not the greatest CB. BUt we signed him on to be a #2, and he has been as good as most #2 corners out there.

Factor in a few things, and Henry looks alot better than you would think:
-Pressure, or lack thereof. No one can cover a WR for very long without pressure. It just doesn't work.
-Safeties. So you have less help from your front 7 than you would like, and top of that, the guys who are supposed to help you over the top play like garbage too.
-Terrance Newman. The guy was rarely picked on, so many passes went Henry's way. You aren't going to have 2 shut down corners on one roster. Also, by the law of averages, when you get thrown as much as Henry did, you are going to get beat at times as well.
-Injuries. Henry has been mildly dinged up both seasons here.

Bear in mind that I am not making excuses for Henry. He needs to step up this year for sure. But I don't think he's as bad as many of you paint him to be.

smarta5150

Mr. Wright
Reaction score
I still dont understand why so many people around here wanna replace a Sophomore FS with a ROOKIE FS.

Who the heck knows that Landry or Nelson can make that great an impact?

If we move for a FS it will be a veteran safety that we KNOW can get the job done until Watkins is ready to step up.

FS in the 1st round will be a total waste of a pick.

eduncan22

Benched
Reaction score
Billy Bullocks;1376865 said:
Henry is not the greatest CB. BUt we signed him on to be a #2, and he has been as good as most #2 corners out there.

Factor in a few things, and Henry looks alot better than you would think:
-Pressure, or lack thereof. No one can cover a WR for very long without pressure. It just doesn't work.
-Safeties. So you have less help from your front 7 than you would like, and top of that, the guys who are supposed to help you over the top play like garbage too.
-Terrance Newman. The guy was rarely picked on, so many passes went Henry's way. You aren't going to have 2 shut down corners on one roster. Also, by the law of averages, when you get thrown as much as Henry did, you are going to get beat at times as well.
-Injuries. Henry has been mildly dinged up both seasons here.

Bear in mind that I am not making excuses for Henry. He needs to step up this year for sure. But I don't think he's as bad as many of you paint him to be.

Henry's contract contains $11 Million in guaranteed money.

He makes more than Newman.

He makes more than most of the players on the team.

Please review the following video if you have any questions about the how terrible this player is. This play cost us the Commanders game.

http://i89.***BLOCKED***/albums/k215/eduncan22/th_HenryBurnedByRedskins.jpg

March 1st? maybe

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
eduncan22;1376990 said:
Henry's contract contains $11 Million in guaranteed money.

He makes more than Newman.
No ****. Most players make more after their rookie contracts. After Newman's is finished, he'll command a considerable amount more than Henry.

Oh, and in that play, the only way to know whether Henry was burned was to know his coverage assignment. Could have been zone in which he would release to the safety over the top (which looks like exactly what happened). If you're going to pick a play that shows Henry getting burned (and I'm sure there are several to choose from), you should pick a better one.

eduncan22

Benched
Reaction score
theogt;1376993 said:
No ****. Most players make more after their rookie contracts. After Newman's is finished, he'll command a considerable amount more than Henry.

Problem is...Henry plays like crap.

Newman does not.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
eduncan22;1376998 said:
Problem is...Henry plays like crap.

Newman does not.
He doesn't play like crap. Statistically he's better than most CBs in the league. He's not one of the best, but he's not making money like he's one of the best either.

Also, read the 2nd paragraph I edited into the previous post.