Possible roster

rusteezcuz

Reaction score
This is my first post, so go easy. This roster would make me extremely happy. Not only are the starters impressive, but the backups seem solid. I'm imagining us trading a few picks down to get the pick in the 4th.

Bledsoe Romo Henson
Jones Barber Thompson
Witten Hannam Pierce/Ryan
Sowell Polite
Fabini (Scott)
Rivera (Best OG in draft)
Johnson Gurode
Kosier Peterman
Adams Petitti
Glenn Crayton
Owens (Stovall or BPA)

Canty Ellis
Ferguson (Wright) Johnson
Spears Coleman Ratliff
Ware Thornton
James Boiman
Ayodele (Parham)
(Carpenter) Burnett
Newman Glenn
Henry Reeves
Williams Davis
(Coleman) (Watkins) Beriault

Vanderjact Gostkowski(KO)
McBriar

Draft
1 Carpenter
2 Scott
3 Watkins/Griffin
4 Wright
5 Stovall or BPA since he probably won't last this long
6 Parham
6 Best OG available
7 Gostkowski - I just know there was some interest shown here.

DragonCowboy

Reaction score
rusteezcuz said:
Fabini (Scott)
Johnson Gurode
Kosier Peterman
Adams Petitti

Let me start off by saying, good first post, and welcome to the Forum.

All of your positions seem solid, except the OL (not that there is really a way to make it solid).

Fabini and Adams will be just fine IMO, and the OT position will be fine.

Kosier IMO will play well. There's a reason we picked him up so early, the problem is, nobody knows that reason...:)

My biggest problem is if one of our starters were to get injured...what then?

Justis

Reaction score
DragonCowboy said:
Let me start off by saying, good first post, and welcome to the Forum.

All of your positions seem solid, except the OL (not that there is really a way to make it solid).

Fabini and Adams will be just fine IMO, and the OT position will be fine.

Kosier IMO will play well. There's a reason we picked him up so early, the problem is, nobody knows that reason...:)

My biggest problem is if one of our starters were to get injured...what then?
actually that hypothetical draft seems like it would guarantee for us to be better than last year, at least. Obviously no one can outplan the injury bug. If your key starters start having issues, than it's almost impossible to keep stability.

DragonCowboy

Reaction score
Justis said:
actually that hypothetical draft seems like it would guarantee for us to be better than last year, at least. Obviously no one can outplan the injury bug. If your key starters start having issues, than it's almost impossible to keep stability.

Of course it would make us alot better than last year.

If all the players on our Offensive Line start and play well, then we're gonna make noise in the playoffs.

I see I said that it wasn't "solid". I guess I could say that its not "ideal". The starters for that position are solid, but the backups are not solid. I would hate to have any of those backups play, but alas, with our luck, 2-3 of them will be starting...

Once again, to the original poster, this is not a knock on you. Your roster looks like the best that we would be able to do. Its just that the Cowboys organization have dug a huge hole with our OL, and it's gonna take time to climb back out.

dannyboy

Reaction score
Love the choices, just not sure if they would all be there(i.e Stovall/Wright). I would probably go OG in the second instead of OT

neosapien23

Reaction score
Why are people complaining about the backups? Gurode and Kosier are good replacements. If a tackle gets hurt, Kosier will be moved to tackle and Gurode will start at guard. If a guard or center gets hurt, Gurode will take their place. Can't have a steak in every position, and the draft is still around the corner. If someone like Lutui, McNeil, Whitworth, or Joseph makes it to the 2nd round, Dallas will take an Olineman

DragonCowboy

Reaction score
neosapien23 said:
Why are people complaining about the backups? Gurode and Kosier are good replacements. If a tackle gets hurt, Kosier will be moved to tackle and Gurode will start at guard. If a guard or center gets hurt, Gurode will take their place. Can't have a steak in every position, and the draft is still around the corner. If someone like Lutui, McNeil, Whitworth, or Joseph makes it to the 2nd round, Dallas will take an Olineman

True, never thought about the versatility of Gurode and Kosier...

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
rusteezcuz said:
This is my first post, so go easy. This roster would make me extremely happy. Not only are the starters impressive, but the backups seem solid. I'm imagining us trading a few picks down to get the pick in the 4th.

Bledsoe Romo Henson
Jones Barber Thompson
Sowell Polite
Fabini (Scott)
Johnson Gurode
Kosier Peterman
Adams Petitti
Glenn Crayton
Owens (Stovall or BPA)

Canty Ellis
Spears Coleman Ratliff
Ware Thornton
James Boiman
Ayodele (Parham)
(Carpenter) Burnett
Newman Glenn
Henry Reeves
Williams Davis

McBriar

Draft
1 Carpenter
2 Scott
3 Watkins/Griffin
4 Wright
6 Parham
6 Best OG available
:welcome: to the forum.

Taking on a roster projectionis a tough first post. Hope you'll contribute some more. Like the start.

Cheers.

Paniolo22

Hawaiian Cowboy
Reaction score
We really need to get one of the top 4 guards in this draft. There is not much separating them and all have been flip flopping around as far as best at the position with Giles the most consistent. That would definitely help our depth on the line.

bobbie brewskie

Reaction score
rusteezcuz said:

Bledsoe Romo Henson
Jones Barber Thompson
Sowell Polite
Fabini (Scott)
Johnson Gurode
Kosier Peterman
Adams Petitti
Glenn Crayton
Owens (Stovall or BPA)

Canty Ellis
Spears Coleman Ratliff
Ware Thornton
James Boiman
Ayodele (Parham)
(Carpenter) Burnett
Newman Glenn
Henry Reeves
Williams Davis

McBriar

Draft
1 Carpenter
2 Scott
3 Watkins/Griffin
4 Wright
6 Parham
6 Best OG available

QB - i see henson over romo just because of how well hes doing in europe. if you gave me good reasoning on romo > henson id love to hear it, give me a shout.
FB - i like your idea of sowell, but thats only if we get him, if not polite is good enough, IMO.
Oline - i like it but Gurode could even back Kosier while Kosier backs Adams, in which case im saying if Adams went down gurode goes to G and Kosier to T.
WR - if stovall was there id love to get him in round 5, but i dont see him being there and #4 recievers are usually good at ST in Parcells system. but i like what you got.
DE - ellis almost left the cowboys because of lack of playing time, by the end of the season i might see Canty over Ellis but at the start i still like the looks of Ellis being the starter. Canty will be good though u are right.
LB - again i see Burnett as another Versatile guy and i think he will back Carpenter and Ayodele, and everything else looks good.

overall i like what you have, but you are forcing our versatile players to one spot.

WELCOME, and good first post.

rusteezcuz

Reaction score
I've been visiting this site for a while, and I've noticed what a great community we have here. You certainly made me, a first time poster, feel welcome. I appreciate that!

I agree that Drew Henson, due to his performance in NFL Europe, may very well be the back up instead of Romo.
I'll admit I was a little hopeful in some of my draft picks lasting to late rounds, but it was too good to not mention.
I have no problem with Canty backing up Ellis, because that means he can relieve Spears on the other side also.
We do have some versatile players that can fill many postions, but I wanted to keep it clear-cut and appealing to the eye.
I understand the idea of drafting an OG before an OT; however, I'm just looking at the better quality and depth in possible OT's.

sago1

Reaction score
Re your OL backups. If Adams goes down, we are in trouble if Pettiti is his replacement. Pettiti is a RT and can't play LT in the NFL. Similarly, Kosier can play both guard positions & RT, but no way do I want him stepping in for Adams. At this point Fabini is best option behind Adams, but I'd prefer another option. Saw here yesterday that Colombo was playing racketball with Riveria. Am hoping Colombo's knee has progressed to the point he would be a solid backup behind Adams and maybe, if we are very good little Cowboys and pray every night, Colombo is all the way back from his 02 injury (realizing the odds stacks against it) & he becomes Adams replacement/successor in the future at LT.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
First off ":welcome: ". I personally am not a Stovall fan, I think we can do better in the receiving department. I think that if we are going to pick a slowish receiver, atleast let him be a 1st rounder, and if not, go for the speedsters with good route running and hands.

I would love to come out of this draft with Davin Joseph as our next guard. He's a smallish strong guard with quickness and speed. If you check this Video clip of him http://video.msn.com/v/us/v.htm?g=0854964a-daa1-4794-8b19-f435db5258a2&f=rss33
you'll see what I mean. But welcome and aboard, and hope to debate with you plenty.

baj1dallas

Reaction score
Nice try but that draft is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too optimistic. Sorry. Instead I think it's likely you get an OT or FS in the first, LB or guard in the second or third, and pick up guys at other positions later.

Cowboys&Caps

Reaction score
neosapien23 said:
or Joseph makes it to the 2nd round, Dallas will take an Olineman

huhuhuhu, shudder

he looked so bad at the senior bowl, but he may be good.