Possiblity with the Boys running both the 3/4 and the 4/3

1Ware1

Reaction score
With haveing Ellis,Spears,Furguson,Canty,Ware,on the line,plus all the new pickups .Is there any chance of us switching off and on throughout games?

cobra

Salty *******
Reaction score
We are a base 3-4 defense. Maybe you missed last year. We switched to the 3-4. We have been acquiring players for the 3-4 because that is what Parcells likes.

Our base defense is the 3-4. We still have a nickel and a dime defense that utilizes 4 down lineman. But we aren't going to playing 4-3. BP doesn't like it and our players are not suited for it.

joseephuss

Reaction score
cobra said:
We are a base 3-4 defense. Maybe you missed last year. We switched to the 3-4. We have been acquiring players for the 3-4 because that is what Parcells likes.

Our base defense is the 3-4. We still have a nickel and a dime defense that utilizes 4 down lineman. But we aren't going to playing 4-3. BP doesn't like it and our players are not suited for it.

I agree they will stay in the base 3-4, but they are capable of also playing the 4-3. Many of the guys are suited to play the 4-3. Spears, Canty and Ware can all play the end position in the 4-3. This defense will have some flexibility.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
According to everyone IMPORTANT in the Cowboys organization

We are a 3-4 defense--period

Eskimo

Reaction score
This could be an option in the future but our front-7 is very young and inexperienced and this would likely lead to a great deal of confusion.

My guess is this year's 3-4 defense will be more complex in its blitz schemes now that most of the players are used to it and we have LBs better suited to the scheme.

Expect even more experimentation next year which could include multiple looks like the Pats have used in the past.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
1Ware1 said:
With haveing Ellis,Spears,Furguson,Canty,Ware,on the line,plus all the new pickups .Is there any chance of us switching off and on throughout games?

According to Spags, they want to keep the 3-4 as the base, but switch off and on from 3-4 to 4-3. That's what I really liked about the 2003 Patriots defense as they switched around all of the time.

Last year they rotated the D-Line as much as any team in the league. I think if they show they can be effective in the 4-3, they'll do a lot of switching. If not, they'll just stick with the 3-4 for the majority of the time.

Rich..........

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Spears, Canty and Ware can all play the end position in the 4-3

I don't think Canty really can. He could play the position, but I don't think he has the speed and quickness to be effective getting to the passer. If Hatcher is semi-legit, he could play in the 4-3 along with Ellis and Kalen Thornton at the DE spot.

Rich.........

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
How about a big or short yardage package that put Spears , Ferguson , Stanley , and Canty all on the line ? That's some run stopping beef there !

Bungarian

Butt Monkey
Reaction score
Why do people get this confused? The Cowboys play 3-4 defense. Sometimes they will line up with 4 DL and to some this may look like the 4-3 but it is not. It is the 3-4 with a extra lineman. The principles and play calling is all 3-4. The nickle in a 3-4 has standard 4 lineman but it is still a 3-4 defense.

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
Eskimo said:
This could be an option in the future but our front-7 is very young and inexperienced and this would likely lead to a great deal of confusion.

My guess is this year's 3-4 defense will be more complex in its blitz schemes now that most of the players are used to it and we have LBs better suited to the scheme.
Expect even more experimentation next year which could include multiple looks like the Pats have used in the past.

I certainly hope so.

scatman

Reaction score
Everyone seems to think that the 3-4 in a nickel package is the same as a 4-3 because there are four down linemen. That is wrong. The gap responsibilities are very different between the 4-3 and 3-4. Those gap responsibilities (I believe) do not change when the extra down lineman is used in the nickel. The extra down lineman just lines up over an additional gap. Its the gaps man, the gaps.

DCBoysfan

Hardwork and Dedication
Reaction score
Bungarian said:
Why do people get this confused? The Cowboys play 3-4 defense. Sometimes they will line up with 4 DL and to some this may look like the 4-3 but it is not. It is the 3-4 with a extra lineman. The principles and play calling is all 3-4. The nickle in a 3-4 has standard 4 lineman but it is still a 3-4 defense.

OK, that's not correct, once there is 4 DL then the assisgnments change. The three LB assignments change and the secondary's assignment changes also. So it can't have a 3-4 principles.

RiggoForever

Benched
Reaction score
Its good to be able to play both formations, particularly if injuries at DL or LB become a factor.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Nickel and 3-4/4-3 are different things.

You don't run a 3-4 nickel or a 4-3 nickel.

I would certainly hope your 4 down linemen in a nickel aren't just controlling gaps. Might explain the lack of a pass rush in Dallas if they are though.

mschmidt64

Reaction score
Yakuza Rich said:
According to Spags, they want to keep the 3-4 as the base, but switch off and on from 3-4 to 4-3. That's what I really liked about the 2003 Patriots defense as they switched around all of the time.

Last year they rotated the D-Line as much as any team in the league. I think if they show they can be effective in the 4-3, they'll do a lot of switching. If not, they'll just stick with the 3-4 for the majority of the time.

Rich..........

Ayuh.

I think the goal is to do it like the Pats, to be able to throw whatever look you want at the other team whenever you want to.

BP is more comfortable operating out of a 3-4, definitely, but he can certainly use the combo of the two to great effect, as long as 3-4 remains his fallback option.

mschmidt64

Reaction score
Yakuza Rich said:
I don't think Canty really can. He could play the position, but I don't think he has the speed and quickness to be effective getting to the passer. If Hatcher is semi-legit, he could play in the 4-3 along with Ellis and Kalen Thornton at the DE spot.

Rich.........

Actually, I think Canty can.

He's not a speed rusher but he doesn't have to be. He reminds me of Tony Tolbert, a guy who has a 12-sack season on his resume.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
JIMMYBUFFETT said:
How about a big or short yardage package that put Spears , Ferguson , Stanley , and Canty all on the line ? That's some run stopping beef there !

throw in oh idk canty maybe and that should be our goal line defense.

or maybe we will run a 5 - 2 w/ ware and carp and we will be deadly :laugh2: