Post Combine Thoughts - Gil Brandt

MissionCoach

Reaction score
Some post-Combine thoughts -- defense
7190.jpg
By Gil Brandt
NFL.com Senior Analyst

(March 5, 2006) -- After a week of talking with players and watching them being interviewed by the media throng, then watching the coaches put them through their paces in physical tests and positional drills at the NFL Scouting Combine, I hope to give you more insight as to what to expect on draft day.
Defensive Linemen

Since 2000 (six years), 306 defensive linemen have been drafted (51 per year averages with a high of 62 in 2004. This gives you an idea how important teams consider this position. In 2005, we had eight drafted in the first round that played the position in college. The most drafted in Round 1 over this period was 11 in 2003.
img9286557.jpg
Mario Williams is touted to be among the first 12 prospects chosen. There seems to be both quality and depth at this position. For this draft, two players -- Mario Williams (North Carolina State) and Haloti Ngata (Oregon) -- could both be picked in the top 12.
Florida State's Broderick Bunkley, Oklahoma's Dusty Dvoracek, Boston College's Mathias Kiwanuka, Virginia Tech's Darryl Tapp, Michigan's Gabe Watson, Louisiana State's Kyle Williams, Florida State's Kamerion Wimbley, and Texas' Rodrique Wright all worked out well.
Mike Kudla (265 pounds) of Ohio State lifted 225 pounds 45 times, which tied a Combine record. He also ran 4.73 in the 40 and had a 37-inch vertical jump.
A name to remember is Manny Lawson (6-5 3/8, 241) of North Carolina State. He ran 4.45 in the 40, 6.90 in the cone drill and had a 39½-inch vertical jump. He played weakside end and is what NFL teams want in a 3-4 outside linebacker.
The strongest: Mike Kudla, 45 lifts Broderick Bunkley, Florida State -- 37 lifts Haloti Ngata, Oregon -- 37 lifts Gabe Watson, Michigan -- 36 lifts Chris Gocong, Caly-Poly -- 36 lifts Mario Williams, North Carolina State -- 35 lifts Barry Cofield, Northwestern -- 35 lifts
Linebackers

img9286563.jpg
A.J. Hawk provided one of the most outstanding workouts at the Combine. The 2005 group of linebackers played will as rookies this past season. The 2006 group has some outstanding prospects with speed and athletic ability. A.J. Hawk had one of the best workouts people coming to the Combine for years can remember. He clocked 4.59 in the 40, had a 40-inch vertical and did 24 reps, making him a top 10 pick. Hawk was a three-year starter at Ohio State and was named to the All-Big Ten Team three times. He was also a two-time Defensive Player of the Year in the conference. Since 2000, the most linebackers picked in the first round was in 2000.
Some of the linebackers who worked out well at the Combine were: Jon Alston (Stanford), Chad Greenway (Iowa), Abdul Hodge (Iowa), Thomas Howard (UTEP), D'Qwell Jackson (Maryland), Tim McGarigle (Northwestern), Roger McIntosh (Miami-Fla.), A.J. Nicholson (FSU), Demeco Ryans (Alabama), Ernie Sims (FSU) and Gerris Wilkinson (Georgia Tech)
Defensive backs

This was a good-looking group of players with speed and athletic ability. Two players, Michael Huff of Texas and Tye Hill of Clemson, could be top-12 picks. Some of the players who had good workouts included Jason Allen (Tennessee), Willie Andrews (Baylor), Daniel Bullocks (Nebraska), Cedric Griffin (Texas), Devin Hester (Miami-Fla.), Tim Jennings (Georgia), Kelly Jennings (Miami-Fla.), Johnathan Joseph (South Carolina), Ko Simpson (South Carolina), Donte Whitner (Ohio State), Antonio Cromartie (FSU) who missed the entire 2005 season with an injury, and Charles Gordon (Kansas) who also worked out at wide receiver.
Daniel Manning (Abilene Christian) is a small-college player to watch. Fifteen players in this group of defensive backs had vertical jumps of 40 inches or more.
Kickers and Long Snappers

There were 11 kickers and three long snappers at this year's Combine. A kicker has been drafted on the first day of the past two drafts -- two in 2004 and one in 2005. I don't think it will happen again this year. The most likely kicker to be selected is Josh Huston of Ohio State, who has a very strong leg and is able to put his kickoffs into the end zone.
Brandt's top-12 projections as of March 5:

1. Reggie Bush, RB, Southern Cal: Bush (5-10 7/8, 201) could be the first running back to go No. 1 overall in the draft since 1995. Twenty-three running backs have been picked No. 1 overall in draft history.
img9286572.jpg
Jay Cutler could beat out Vince Young and Matt Leinart as the first QB chosen. 2. Jay Cutler, QB, Vanderbilt: Before the 2005 season, Cutler (6-3¼, 226) was not projected to be picked in Round 1. He finished with 21 TDs and 9 INTs. His Combine workout has also improved his draft status.
3. Vernon Davis, TE, Maryland: Davis (6-3¼, 254) ran the fastest time ever for his position at the Combine. He can play at tight end, H-back or wide receiver.
4. D'Brickashaw Ferguson, OT, Virginia: Only one player on the offensive line had longer arms that Ferguson's 35½ inches. The 6-6, 312 Ferguson started four years at Virginia. He missed just two games in 2005 with an injury. He will play for many years.
5. A.J. Hawk, LB, Ohio State: The best way to describe Hawk (6-1, 248) is he will most likely be the next Mike Singletary. He has great traits and leadership qualities.
6. Tye Hill, CB, Clemson: Hill (5-9 5/8, 185) has the speed (4.34 in 40), jumping ability (41-inch vertical and 10-foot-9 long) and great quickness for his position. He had 3 INTs in 2005.
7. Michael Huff, CB/S, Texas: Huff (6-0, 204) can play safety or corner. He started four years at Texas. He had a 40½-inch vertical and a 10-foot-5 long jump.
8. Matt Leinart, QB, Southern Cal: Leinart (6-4 7/8, 223) can start as a rookie. He passed for 99 TDs and 10,683 yards at USC. The team won 37 of 39 games he started.
9. Laurence Maroney, RB, Minnesota: Maroney (5-11 7/8, 217) can weigh 225 in the NFL. He played three years at Minnesota and rushed for 3,933 yards including 1,355 yards in 2005. He shared time last season with another RB -- Gary Russell -- who also gained over 1,000 yards rushing.
10. Haloti Ngata, DL, Oregon: Ngata (6-4 1/8, 338) is a run stopper with strength (37 reps) and speed (5.12 in the 40). He had three sacks in 2005.
11. Mario Williams, DE, NC State: Williams (6-7, 295) ran under 4.7 (4.66), had 35 lifts and a 40½-inch vertical. The three-year starter had 13 sacks in 2005 and 20 tackles for losses.
12. Vince Young, QB, Texas: Young (6-4 5/8, 229) had 467 yards total offense against Southern Cal in the Rose Bowl. He rallied his team in the fourth quarter at Ohio State. All he does is win, but he needs to learn how to play under center and he will.

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
thanks good stuff...

ps.... by the way just stare at AJ Hawk's face for awhile the guy looks like he is wearing a mask..SCARY

and Williams looks like he has bad gas...

and Cutler looks like some sorta mime that ran into a pane of glass...hmmm not the best choice of pictures

cobra

Salty *******
Reaction score
1. Reggie Bush, RB, Southern Cal: Bush (5-10 7/8, 201) could be the first running back to go No. 1 overall in the draft since 1995. Twenty-three running backs have been picked No. 1 overall in draft history.
Jay Cutler could beat out Vince Young and Matt Leinart as the first QB chosen. 2. Jay Cutler, QB, Vanderbilt: Before the 2005 season, Cutler (6-3¼, 226) was not projected to be picked in Round 1. He finished with 21 TDs and 9 INTs. His Combine workout has also improved his draft status.
3. Vernon Davis, TE, Maryland: Davis (6-3¼, 254) ran the fastest time ever for his position at the Combine. He can play at tight end, H-back or wide receiver.
4. D'Brickashaw Ferguson, OT, Virginia: Only one player on the offensive line had longer arms that Ferguson's 35½ inches. The 6-6, 312 Ferguson started four years at Virginia. He missed just two games in 2005 with an injury. He will play for many years.
5. A.J. Hawk, LB, Ohio State: The best way to describe Hawk (6-1, 248) is he will most likely be the next Mike Singletary. He has great traits and leadership qualities.
6. Tye Hill, CB, Clemson: Hill (5-9 5/8, 185) has the speed (4.34 in 40), jumping ability (41-inch vertical and 10-foot-9 long) and great quickness for his position. He had 3 INTs in 2005.
7. Michael Huff, CB/S, Texas: Huff (6-0, 204) can play safety or corner. He started four years at Texas. He had a 40½-inch vertical and a 10-foot-5 long jump.
8. Matt Leinart, QB, Southern Cal: Leinart (6-4 7/8, 223) can start as a rookie. He passed for 99 TDs and 10,683 yards at USC. The team won 37 of 39 games he started.
9. Laurence Maroney, RB, Minnesota: Maroney (5-11 7/8, 217) can weigh 225 in the NFL. He played three years at Minnesota and rushed for 3,933 yards including 1,355 yards in 2005. He shared time last season with another RB -- Gary Russell -- who also gained over 1,000 yards rushing.
10. Haloti Ngata, DL, Oregon: Ngata (6-4 1/8, 338) is a run stopper with strength (37 reps) and speed (5.12 in the 40). He had three sacks in 2005.
11. Mario Williams, DE, NC State: Williams (6-7, 295) ran under 4.7 (4.66), had 35 lifts and a 40½-inch vertical. The three-year starter had 13 sacks in 2005 and 20 tackles for losses.
12. Vince Young, QB, Texas: Young (6-4 5/8, 229) had 467 yards total offense against Southern Cal in the Rose Bowl. He rallied his team in the fourth quarter at Ohio State. All he does is win, but he needs to learn how to play under center and he will.

Wow.

That is an interesting take on the Top 12. Vastly different than all of the pre-combine mocks. Vernon Davis at 3? Woah! Granted, his combine was phenomenal, but that is a hell of a jump for him. Cutler at 2 with Leinart at 6 and Young at 12.... I have heard people saying they like Cutler, but to have him ranked 4 spots ahead of Leinart is radical. Tye Hill at 6? He jumps Huff and Jimmy Williams all the way up to the 6th pick? Wow. Maroney at 9? Ahead of DeAngelo and LenDale? I don't know about that.

Does anyone know who good Brandt tends to be at this kind of prediction? For instance, if I read Goose Gosselein say this, then I think it is extremely accurate. If Patabelli says it, I don't see as it as accurate. Where does Brandt fit in?

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
If Cutler goes before Leinart, I'll eat my house.

ravidubey

Reaction score
Avery said:
If Cutler goes before Leinart, I'll eat my house.
This whole notion of Cutler's ascent is idiotic if you ask me. The NFL has fallen in love with the John Elway physique and has no clue about how to evaluate the position.

IMO it's leadership, decisiveness, accuracy, position knowledge, arm strength, size, athleticism in that order. To me, Leinart's the best prospect in years.

The NFL seems to be grading in the order of arm strength, size, accuracy, athleticism, decisiveness, position knowledge, leadership. hence the Ryan Leafs of the world.

Rockytop6

Reaction score
cobra said:
Wow.

That is an interesting take on the Top 12. Vastly different than all of the pre-combine mocks. Vernon Davis at 3? Woah! Granted, his combine was phenomenal, but that is a hell of a jump for him. Cutler at 2 with Leinart at 6 and Young at 12.... I have heard people saying they like Cutler, but to have him ranked 4 spots ahead of Leinart is radical. Tye Hill at 6? He jumps Huff and Jimmy Williams all the way up to the 6th pick? Wow. Maroney at 9? Ahead of DeAngelo and LenDale? I don't know about that.

Does anyone know who good Brandt tends to be at this kind of prediction? For instance, if I read Goose Gosselein say this, then I think it is extremely accurate. If Patabelli says it, I don't see as it as accurate. Where does Brandt fit in?

First, I don't think Brandt was predicting they would be drafted in this order or would be the first 12 taken in the draft. I think he was rating the 12 according to ability and input from the owners/scouts, etc.

Secondly, Brandt was the director of scouting for many years and comprised teh big three: Landry, Schramn and Brandt. Brandt was the first director to use computers in storing info and making projections in player evaluations. He was an innovator and at the head of his class.

pancakeman

Reaction score
cobra said:

I thought I remember that Brandt's accuracy was pretty well established, but I could be mistaken.

I also thought I remembered a thread where somebody had gone back to score the accuracy of various mock drafts last year, but I can't find the thread.