Post game thoughts

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Good win, albeit one that should have probably been more lopsided on the scoreboard.

1) Tremendous job on defense of taking Frank Gore completely out of the game.

2) Awful pass coverage in the 1st quarter. What followed was 2 quarters of some really great defense. This 4-6 look has really worked well and they seemed to do it quite a bit in the 2nd and 3rd quarters (and a few plays in the first, they knocked him down but he'd just get the ball away). We had people coming free all over. We've really been hitting the QB's with a high frequency since the Tampa game.

3) Romo is still off and probably will be again Thursday, he missed a number of throws he normally makes. Still, he had 4 great throws to TO on the long ones.

4) Really pathetic effort by our OL this week, this group just has no consistency. The run blocking was horrible. The pass blocking was so-so and they committed 3 false starts.

5) We actually made 3 good plays on special teams! WOW! By the end of the game though, the kick coverage was back to being poor as usual.

6) Nick Folk is just a great placekicker.

7) What a game by Owens.

8) The officating was just atrocious. We got one gratuitous non-call on Henry, otherwise were hosed on a ton of stuff. It was a total sham the Niners werent called for a single offensive holding, and they missed two very easy block in the back calls on kick returns. I lost count of how many times they simply tackled Ware. They also got away with an obvious chop block.

9) They have just got to get Keith Davis off the field on defense. Henry was also toast most of the game, although he made up for some of the bad plays with the nice endzone pick.

10) More injuries, as it looks like Jenkins and Kosier are gone for awhile. We've just had the worst luck with injuries this yr and cant get, or stay healthy for even a week. Jenkins was really playing well at CB. Proctor was God-awful at LG when he came in.

Good win, but not good enough for me to say we're definitely back to playing at a high level or a cinch for the playoffs. The OL played great last week in Washington but was very poor today even when Kosier was in the game. Defensively they show periods of domination and follow that up with ho-hum coverage on to many plays as well.

jimmy40

Reaction score
Our Oline holds as much as anyone and and Gurode got away with several hands to the face.

2much2soon

Reaction score
It almost seems like its easier for Romo to bomb it down the field than to make the short throws.
There were some great hits on both sides of the ball. Clements had a couple and Brady James did as well.
How tough do you have to be to rocked from the blindside, lay on the turf while half the spectators think you might be dead, stagger off the field, then come back in a few plays (maybe it was a series) later?
Witten's toughness is becoming legendary in an organization with a history of really tough players. I hope he's not a physical wreck in his retirement.
This defense is getting more and more physical as the season wears on, especially in the past few weeks. They are just beating on teams like everyone hoped.

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
1)Isaiah Stanback is crap, get ride of him.

2) This offseason, trade for Johnny Lee Higgins Jr! At least he's shown the potential to break out big

goliadmike

reader of rue
Reaction score
Good analysis Dbair1967 and I agree with almost everything except the part about Keith Davis and I halfway agree with you even there. He seems like a poor man's Oklahoma Roy Williams in that I love what he does for the run defense but should be nowhere near the field in passing situations.

As far as the O-line they were bad the 9er's sold out to stop the run leaving Nate clements one on one with Owens with no help over the top, in fact it looked like they were running a 4-4 alignment on a lot of plays.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
EPL0c0;2438470 said:
1)
Isaiah Stanback is crap, get ride of him.

He definitely isnt impressive at returning kickoffs, maybe they will put A Jones back there when he returns. Obviously Miles Austin will be back at some point as well.

khiladi

Reaction score
dbair1967;2438209 said:
8) The officating was just atrocious. We got one gratuitous non-call on Henry, otherwise were hosed on a ton of stuff. It was a total sham the Niners werent called for a single offensive holding, and they missed two very easy block in the back calls on kick returns. I lost count of how many times they simply tackled Ware. They also got away with an obvious chop block.

I didn't watch the game, but Henry is actually still playing after last week? When is this guy going to the bench? Seriously...

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
rocyaice;2439150 said:
Whoa what? Jenkins and Kosier got hurt?

Kosier re-injured his foot and is definitely out Thursday according to Jones. Jenkins pulled a hammy and is also doubtful.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
khiladi;2439163 said:
I didn't watch the game, but Henry is actually still playing after last week? When is this guy going to the bench? Seriously...

Yeah, for whatever reason they wont replace him. If it were me Jenkins would be starting opp Newman with Henry moved inside to FS, but I'm not coaching them.

Henry was really bad for most of this game.

Keith Davis is also really, really bad in coverage.

Of course now Jenkins is hurt, so the point is probably moot.

khiladi

Reaction score
dbair1967;2439182 said:
Yeah, for whatever reason they wont replace him. If it were me Jenkins would be starting opp Newman with Henry moved inside to FS, but I'm not coaching them.

Adam Jones, but even then, it looks like they won't replace Henry, no matter what... This may be the worst move by Wade all season long... It will come back to haunt us..

Hell, they should move Henry to FS and at least Hamlin can play SS, nullifying the effects of Keith Davis in pass coverage...

How did Spencer play BTW?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
dbair1967;2439172 said:
Kosier re-injured his foot and is definitely out Thursday according to Jones. Jenkins pulled a hammy and is also doubtful.

Ahh man. I hate to hear that. I thought Kosier was just resting for "precautionary" reasons like the telecast stated. I didn't even see or hear Jenkins got hurt.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
dbair1967;2438209 said:
And what about that whistle on what should have been Zach's touchdown? What, did they think they were calling a college game? Terrible!

And I didn't even hear that Jenkins hurt his hammy until now... Argh!

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2439210 said:
And what about that whistle on what should have been Zach's touchdown? What, did they think they were calling a college game? Terrible!

And I didn't even hear that Jenkins hurt his hammy until now... Argh!

Yeah I am glad it was just a hamstring though. On the kick he was covering it initally looked like his knee. I thought he blew the knee up.

We are getting awfully thin at the wrong time. I am worried watkins might be done, and if kosier is going to miss thursday we are going to be in a dogfight.

We cant lose to seattle. If we do we are toast. It looked like at the end of the skins hawks game the hawks were completely whipped and exhausted. Hopefully washington beat them up bad enough to where if we can keep it close into the second half, they may run out of gas.

Keith davis was slow to get up about 3 times in the second half also.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
why did we waste the pick on Stanback......he is garbage. We could have had Steve Breaston instead.

so is Carpenter. We could have had Manny Lawson opposite Ware. We probably would have gone after S Eric Weddle or LB LaMarr Woodley in 07, instead of Spencer.

I am tired of our OL not being able to run block. Our line is bigger than Emmitt's line, yet they block like a bunch of matador marshmallows. Not only that, but Anderson is couldn't even lace Moose's boots. We should have gone after Neal or Mack when they were FAs.

Oh, and Barber needs to stop whiffing on his blocks. He missed back to back blocks that allowed Romo to get lit up. On the first whiff, Romo landed on his injured hand....

Romo is still struggling with that pinkie. Since his hands are small, that pinkie affects his throw more than a QB with big hands. His accuracy is crappy right now. He is throwing high, low, or behind his receivers. I can't wait till the pinkie is completely well. But even with his injury, he is still better than 90+% of the rest of the QBs in the league.

Polk is a STs beast....I am so happy to have him in Big D. We need to keep him for at least a few more years.

It would be nice to get Choice more involved with the offense.

I would like to see less Witten and more Bennett against Seattle. Witten is still injured and I want him as healthy as possible for that December run. I think if we can strongly limit his play on Thursday, it will go a long way to helping his recovery.

Kosier must have broken walked under a ladder, while breaking a mirror, and spilling salt on a black cat...that fella just cant stay healthy. It is too bad too, cause I think he would be able to make a positive impact in our run blocking.

Our pass rush did well again this week. Hill looked like a cow out there with all the turf he was eating.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
dbair1967;2438209 said:
4) Really pathetic effort by our OL this week, this group just has no consistency. The run blocking was horrible. The pass blocking was so-so and they committed 3 false starts.
An area that was supposed to be one of the strengths of our team has really let me down this year. JMO but Gurode and Bigg have done alright (but not great) but the rest have struggled.

This off season needs yet another attempt at upgrading our O-line talent. It's clear we have no #3 OG to depend on and our starting OT's best days are behind them.

Houck hasn't been the answer we all thought he would be either.

FCBarca

Reaction score
Biggems;2439284 said:
why did we waste the pick on Stanback......he is garbage. We could have had Steve Breaston instead.

so is Carpenter. We could have had Manny Lawson opposite Ware. We probably would have gone after S Eric Weddle or LB LaMarr Woodley in 07, instead of Spencer.

I am tired of our OL not being able to run block. Our line is bigger than Emmitt's line, yet they block like a bunch of matador marshmallows. Not only that, but Anderson is couldn't even lace Moose's boots. We should have gone after Neal or Mack when they were FAs.

Oh, and Barber needs to stop whiffing on his blocks. He missed back to back blocks that allowed Romo to get lit up. On the first whiff, Romo landed on his injured hand....

Romo is still struggling with that pinkie. Since his hands are small, that pinkie affects his throw more than a QB with big hands. His accuracy is crappy right now. He is throwing high, low, or behind his receivers. I can't wait till the pinkie is completely well. But even with his injury, he is still better than 90+% of the rest of the QBs in the league.

Polk is a STs beast....I am so happy to have him in Big D. We need to keep him for at least a few more years.

It would be nice to get Choice more involved with the offense.

I would like to see less Witten and more Bennett against Seattle. Witten is still injured and I want him as healthy as possible for that December run. I think if we can strongly limit his play on Thursday, it will go a long way to helping his recovery.

Kosier must have broken walked under a ladder, while breaking a mirror, and spilling salt on a black cat...that fella just cant stay healthy. It is too bad too, cause I think he would be able to make a positive impact in our run blocking.

Our pass rush did well again this week. Hill looked like a cow out there with all the turf he was eating.

Barber's whiff on that pass play was pretty bad...Not sure what he was thinking there but I'm sure he'll get an earful from someone on that, right?

The Stanback era should come to a close in Big D...He's a lost cause.

FCBarca

Reaction score
dbair1967;2439182 said:

For the majority of the first half, I zoned in on Henry on nearly every play...And what I noticed is that with perhaps one exception, the Niners targeted him each and every time...Plus, whenever SF needed a 1st down, Henry was lined up about 5-7 yards away from his man - boom, 1st down.

Love his instincts but the guy has no wheels left and is a liability there