CFZ Post Game Thoughts

DanA

Reaction score
Wow, what a performance!

On the first drive, we were getting gashed by Jones scrambling while Barkley/Breida picked up chunk yardage too. But once they got within 10 yards we decided to turn up and the Giants basically did nothing for the rest of the entire game. For me, it wasn't so much that we were dominant but how we were dominant. A lot of players put us on notice as players that have progressed.

Bell and Juanyeh were standouts and all of our corners made big plays. There was not a single player in the secondary that didn't show something, and we've still got Wilson and Lewis to add to the group. The defensive line was utterly dominant and there was no drop off with the 2nd string with Armstrong, Golston, and Fowler have four sacks combined.

Offensively it wasn't world-beating like the defense but not bad considering the conditions. I was pleased to see Pollard with 5.0 YPC, Dowdle 4.0, while Turpin looked a decent point of difference coming out of the backfield. The run game overall was pretty solid. In the pass game, there were a lot of drops and Dak missed some targets but we also saw big plays from Cooks and Lamb which was kind of expected. Truth be told, I would have liked to see Tolbert, Gallup, and Ferguson do a bit more but we at least saw a functional offense that should at the very least be above average.

What we saw from that defense though....we don't need much more than average on offense for this team to go far.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
I believe this was the first game since the 9er game last year where the entire offense was on the field, save for Smith who plays left guard. So a little rusty is expected from me.
The thing about the NFL is every game you play reveals something about your team. This game was as close to perfect as any I have ever seen. But the test comes next week.

And it will always come next week until the team loses it's last game of the season, or wins it.

I am still skeptical about the offensive line. I don't believe the hype about the Giants at all. Going to be interested in seeing the JETS play and assess their level of talent.
Rodgers may finally get the short end of the stick from Dallas. So much for the trap game theory offered here by some.

DanA

Reaction score
I believe this was the first game since the 9er game last year where the entire offense was on the field, save for Smith who plays left guard. So a little rusty is expected from me.
The thing about the NFL is every game you play reveals something about your team. This game was as close to perfect as any I have ever seen. But the test comes next week.

And it will always come next week until the team loses it's last game of the season, or wins it.

I am still skeptical about the offensive line. I don't believe the hype about the Giants at all. Going to be interested in seeing the JETS play and assess their level of talent.
Rodgers may finally get the short end of the stick from Dallas. So much for the trap game theory offered here by some.
I wouldn't be proclaiming the O-line top 5 off the back of that one performance but it's a promising start and the Giants D-line is pretty good in my view.

Arkyvarminter

Reaction score
I'm glad we didn't have any injuries. That was a whooping like I've never seen and Thomas #30 is going to be a good player for us.....

plymkr

Reaction score
I wouldn't be proclaiming the O-line top 5 off the back of that one performance but it's a promising start and the Giants D-line is pretty good in my view.
For me that was the most exciting thing. Our offensive line. We feared, and with good reason, that the offensive line was going to be our Achilles heal. Well going against a good defensive line with Tyron hurt and Tyler out and still being productive was awesome. I’m really happy with the play of Ashim and Bass.

With the way our defense played we don’t need to be a top five offensive unit to be contenders. Our offensive line doesn’t need to be a top offensive line. Our offensive line and offense in general just has to complement the defense. Fortunately we have an offense that can be a top 5 unit. We will score points and with the defense playing like this then lookout NFL.

But in summary I fear injuries to the offensive line would be our downfall and we had injuries to the offensive line pre game and during the game and the backups held their own against a good defensive line. That helps ease the fears moving forward. We beat a playoff team in their house with injuries to the offensive line. As a Cowboys fan that’s really exciting. If the offensive line can keep Dak upright, Dak and company will score points and the defense will feast. Feels good to be a Cowboys fan right now.

csirl

Reaction score
Looks like the Giants are in for a long hard year. So dont need to worry about them in the division.

NeathBlue

Reaction score
Great opening day win, totally dominated the Giants to such a point, it was actually getting pitiful.
Defensively we were outstanding, barring injuries it’s between the Cowboys and 49ers on who has the best.
We were a bit rusty when we had the ball, but that will soon be sorted.
As for the Giants, I think they are what most people thought they were.
They overachieved last season imo and Jones never looks comfortable against even a reasonably good team…. Wouldn’t be surprised to see them get a top 3 draft pick next year.

Swagger

Reaction score
Looks like the Giants are in for a long hard year. So dont need to worry about them in the division.
I agree. It felt like they massively overachieved last season. Take nothing away from the 'boys as they were sensational and look a real force to be reckoned with but the Giants will not be making the play offs again this season.