Potential NFL Head Coaching vacancies

Jumbo075

Reaction score
AFC East - New England Patriots (possible Belichick retirement)
AFC North - Pittsburgh Steelers (suggested mutual decision - seems unlikely to me)
AFC West - Las Vegas Raiders (already fired), Los Angeles Chargers (already fired)

NFC East - Washington Commanders (expected firing of Rivera)
NFC North - Chicago Bears (unlikely firing of Eberflus)
NFC South - Atlanta Falcons (unlikely firing of Smith), New Orleans Saints (possible firing of Allen), Carolina Panthers (already fired)
NFC West - Seattle Seahawks (possible Pete Carroll retirement)

So, with the already fired coaches of the Raiders, Chargers and Panthers, add the expected firing of Ron Rivera in Washington. That is a minimum of 4 head coaching opportunities. Possible firings for the Bears, Falcons or Saints have varying levels of probability. The twist is the possible retirements of Belichick, Carroll and Tomlin.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Belichick might get fired, retire or even get traded. That’s what’s being reported.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
There will definitely be a few more. I think there are 6-8 openings each season or something like that.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I’ve suspected all along that Quinn wants the Seattle job and is waiting for it.

If it opens up and they want him, I figure he goes.

Whatever. Just make the rest of this year count.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
AFC East - New England Patriots (possible Belichick retirement)
AFC North - Pittsburgh Steelers (suggested mutual decision - seems unlikely to me)
AFC West - Las Vegas Raiders (already fired), Los Angeles Chargers (already fired)

NFC East - Washington Commanders (expected firing of Rivera)
NFC North - Chicago Bears (unlikely firing of Eberflus)
NFC South - Atlanta Falcons (unlikely firing of Smith), New Orleans Saints (possible firing of Allen), Carolina Panthers (already fired)
NFC West - Seattle Seahawks (possible Pete Carroll retirement)

So, with the already fired coaches of the Raiders, Chargers and Panthers, add the expected firing of Ron Rivera in Washington. That is a minimum of 4 head coaching opportunities. Possible firings for the Bears, Falcons or Saints have varying levels of probability. The twist is the possible retirements of Belichick, Carroll and Toml
I think Smith is done and there's always a surprise.

BTW.....I'm hearing/reading there is quite a bit of fallout from teammates and players around the league over Payton benching Wilson. Especially how he lied saying he had nothing to do with it. Of course, he's not getting fired but keep an eye on the pulse. This could all come back to bite him in the a____ a couple of years coz they are looking at a nearly $90M dead cap hit.

Walker

Texas Ranger
Reaction score
Belichick should take a year off and see if he can get a broadcasting spot if not then just relax, and if he still misses the game I am sure a lot of teams out there will be willing to sign him, he should prob aim to get fired to get paid for w/e years he has left or get out of his contract.

csirl

Reaction score
NYG didnt make progress this year - dont rule out a change there. Same with the Cards.

bigdnlaca

Reaction score
TB will get a new head coach if they choke against Carolina.

I think Titans will get a new head coach.

bigdnlaca

Reaction score
NYG didnt make progress this year - dont rule out a change there. Same with the Cards.
Naw, Cards will keep their head coach. Can’t help that their star qb wasn’t available.

However, I do think they played Murray so they show the value and then trade him for picks to get another QB in the draft.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
Belichick should take a year off and see if he can get a broadcasting spot if not then just relax, and if he still misses the game I am sure a lot of teams out there will be willing to sign him, he should prob aim to get fired to get paid for w/e years he has left or get out of his contract.
The issue with Belichick is he’s not a great coach without Tom Brady. His record in his first 6 seasons as head coach in Cleveland and New England was 41-55, with only 1 season with a winning record.

In the 4 seasons since Tom Brady left the Patriots, Belichick again has managed only 1 winning season, with a 29-37 overall record (with one more game to go this season).

So without Tom Brady, Bill Belichick isn’t so much of the genius people think he is. True, he always builds and coaches good defense. But he cannot figure out how to coach offense.

In 10 seasons without Tom Brady as his QB, Belichick is 70-92 as a head coach. Why would a team trade for a coach with an average 7-9 record in 10 seasons, which includes only 2 winning seasons in those 10 years, to go along with 3 seasons that had only 5 or less wins. That is the Dave Campo zone. That is Belichick without Tom Brady.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
Compare Belichick’s 10 seasons without Tom Brady to Jason Garrett’s 9-1/2 seasons as the Cowboys Head coach:

Belichick - 2 winning seasons, 8 losing seasons. 70-92 record. Average 7-9 record over those seasons

Garrett - 4 seasons of 8-8. 4 winning seasons, and only 1 losing season, plus a half season with a winning record after Wade Phillips was fired in 2010. 85-67 record - average 9-7 record over those seasons.

I propose a team would be better off hiring Jason Garrett to be their head coach over trading for Bill Belichick.

Praxit

Reaction score
Belichick might get fired, retire or even get traded. That’s what’s being reported.
..he wants that HC win record. He'll asked to be released, then hope to land another spot.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
..he wants that HC win record. He'll asked to be released, then hope to land another spot.
If he lands in another spot he better hope they have a legit QB. He could end up with the Chargers. However, Herbert isn’t winning games.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Compare Belichick’s 10 seasons without Tom Brady to Jason Garrett’s 9-1/2 seasons as the Cowboys Head coach:

Belichick - 2 winning seasons, 8 losing seasons. 70-92 record. Average 7-9 record over those seasons

Garrett - 4 seasons of 8-8. 4 winning seasons, and only 1 losing season, plus a half season with a winning record after Wade Phillips was fired in 2010. 85-67 record - average 9-7 record over those seasons.

I propose a team would be better off hiring Jason Garrett to be their head coach over trading for Bill Belichick.
Tony Romo and Dak Prescott are far better QBs than any Belichick had during those 10 seasons he coached without Brady.