Potential 'sleepers' in the free agent market

Bledsoe4MVP

Benched
Reaction score
Since it's that time of year and all the speculation has begun regarding free agent movement, I thought I'd throw my two cents into the mix. There are plenty of 'big names' out there in the upcoming free agent market, but I always like to look at the potential 'sleepers' that come with a much less expensive price tag than guys like LeCharles Bentley, Steve Hutchinson, and Reggie Wayne are going to likely demand. Also in this day and age it seems that more and more 'fat cats' are rising to the forefront after they sign lavish multiyear contracts with exorbitant signing bonuses. Dan Snyder and the Deadskins know all about that. Anyway here's a few that I have targeted and I'm curious as to what other people think about them or other potential sleepers not mentioned here.....

1) Victor Riley, RT, UFA, HOU - Right now the jury is still out on Petitti, he showed some good things last year, but IMO showed my bad things. I'm just not sure he's the answer at RT but then again he was only a rookie. Riley is a former 1st round pick from KC, he's never reached the potential that some envisioned coming out of Auburn. But he can dominate at the point of contact and has great size and strength. When he's playing well he is the true definition of an authoritative blocker, similar to Larry Allen in his Prime. But when he tires, his focus wanes and inconsistency is present. I think he's worth a look at this point in his career.

2) Mike Flanagan, C, UFA, GB - We all know the issues this team has at Center, but this one might be a gamble. I say that because Flanagan is a 10 year vet and also had some serious knee issues with tendinitis that kept him out of the lineup for extended periods of time the last few years. But if he can stay healthy, he is very versatile and can play multiple position on the Oline.

3) Idrees Bashir, S, UFA, CAR - He was drafted by Tony Dungy in Indy to be his new John Lynch for the Colts. But injuries have kept him out of the line-up. When he's on his game he can cover a lot of field and can be a very aggressive pass defender...maybe a bit too aggressive. He's only been in the league 4 years though, and I look at this kid as another Anthony Henry.

4) Mack Strong, FB, UFA, SEA - I'm pretty sure Seattle will retain him, especially since he's played there his whole career. Also the guy he blocks for did ok this season as well ;-). Mack is a seasoned veteran at an endangered position in this league. I think Polite has tremendous upside, but Strong is a bruising physical beast. He reminds me of a great FB that Bledstud used to play with by the name of Sam Gash. Strong is also good for about 20 catches a season as well.

5) Cory Chavous, S, UFA, MIN - This is another solid safety I wouldn't mind taking a look at. He's never been a interception machine, although he did have a career high 8 in 2003. He has always striked me as an intelligent player and a rock solid defender. The big question is he on the downswing of his career? Or can he rebound and showcase his probowl form from the 03' season?

6) David Givens, WR, UFA, NE - I'm not sure you call a former 7th round pick who emerged as one of Tom Brady's key weapons during their dynasty a sleeper. But he's still a relative 'unknown' player to the average jo blow football fan. He has been called 'deceptively quick' by a lot of scouts around the league. His reception total continues to increase each year and he's average 707 yards a season since his 02'. If the Pats don't resign him, I would definitely take a look at this emerging young player. Especially since we are not getting any younger at the receiver position and Bledstud could use another young weapon like Witten.

7) Keith Newman, OLB, UFA, MIN - Even though Cato June, Julian Peterson and Will Witherspoon are all superior OLB available this offseason, I think this guy is worth taking a look at. Newman showed flashes of brilliance early in his career in buffalo, but then it seemed he hit a wall in the 02 season and was released. He might not be a full time starter, but is a great situational pass rusher.

8) Joe Nedney, K, UFA, SF - My first choices would obviously be Adam Vinateri or Mike Vanderjagt. But both will likely come with a high price tag if not retained by their respective teams. Nedney is a guy who has seemed pretty consistent the last few seasons, especially since the 49ers need all the points they can get! But his biggest criticism has been his accuracy from kicks 45+ yards. So the question is, do you rely on him to make a 48 yard field goal to win or tie a game if Bledstud and the offense does their part?

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Bledsoe4MVP said:
1) Victor Riley, RT, UFA, HOU - Right now the jury is still out on Petitti, he showed some good things last year, but IMO showed my bad things. I'm just not sure he's the answer at RT but then again he was only a rookie. Riley is a former 1st round pick from KC, he's never reached the potential that some envisioned coming out of Auburn.

Didn't the Texans release him? If so, that sounds like a pretty idiotic free agent target, no? I would bet Palmer still has the clumps of hair he pulled out of his head because of this player.

But he can dominate at the point of contact and has great size and strength. When he's playing well he is the true definition of an authoritative blocker, similar to Larry Allen in his Prime. But when he tires, his focus wanes and inconsistency is present. I think he's worth a look at this point in his career.

:eek:

When he is playing well "he is the definition of an authoritative blocker"? Are you a relative of Victor Riley?

2) Mike Flanagan, C, UFA, GB - We all know the issues this team has at Center, but this one might be a gamble. I say that because Flanagan is a 10 year vet and also had some serious knee issues with tendinitis that kept him out of the lineup for extended periods of time the last few years. But if he can stay healthy, he is very versatile and can play multiple position on the Oline.

Too old and too injured. This fellow is NEVER healthy.

3) Idrees Bashir, S, UFA, CAR - He was drafted by Tony Dungy in Indy to be his new John Lynch for the Colts. But injuries have kept him out of the line-up. When he's on his game he can cover a lot of field and can be a very aggressive pass defender...maybe a bit too aggressive. He's only been in the league 4 years though, and I look at this kid as another Anthony Henry.

We had our chance to sign him this offseason and passed. His lack of impact with the Panthers shows what a wise move that was.

4) Mack Strong, FB, UFA, SEA - I'm pretty sure Seattle will retain him, especially since he's played there his whole career. Also the guy he blocks for did ok this season as well ;-). Mack is a seasoned veteran at an endangered position in this league. I think Polite has tremendous upside, but Strong is a bruising physical beast. He reminds me of a great FB that Bledstud used to play with by the name of Sam Gash. Strong is also good for about 20 catches a season as well.

Strong is still very good, but I do not know if A) we want a FB this old or B) whether he is even willing to leave Seattle.

5) Cory Chavous, S, UFA, MIN - This is another solid safety I wouldn't mind taking a look at. He's never been a interception machine, although he did have a career high 8 in 2003. He has always striked me as an intelligent player and a rock solid defender. The big question is he on the downswing of his career? Or can he rebound and showcase his probowl form from the 03' season?

This is everyone's favorite. Too bad he is better at being a draftnik than he is a free safety candidate.

6) David Givens, WR, UFA, NE - I'm not sure you call a former 7th round pick who emerged as one of Tom Brady's key weapons during their dynasty a sleeper. But he's still a relative 'unknown' player to the average jo blow football fan. He has been called 'deceptively quick' by a lot of scouts around the league. His reception total continues to increase each year and he's average 707 yards a season since his 02'. If the Pats don't resign him, I would definitely take a look at this emerging young player. Especially since we are not getting any younger at the receiver position and Bledstud could use another young weapon like Witten.

This would be a great signing. But he is supposedly destined for Miami.

7) Keith Newman, OLB, UFA, MIN - Even though Cato June, Julian Peterson and Will Witherspoon are all superior OLB available this offseason, I think this guy is worth taking a look at. Newman showed flashes of brilliance early in his career in buffalo, but then it seemed he hit a wall in the 02 season and was released. He might not be a full time starter, but is a great situational pass rusher.

If we bother, depth only. We are better off with Fujita.

8) Joe Nedney, K, UFA, SF - My first choices would obviously be Adam Vinateri or Mike Vanderjagt. But both will likely come with a high price tag if not retained by their respective teams. Nedney is a guy who has seemed pretty consistent the last few seasons, especially since the 49ers need all the points they can get! But his biggest criticism has been his accuracy from kicks 45+ yards. So the question is, do you rely on him to make a 48 yard field goal to win or tie a game if Bledstud and the offense does their part?

He can kickoff well, but he is very injury prone, which is a bad thing for a kicker. I would not waste the time or money. There are better PKs available.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Scrubs who will metamophoses to superstars huh? Interesting list.

Bledsoe4MVP

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile said:
Scrubs who will metamophoses to superstars huh? Interesting list.

Givens isn't a scrub, but could you imagine how his career would take off if he had bledstud throwing to him!:bow:

Alexander

Reaction score
Bledsoe4MVP said:
Givens isn't a scrub, but could you imagine how his career would take off if he had bledstud throwing to him!:bow:

Givens is the only player on that list that would be an sizeable improvement over what we have.

Bledsoe4MVP

Benched
Reaction score
Alexander said:
Givens is the only player on that list that would be an sizeable improvement over what we have.

I saw your other response too, like I said I called it a 'sleeper' list because these are all guys who I feel might be worth taking a chance on, especially if its a inexpensive chance, to see where they might fit on this team.

As of right now I feel the biggest needs are C, RT, WR, FB, S, K and OLB....some obviously greater than other like a Oline and K.

Who knows what this roster will look like in 06', but some of those listed players might be worth a hard look.:cool:

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Bledsoe4MVP said:
If he isn't a scrub why would you want him? He'll mess up the mojo.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Alexander

Reaction score
Bledsoe4MVP said:
I saw your other response too, like I said I called it a 'sleeper' list because these are all guys who I feel might be worth taking a chance on, especially if its a inexpensive chance, to see where they might fit on this team.

As of right now I feel the biggest needs are C, RT, WR, FB, S, K and OLB....some obviously greater than other like a Oline and K.

Who knows what this roster will look like in 06', but some of those listed players might be worth a hard look.:cool:

True, but you have to assume we don't go quantity over quality. We are not dead in the water in terms of the cap (what exactly do we have BTW?), so we could easily just go after the few areas that are toughest to fill in the draft. We targeted right guard, corner and nose tackle last year. I don't see any reason why we would have a plan any more broad than we would coming off a 6-10 season.

We should go after a kicker, right tackle and wide receiver in free agency. Why? Because this is a bad WR draft, I don't think we are willing to go with rookies at tackle again and placekickers are a crap shoot anyways.

If we go on the cheap like this list suggests, these are the types that we pick up late in the process, like we did with Anthony Thomas. I certainly wouldn't have any of these players (save Givens) anywhere near my short list.

AmishCowboy

if you ain't first, you're last
Reaction score
For a Kicker, I Want Longwell, Heard his good at Kickoffs too.

Bledsoe4MVP

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile said:
If he isn't a scrub why would you want him? He'll mess up the mojo.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

If he stay's in NE, he has the best QB in football to help nurture his development. Since he is still emerging and if he does in fact decide to leave NE, he would be wise to sign with a team that has another top QB like Studsoe.

Drew would most certainly have him in the probowl in 06' given his big arm and knack for finding speedy receivers down the field. This would be a match made in heaven, and a much better risk that signing TO.:cool:

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Some of my "under the radar" free agents:

Maake Kemoeatu, NT, Baltimore
Bart Scott, LB, Baltimore
Derek Smith, LB, 49ers
Verron Haynes, RB/FB, Pittsburgh

neosapien23

Reaction score
junk said:

That dude is big. I wonder how he would do in the 3-4 as NT.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
neosapien23 said:
junk said:

That dude is big. I wonder how he would do in the 3-4 as NT.

Uh, good I'd hope. I certainly wasn't singling him out to play FS.

Alexander

Reaction score
junk said:
Verron Haynes, RB/FB, Pittsburgh

Before the Pittsburgh game last year, Coach Parcells was spoke highly of three players in particular: Ben Roethlisburger, Antuan Randle El and Verron Haynes.