Practice Points: Backup QBs struggle, Jalens shine on Day 1

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/practice-points-backup-qbs-struggle-jalens-shine-on-day-1

Here are the observations and notes from the DallasCowboys.com staff from day one.
  • DeMarvion Overshown was back on the practice field for the Cowboys, not simply relegated to sideline rehab, for the first time since suffering a torn ACL last August; and he moved extremely well and didn't look as if he was overthinking his reconstructed knee whatsoever. It's a huge sign that he could hit the ground running after his redshirt season, and that would be a jackpot for Mike Zimmer's defense and the LBs corps. (Walker)
  • The QB2 battle is officially underway as Trey Lance and Cooper Rush took the field with the backup quarterback job on the line over the course of the next four weeks. Sure, the duo is still getting acclimated in Oxnard, but the job interview begins now. Neither started off on a particularly strong foot with Lance hesitating to push the ball downfield more than five yards and Rush making some errant throws. The slight advantage would go to Rush from me today, but it wasn't in particularly winning fashion. (Nick Harris)
  • Rookie offensive lineman Cooper Beebe struggled with delivering shotgun snaps throughout practice. He started to struggle early during the offensive line's individual drills and improved with more reps during the 7-on-7 period. It'll take some adjustments, but the team is making an early point to get him the necessary reps. (Youmans)
  • Watch out for the Jalens. Young wide receivers Jalen Tolbert and Jalen Brooks are amongst the top in the mix battling to be the WR3 after Michael Gallup's departure, and both turned heads on Thursday. Brooks snagged a couple of high-point grabs along the sideline and Tolbert made arguably the catch of the day on a back-shoulder red-zone throw from Dak Prescott. This battle is shaping up to be a heated one as training camp powers on. (Nick Harris)
  • One thing that is very noticeable even with the pads off, is the new look for tight end Peyton Hendershot. The third-year tight end has trimmed down, looking more like a wide receiver. And it was evident in some of his route-running as Hendershot found himself open on a couple of routes in the team and 7-on-7 drills. (Nick Eatman)
  • Caelen Carson shined in his first practice. Mostly in 7-on-7 reps, the rookie cornerback stayed sticky in coverage and batted down a couple passes on the boundary. Was a key contributor on a good day for the defensive backs. (Youmans)
  • Speaking of players who've earned their way back onto the field after a torn ACL, count John Stephens Jr. in as another and, like Overshown, the young tight end has also put on muscle mass during his recovery. His routes looked good and his hands did as well, though it appears he might need a few practices to get back to the form we saw when he was tearing up training camp in 2023 — as far as the quickness in his breaks are concerned. With added weight comes learning how to move it. (Walker)
  • The Mazi Smith Spectacle will be one to keep an eye on during training camp, as fans start to ask about his physical readiness arriving in Oxnard. Smith looks comfortably over 300 pounds, which is a positive development considering it appeared he fell under that weight late last season before having offseason shoulder surgery. He got all of the first-team reps at the 1-Tech spot on defense, as he looks to solidify that spot going into year two. (Nick Harris)
  • For the second year in a row, it appears that we're going to see a heavy dose of Deuce Vaughn in practice. And in this setting, he should be pretty good – and he was on Thursday. He's going to be quick and agile and find room in the defense. Sure, they weren't tackling but Vaughn was moving well in space and seems like he'll have a solid role, especially in the passing game. (Nick Eatman)
  • You're about to sense a theme here with me: I was eyeing those returning from injury to gauge their progress. Luke Schoonmaker fell upon my list of must-see players on Thursday, having missed some of the offseason program with a hamstring issue. It didn't look as if he was favoring it at all in 7-on-7 drills, and the inside seam route he caught from Dak Prescott provided evidence that the former second-round pick is back to full health — needing only to stay that way to have a chance at making an impact. (Walker)
  • Two plays on defense that stood out included a strong pass breakup from Donovan Wilson during 7-on-7 action that drew some fanfare from the crowd in attendance and an interception from rookie undrafted linebacker Jason Johnson on a tipped checkdown from Trey Lance to Deuce Vaughn that Vaughn couldn't corral. (Nick Harris)
  • Dak tested the deep ball multiple times in the first practice. He delivered a great throw to Brandin Cooks deep down the left sideline that was dropped. Another snap he threw one into the breadbasket for Tyron Billy-Johnson for a big gain through double-coverage. (Youmans)

DanTanna

Original Zone Member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this!

I’m confused with the Overshown hype. His NFL draft grade was “special teamer, career back-up”. Why do posters think he’ll be a difference maker? Think Malik Jefferson without the production or measurabIes. hope he helps us big time and I totally hope he over performs his expected grade.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Thanks for posting this!

I’m confused with the Overshown hype. His NFL draft grade was “special teamer, career back-up”. Why do posters think he’ll be a difference maker? Think Malik Jefferson without the production or measurabIes. hope he helps us big time and I totally hope he over performs his expected grade.
I mean most mid rounders gonna get that grade. They thought Fred Warner was a special teamer until
He wasn’t.

exciter

Reaction score
Thanks for posting this!

Most everyone had him as a late 3rd to 4th with his size being his biggest negative. Thats a year or two of development and time in the weight room but still more than special team player!

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Thanks for that dose of the early practice session by our team's writers, Rockport.
It's great to see what's been developing lately! Keep up the good work, sir!:thumbup:

Last edited:

Creeper

Reaction score
One practice.

I have a feeling the Cowboys will have more talent at TE than they can use. If Hendershot shows up big at Camp, and Schoon improved in his second year, and Stephens comes up big as well, I don't know what they will do. I thought Hendershot will struggle to make the team this year. Of course, in my mind, I want the best combination of receiving and blocking skills from all my TEs.

If Mazi is going to make an impact this year, it is not just his weight. It's great he is bigger, but he needs to get off on the snap quicker. That's what we need to be looking for. If he remains slow like last year, the weight gain will not help him much against NFL Centers and Guards.

DanTanna

Original Zone Member
Reaction score
Most everyone had him as a late 3rd to 4th with his size being his biggest negative. Thats a year or two of development and time in the weight room but still more than special team player!
Fingers crossed man. We really need him. This team needs a surprise player that comes out of no where and gets us over the hump.

Brax

Reaction score
https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/practice-points-backup-qbs-struggle-jalens-shine-on-day-1

Here are the observations and notes from the DallasCowboys.com staff from day one.
  • DeMarvion Overshown was back on the practice field for the Cowboys, not simply relegated to sideline rehab, for the first time since suffering a torn ACL last August; and he moved extremely well and didn't look as if he was overthinking his reconstructed knee whatsoever. It's a huge sign that he could hit the ground running after his redshirt season, and that would be a jackpot for Mike Zimmer's defense and the LBs corps. (Walker)
  • The QB2 battle is officially underway as Trey Lance and Cooper Rush took the field with the backup quarterback job on the line over the course of the next four weeks. Sure, the duo is still getting acclimated in Oxnard, but the job interview begins now. Neither started off on a particularly strong foot with Lance hesitating to push the ball downfield more than five yards and Rush making some errant throws. The slight advantage would go to Rush from me today, but it wasn't in particularly winning fashion. (Nick Harris)
  • Rookie offensive lineman Cooper Beebe struggled with delivering shotgun snaps throughout practice. He started to struggle early during the offensive line's individual drills and improved with more reps during the 7-on-7 period. It'll take some adjustments, but the team is making an early point to get him the necessary reps. (Youmans)
  • Watch out for the Jalens. Young wide receivers Jalen Tolbert and Jalen Brooks are amongst the top in the mix battling to be the WR3 after Michael Gallup's departure, and both turned heads on Thursday. Brooks snagged a couple of high-point grabs along the sideline and Tolbert made arguably the catch of the day on a back-shoulder red-zone throw from Dak Prescott. This battle is shaping up to be a heated one as training camp powers on. (Nick Harris)
  • One thing that is very noticeable even with the pads off, is the new look for tight end Peyton Hendershot. The third-year tight end has trimmed down, looking more like a wide receiver. And it was evident in some of his route-running as Hendershot found himself open on a couple of routes in the team and 7-on-7 drills. (Nick Eatman)
  • Caelen Carson shined in his first practice. Mostly in 7-on-7 reps, the rookie cornerback stayed sticky in coverage and batted down a couple passes on the boundary. Was a key contributor on a good day for the defensive backs. (Youmans)
  • Speaking of players who've earned their way back onto the field after a torn ACL, count John Stephens Jr. in as another and, like Overshown, the young tight end has also put on muscle mass during his recovery. His routes looked good and his hands did as well, though it appears he might need a few practices to get back to the form we saw when he was tearing up training camp in 2023 — as far as the quickness in his breaks are concerned. With added weight comes learning how to move it. (Walker)
  • The Mazi Smith Spectacle will be one to keep an eye on during training camp, as fans start to ask about his physical readiness arriving in Oxnard. Smith looks comfortably over 300 pounds, which is a positive development considering it appeared he fell under that weight late last season before having offseason shoulder surgery. He got all of the first-team reps at the 1-Tech spot on defense, as he looks to solidify that spot going into year two. (Nick Harris)
  • For the second year in a row, it appears that we're going to see a heavy dose of Deuce Vaughn in practice. And in this setting, he should be pretty good – and he was on Thursday. He's going to be quick and agile and find room in the defense. Sure, they weren't tackling but Vaughn was moving well in space and seems like he'll have a solid role, especially in the passing game. (Nick Eatman)
  • You're about to sense a theme here with me: I was eyeing those returning from injury to gauge their progress. Luke Schoonmaker fell upon my list of must-see players on Thursday, having missed some of the offseason program with a hamstring issue. It didn't look as if he was favoring it at all in 7-on-7 drills, and the inside seam route he caught from Dak Prescott provided evidence that the former second-round pick is back to full health — needing only to stay that way to have a chance at making an impact. (Walker)
  • Two plays on defense that stood out included a strong pass breakup from Donovan Wilson during 7-on-7 action that drew some fanfare from the crowd in attendance and an interception from rookie undrafted linebacker Jason Johnson on a tipped checkdown from Trey Lance to Deuce Vaughn that Vaughn couldn't corral. (Nick Harris)
  • Dak tested the deep ball multiple times in the first practice. He delivered a great throw to Brandin Cooks deep down the left sideline that was dropped. Another snap he threw one into the breadbasket for Tyron Billy-Johnson for a big gain through double-coverage. (Youmans)
The homer news network in full swing.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this!

I think it was because he was looking quite good last preseason before his injury. He was all over the place making plays. Doesn't mean he'll do it in the regular season, but he looked like our best linebacker (not named Parsons) at that time.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Great to get back to football news.

I expect more from the QB's over the next few days. Trey will push the ball downfield more. Could be throwing the shorter passes to get his arm warmed up.

Not that he did not throw anyone OTA's and mini camp. But how much has he really thrown in the last 6 weeks leading up toTC.
Other than just tossing the ball around.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
One practice.

I have a feeling the Cowboys will have more talent at TE than they can use. If Hendershot shows up big at Camp, and Schoon improved in his second year, and Stephens comes up big as well, I don't know what they will do. I thought Hendershot will struggle to make the team this year. Of course, in my mind, I want the best combination of receiving and blocking skills from all my TEs.

If Mazi is going to make an impact this year, it is not just his weight. It's great he is bigger, but he needs to get off on the snap quicker. That's what we need to be looking for. If he remains slow like last year, the weight gain will not help him much against NFL Centers and Guards.
maybe a trade for some low round picks or trade excess for somebody else's excess.

Brax

Reaction score
:facepalm:
So you just want hater news?
Fair and unbiased, every year the same slanted news all the hype how many times have they talked about players who are killing it and they don’t even make the PS. If you enjoy the slanted team media who are paid by Jerry great enjoy the fluff and propaganda