Practice Squad Question

ejthedj

Reaction score
What are the restrictions on who can be on the PS? I know rookies, and I heard "some second year players" Anybody know what second year players? I'm trying to project my 52 and PS, and part of it depends on who can stay in the minors and who can't...

Thanks

Reaction score
ejthedj said:
What are the restrictions on who can be on the PS? I know rookies, and I heard "some second year players" Anybody know what second year players? I'm trying to project my 52 and PS, and part of it depends on who can stay in the minors and who can't...

Thanks

I don't remember the exact rules... I'm sure someone will pop up in a second with them... but, they can't have been on the active roster for so many weeks or started in so many games... and under two years in the league, I'm thinking...

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
From the CBA at nflpa.org although I thought the practice squad is 8 players now.

PRACTICE SQUADS

Section 1. Practice Squads: For each regular season commencing with the 1993 League Year, the League may elect in accordance with this Article to establish practice squads not to exceed five (5) players per Club.

Section 2. Signing With Other Clubs: Any player under contract to a Club as a practice squad player shall be completely free to negotiate and sign a Player Contract with any Club at any time during the League Year, to serve as a player on any Club’s Active or Inactive List, and any Club is completely free to negotiate and sign such a Player Contract with such player, without penalty or restriction, including, but not limited to, Draft Choice Compensation between Clubs or First Refusal Rights of any kind, or any signing period, except that such player shall not be permitted to sign a Player Contract with another Club to serve as a practice squad player while under contract as a practice squad player.

Section 3. Salary: Minimum salary for a practice squad player shall be $4,000 per week for the 2002 League Year, $4,350 for the 2003-04 League Years, and $4,700 for the 2005-07 League Years including postseason weeks in which his Club is in the playoffs.

* Extension Agreement 1/8/02

Section 4. Eligibility:

(a) The practice squad shall consist of the following players, provided that they have not served more than one previous season on a Practice Squad: (i) players who do not have an Accrued Season of NFL experience; and (ii) free agent players who were on the Active List for fewer than nine regular season games during their only Accrued Season(s). No player may be a practice squad player for more than two seasons.

*Extension Agreement 2/25/98

(b) A player shall be deemed to have served on a Practice Squad in a season if he has passed the club’s physical and has been a member of a club’s Practice Squad for at least three regular season or post-season games (a bye week counts as a game provided that the player is not terminated until after the regular season or post-season weekend in question).

*Extension Agreement 2/25/98

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
StonetheCrow77 said:
didn't they expand the practice squad to 7 players last year?

Nope, they expanded it to 8... junk was right about that... and for the guy who started this thread, the final roster will be 53 men, not 52...

ejthedj

Reaction score
I knew that...just a typo... Thanks for the help, guys. Let me ask specifically - Can Polite go on the PS? What about Crowder? B. Thornton? And the TE Pierce?

Thanks for the help, again

Eric