Pre 1981 sack monsters

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
T-6. Harvey Martin, 1977
harvey-martin-1977.jpg

Focus on Sport/Getty Images

Moving into the upper reaches of pre-modern sack royalty, Martin was a wire-to-wire force in the Cowboys' best season under Tom Landry. In the final year of the 14-game schedule, Martin ripped through a 20-sack season. The 1977 Defensive Player of the Year punctuated his season with three playoff sacks, including two in a Super Bowl XII rout that ended with Martin and Randy White as co-MVPs. Dallas forced eight Denver turnovers that day. From 1976-78, Martin accumulated a staggering 49 regular-season sacks and teamed with White and Ed "Too Tall" Jones to keep the "Doomsday" pass rush elite into the 1980s.

terra

Reaction score
Its a typical screwup that the NFL ignored sacks as an official stat as long as it did.
I wonder how many Bob Lilly got; he played his entire career before it was kept; same as George Andrie who is CRIMINALLY under rated.

Flamma

Reaction score
During the 4th quarter of the Cowboys at 49ers game in 1977, a message appeared on the screen during the telecast. Harver Martin leads the league with 23 sacks.

The game is available on you tube for anyone to watch.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
Same excuse that was used to keep Bob Hayes out for so long- his drug use
Of course by the time he was put in the HOF EVERYONE knew how much coke LT had been doing while PLAYING.
I agree and the fact they still keep him out is bull****. It didn’t affect his play on the field, except it might have actually hindered him at times. Although not sack related, I’ve always wondered how great of a career Thomas Henderson would’ve had if he had stayed away from drugs and had a good head on his shoulders then (he has had for quite some time now). I strongly suspect he would be in the HoF. His physical talent was phenomenal back then. Oh well, what could’ve been.

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score
Dont ever hear too much about the Jets "Sack Exchange" - here is a good tid bit...

The anchor of the "New York Sack Exchange" led the way in sacks becoming an official statistic. In the same year Gastineau got to 20, Klecko reeled off 20.5 for a Jets team that totaled 66. With defensive tackles Marty Lyons and Abdul Salaam combining for 13, this defensive line -- with some help from notable 1981 rookie Lawrence Taylor -- changed NFL history. Unofficial sack totals were no more by 1982. Klecko later moved to defensive tackle and played a 3-4 D-end role, and while he only surpassed 11 sacks once in a season, his age-28 slate opposite Gastineau was one of the best.

guag

Tertiary Adjunct of Unimatrix 01
Reaction score
T-8. George Andrie, 1966
t-8-george-andrie-1966.jpg

Playing on a defensive line housing Jethro Pugh and Hall of Famer Bob Lilly, Andrie faced plenty of single blocks. He won a lot of those matchups. The Dallas defensive end's best sack season came in 1966 -- the Cowboys' first playoff campaign -- when he registered an NFL-leading 18.5. He added two more sacks on Bart Starr in the Cowboys' last-second loss to the Packers in the NFL Championship Game. Andrie was with Dallas through its first two Super Bowls in the early '70s, but the 6-foot-6 rusher's best stretch came during his 20s in the '60s.

terra

Reaction score
I agree and the fact they still keep him out is bull****. It didn’t affect his play on the field, except it might have actually hindered him at times. Although not sack related, I’ve always wondered how great of a career Thomas Henderson would’ve had if he had stayed away from drugs and had a good head on his shoulders then (he has had for quite some time now). I strongly suspect he would be in the HoF. His physical talent was phenomenal back then. Oh well, what could’ve been.
Duane Thomas and Hollywood Henderson are the two Cowboys that wasted incredible talent. Thomas had it all; could have pushed for the NFL Rushing Career Title I believe.
Henderson could have been LT before there was a LT.

ottawacowpoke

Reaction score
Duane Thomas and Hollywood Henderson are the two Cowboys that wasted incredible talent. Thomas had it all; could have pushed for the NFL Rushing Career Title I believe.
This. Bob Lilly compared Thomas to Jim Brown. All the tools but no toolbox. (Hockey saying).

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
Coy Bacon is one of the funniest names in history

I think he played next to Shy Frankfurter

plasticman

Reaction score

Yep, those are two of the top ones. Duane Thomas was a friend of Jim Brown's and, in fact, I think Brown encouraged Duane to behave that way

Duane did give one of the greatest Super bowl quotes.

A reporter asked Duane what it felt like to play in the "ultimate" game. Duane said, "If this is the ultimate game, then why are they playing it again next year?"

You are spot on about Henderson's talent level. He once ran back a kickoff for a TD. I think he did have equal talent to Lawrence years before Taylor came to the NFL.