Predict the 53 Man Roster: Part II - The Running Backs

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
Time to show your stuff! Predict the 53 man roster before the preseason or even training camp starts.

This is a multiple choice poll. Select as many players as you think Bill will keep on the team. What do we have to look forward to?

This poll will be linked in future polls. Feel free to check the links for previous polls and vote if you have not already for that position.

Part I - Safeties
Part II - Running Backs
Part III - Offensive Tackles
Part IV - Defensive Ends
Part IV - Offensive Guards & Centers
Part V - Outside Linebackers
Part VI - Cornerbacks
Part VII - Wide Receivers
Part VIII - Defensive Tackles
Part IX - Inside Linebackers
Part X - Tight Ends
Part XI - Special Teams
Part XII - Quarterbacks

Last year, Bill went with 5 backs, although the A-Train soon found himself derailed. With a promised emphasis on 2 TE sets, and a 2nd round draft pick spent on a tight end with a roster that already has Jason Witten, you can expect a fullback such as Polite to have a hard time making the team. Julius and Barber look like safe bets, although it's probably a put up or shut up year for JuJo. Unless you're not a fan of Jones or Barber, the only debate is whether or not Tyson Thompson can hold off the other youngsters, Kincade and Summers, and will Bill decide to bring back Polite, or instead go with another tight end?

(Feel free to reply with comments on players you think will make the practice squad.)

Marion+Barber.jpg

Name & Vitals: Marion Barber, 6'0" 212 lbs.
NFL Experience & College: 1 year (Minnesota)
How Acquired by Dallas: Draft
Originally Acquired: 4th Round, 2005 (Cowboys)
2005 Stats: 13 games, 138 ATT, 538 Yards, 3.9 avg, 5 TD, 3 FUM, 18 REC, 115 Yards Rec, 0 Rec TD

JuliusJones01.jpg

Name & Vitals: Julius Jones, 5'10" 205 lbs.
NFL Experience & College: 2 years (Notre Dame)
How Acquired by Dallas: Draft
Originally Acquired: 2nd Round, 2004 (Cowboys)
2005 Stats: 13 games, 257 ATT, 993 Yards, 3.9 avg, 5 TD, 4 FUM, 35 REC, 218 Yards Rec, 0 Rec TD

http://www.***BANNED-URL***/img/photo/08-05/0809cowboys2.jpg
Name & Vitals: Keylon Kincade, 5'11" 204 lbs.
NFL Experience & College: 2 years (SMU)
How Acquired by Dallas: Free Agency
Originally Acquired: rookie free agent, 2004 (Giants)
2005 Stats: 0 games

5077248_240X180.jpg

Name & Vitals: Lousaka Polite, 6'0" 246 lbs.
NFL Experience & College: 2 years (Pittsburgh)
How Acquired by Dallas: Rookie Free Agency
Originally Acquired: rookie free agent, 2004 (Cowboys)
2005 Stats: 14 games, 2 ATT, 8 Yards, 4.0 avg, 0 TD, 0 FUM, 9 REC, 72 Yards, 1 Rec TD

roach.jpg

Name & Vitals: Demetris Summers, 6'1" 207 lbs.
NFL Experience & College: rookie (South Carolina)
Originally Acquired: rookie free agent, 2006 (Cowboys)
2005 Stats (college): did not play, suspended (2004 college stats 88 rushes, 487 yards, 1 TD)

1680869.jpg

Name & Vitals: Tyson Thompson, 6'1" 215 lbs.
NFL Experience & College: 1 year (San Jose State)
Originally Acquired: rookie free agent, 2005 (Cowboys)
2005 Stats: 15 games, 46 ATT, 182 Yards, 4.0 avg, 0 TD, 2 FUM, 3 REC, 16 Yards Rec, 0 Rec TD

Other: No promising cuts on the radar yet although you can bet Bill will keep his eyes open for good goalline runners and special teams players.

aznhalf

Reaction score
Think its going to have to be the 3 from last year. I could see Thompson being dropped since we don't need him as a primary kick returner, but I thought he did well as a COP back.

Polite is gone with the commitment to the 2 TE set.

DragonCowboy

Reaction score
With what I hear, Summers should replace Thompson. We have Skyler to worry about KR and PR.

bobtheflob

Reaction score
Julius and Barber are obvious. I think Thompson stays. We got Skyler more because of our woeful punt returning last year than any problem with the kick off returning, so I think Thompson stays in the latter role.

Summers has to have a very good training camp/preseason to have a chance IMO. Although with Julius's health history it wouldn't shock me if we did keep 4.

DMX690

Reaction score
My choices would be... Julius Jones, MB III, and Tyson Thompson. I fell Parcell sees something in Thompson, his size and his speed. As well, if Skyler Green can't adjust to the pro game then Thompson can step right in as a effective kickoff returner.

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
Looks like folks think the main 3 will come back with Demetris Summers providing a longshot challenge. Definitely not as scattered as the safeties.

bobtheflob

Reaction score
Why is it that other team's fans like ben7steeler and RiggoForever like to come on this board and vote the opposite of what they think? Do they really have nothing better to do?

aikemirv

Reaction score
I would think that if the coaches had any inclination that Summers could make the team, they would have signed him to a contract!

StylisticS

Reaction score
I think Julius, and Marion are obviously locks. Tyson and Demetrius have a shot to make it.

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
bobtheflob said:
Why is it that other team's fans like ben7steeler and RiggoForever like to come on this board and vote the opposite of what they think? Do they really have nothing better to do?

I wouldn't worry about it. The only thing I regret is we won't have any 100% players. The few, the proud, the "I will personally kill Jerry Jones if he ever trades this guy" players.

stealth

Benched
Reaction score
summers hasn't even been offered a contract has he?

and he failed drug tests I would imagine the coaches have a bad taste in their mouths from good old Q.

bobbie brewskie

Reaction score
summers is better rounded than thompson and doesnt rely stricly on speed . . . but thompson is still here incase green goes down and hes a good change of pace back, Summers looks to much like JJ and MBIII

twa

Reaction score
Jone,Barber, Thompson...Summers to the PS(too green yet)