Prevent defense & "special teams"

jack2

Reaction score
though it seems easier to blame romo and/or witten for yesterdays debacle, i put it all on the defensive gameplan when up by 10 points! the infamous prevent (from winning) defense and special teams!

landryscorner

Reaction score
Prevent defense is an NFL epidemic and a Broken system...Coaches just love to use it, its BS ....10-12 yards off the receivers and middle zones wide open just ridiculous

Boysboy

Reaction score
jack2;2473706 said:
though it seems easier to blame romo and/or witten for yesterdays debacle, i put it all on the defensive gameplan when up by 10 points! the infamous prevent (from winning) defense and special teams!

Like I said on other threads-remember the Pats/Chargers playoff game 2 years ago when the prevent D was called at the end of the first half, and Brady moved the Pats offense like clockwork for a TD. PRIOR to that, the Chargers D just rattled him a good one. All it did was get the Pats back into that game.

Pt being that Marty Ball got alot of flack(among many things) for that decision. However-after what Wade did in the playoffs last year AND yesterday, it's obvious that prevent D he called in that Pats game was on HIM.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I actually thought the special teams has been pretty good these last couple of weeks. Especially since adding Polk. But yesterday was horrible. I still think we went to conservative with the offensive gameplan. Steelers were eventually going to score a td.

Canadian BoyzFan

Reaction score
We weren't playing prevent. Watch the game. In fact we blitzed on the Miller TD.

The kickoff return was big...I'll agree there.

landryscorner

Reaction score
Boysboy;2473716 said:
Like I said on other threads-remember the Pats/Chargers playoff game 2 years ago when the prevent D was called at the end of the first half, and Brady moved the Pats offense like clockwork for a TD. PRIOR to that, the Chargers D just rattled him a good one. All it did was get the Pats back into that game.

Pt being that Marty Ball got alot of flack(among many things) for that decision. However-after what Wade did in the playoffs last year AND yesterday, it's obvious that prevent D he called in that Pats game was on HIM.

--------------------------------------------

yah and look where wade ended up because of bonehead defenses like that...

Hope you enjoyed Dallas Wade...

jack2

Reaction score
Canadian BoyzFan;2473727 said:
We weren't playing prevent. Watch the game. In fact we blitzed on the Miller TD.

The kickoff return was big...I'll agree there.
The thing is they played soft, the receiver ususally caugth the ball with nobody even close to him!

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
jack2;2473706 said:

Special teams issues stemmed from a single player. Tra Battle. It was his leg the punt bounced off of (he shouldn't have been anywhere near it after it hit the ground) The 35 yard punt return, he was standing in front of it while it was sitting on the ground before the Steeler returner even picked it up. He should have been on top of the ball preventing the guy from picking it up.

Canadian BoyzFan

Reaction score
jack2;2473739 said:
The thing is they played soft, the receiver ususally caugth the ball with nobody even close to him!

Pretty sure we blitzed 6 or 7 on the play. Miller was originally on the LOS in the formation, it took Hamlin some time to identify the play. It was a good job by Pittsburgh..they excuted. It was not a missed assignment or poor play.

superpunk

Reaction score
Let's not forget the terrible punt return/fumble from Battle. That one can be put on PacMan, I think. Because I don't think anyone was making the "FIRE" call. PacMan needed to run up on it, waving, yelling all get out. Noone knew that ball was shanked.

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
Why does everyone want to blame a certain aspect.

The entire team lost the game yesterday. It's quite simple.

The Dallas Cowboys played like absolute **** when they needed to play their best and put a nail in the coffin.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
This post hits it on the head. Exactly what I've been saying since the game ended. Sure Romo didn't play well at all yesterday, and the last interception obviously sealed our fate. However, the fact that we basically went into a shell both offensively and defensively with a 10 point lead and 10 minutes to go in the 4th quarter is actually cost us this game. Soft zones/prevent defenses do one thing: prevent you from winning. Bottom line.