Prisco Points: Moss or Owens? Nod here goes to ... well, read on

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Updated: Oct/11/2007 04:07 PM

Randy Moss or Terrell Owens?

That's a pertinent question this week as the Dallas Cowboys play host to the New England Patriots. They're the go-to receivers for their teams.

So who's better?

I've always been a big believer that Moss is the best in football when he wants to be. Back in his Minnesota Vikings days, he commanded triple teams. Rams coach Scott Linehan, then the Vikings offensive coordinator, said that no receiver he has been around ever merited the type of attention Moss got when he was in Minnesota.

His ability to stretch the field is a big reason the Vikings were able to lead the league in rushing one year under Linehan. The fewer people in the box, the more explosive plays the Vikings had.

Let's look at their career numbers. In 163 games, Owens has 822 catches for 12,102 yards and 117 touchdowns. In 143 games, Moss has 710 catches for 11,251 yards and 108 touchdowns.

Owens has per-game averages of 5.02 catches and 74.2 yards. Moss averages 4.96 and 78.7. So it's close, but the stretch-the-field dynamic goes to Moss.

This season, Moss has been better. He has 34 catches for a 16.2-yard average and seven touchdowns. Owens has 21 for an 18.4 average and three scores. Owens' higher per-catch average is the interesting number, because Moss is better in that category for their careers.

Marvin Harrison of the Indianapolis Colts is the current active receptions leader with 1,039 in 174 games, putting him fourth all-time. That's 5.9 catches per game, bettering the other two. Same with his per-game average of 80.

Harrison is a lock for the Pro Football Hall of Fame. It helps that he has gone about his business without any off-the-field issues. Moss and Owens have not, which is why some media members and Hall voters have questioned whether they will ever get a bust in Canton.

The answer is they both should.

Jerry Rice, the greatest football player I've ever seen, is the all-time leader in catches, yards and touchdown catches. His 197 touchdown receptions is an amazing number. But Owens (.71) and Moss (.75) both average more touchdown catches per game than Rice (.65) did.

So let's not cloud the future Hall of Fame issues regarding these two players with their off-the-field drama. The honor is about what they do on the field.

Both are Hall worthy.

But if you ask me, Moss is the better of the two -- for his career and for the now.

LINK

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;1703689 said:
This season, Moss has been better. He has 34 catches for a 16.2-yard average and seven touchdowns. Owens has 21 for an 18.4 average and three scores. Owens' higher per-catch average is the interesting number, because Moss is better in that category for their careers.
Interesting? Not really. It's only because Owens spent most of his career in a WCO and Moss spent most of his in an offense that used him primarily to stretch the field. Now, Owens is playing in a downfield offense and he's putting up a higher average than Moss. What this tells me is that Owens could have likely put up higher career average if he had not spent it in WCOs.

I think they're pretty even and the numbers bear that out. But I'll take a WR that gives his all in every practice and on every down over a player that admittedly only plays half-assed when he feels like it.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
How many drops per game has Moss had? TO? What's their median number of drops per game or season?

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
jobberone;1703705 said:
How many drops per game has Moss had? TO? What's their median number of drops per game or season?
If TO has more drops, but has more catches per game, wouldn't that suggest that TO gets open more often than Moss, thus negating his drops?

Reaction score
Amazing what a year does... People forget how horrible Moss was in Oakland. Let's see then there was comments about playing when he wants to... I guess when you change uniforms and end up in New England things get pushed under the rug...:rolleyes:

Hypnotoad

Reaction score
TO has proven he can lose without causing drama. Moss hasn't. Yet, I heard this morning about how much of a saint Moss is and how much drama TO is causing.

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
Hypnotoad;1703891 said:
TO has proven he can lose without causing drama. Moss hasn't. Yet, I heard this morning about how much of a saint Moss is and how much drama TO is causing.

I would just love for someone to point out the drama TO is causing. I mean just once. People say stuff and It's like "Oh it's TO so it must be true."

I hope he sets the record for most receptions, TDs & yardage in a game on Sunday. I'm starting to like TO more and more just to spite the media.

As a matter of fact, I want a TO smiley on this forum. Oh wait, we have one...

:popcorn: