Pro Bowl weekend mock

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
As far as free agency and “all-in” from the Jones, my take is that Jerry’s words have almost no meaning. If they are “all in” now does that mean they were not all in before? More than likely, Jerry thinks simply bringing the gang all back and saying the words is truly going for it. My guess is they will operate under the same parameters they have these past few years. They will re-sign their own players, including some they should not or prematurely give a new deal. Will McClay will be tasked to find some free agents that are willing to sign cheap 1-year deal; most likely underrated high-traits guys or former 1st round picks that have not worked out so far.

The following mock draft is independent of free agent predictions.

Scenario

I use the PFF mock simulator (way too much really, I have issues) and in general, this is how the 1st round pick plays out. Taliese Fuaga and Jackson-Powers-Johnson are off the board. No one there that makes you shift philosophy. Quarterbacks and some (lesser caliber) Receivers are on the board. Cowboys would be wise to make a slight trade down and try to recoup some midround picks.

Trade
Dallas sends the 24th pick to Buffalo for their 1st (28th), 3rd (99th), and 2025 4th round pick.

The two players the Cowboys were considering at 24 are still there at 28. They consider another trade down but no quality offers.

Selection
1(28) Tyler Guyton Tackle (6’7”, 327) Oklahoma.

Guyton has drawn comparisons to Tyron Smith and Tyler Smith, two guys the Cowboys think highly of. Guyton is powerful but raw. He is the future at Left Tackle.

Scenario
PFF has T’Vondre Sweat here and if he’s there, you sprint to the podium. I think PFF is wrong, and he will be long gone by now. The Cowboys are looking at WRs, RBs, and some LBs with question marks. I’m leaning WR here since Gallup is likely a cap casualty, Cooks is in his final year, and Tolbert has been inconsistent.

Selection
2(56) Brenden Rice Wide Receiver (6’3”, 210) USC

Rice has a great combination of size, speed, and athleticism. He’s extremely physical and he can step in for Gallup as the 1-on-1, jump ball option for Dak.

Scenario
This is where Jerry loses interest (apparently Stephen never really has interest) and Will McClay gets to shine. McClay sells Jerry on this prospect’s upside.

Selection
3a(87) Austin Booker Edge (6’6”, 245) Kansas

Only a Redshirt Sophomore, Booker started 1 game and played in 12 for the Jayhawks. However, he still accounted for 9 sacks, 26 QB hurries, and 37 total pressures. He showed out at Senior Bowl practices this week as well. He’s super twitchy with 34-inch arms, he has the traits you look for in elite edge players. The Cowboys envision a pass rushing line up of Parsons, Tank, and Decker being a nightmare for opposing quarterbacks.

Scenario
The Cowboys missed out on their top two Center targets, so they pull the trigger here.

Selection
3b(99) Sedrick Van Pran Center (6’4”, 310, Georgia)

Van Pran is only 22 but has taken 2,721 snaps for the Bulldogs the past three seasons. He also graded out at 77.9 overall, 76.9 run blocking and 81.5 pass blocking. Of the four Cowboys selections so far, he has the best chance to be a Day One starter.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Day Three

Scenario

The Cowboys toy with trading into the 4th round but exercise patience and see who falls to them in the 5th. Reminder, McClay is big on traits.

Selection
5(174) Trevin Wallace Linebacker (6’2”, 241) Kentucky

The team is desperate need of linebackers with size and grab their guy in the ultra-athletic Wallace. He was #11 on Bruce Feldman’s annual freaks list: former high school track star — who once jumped 23-4 1/4 inches to break a school record that stood for 44 years and also won the state weightlifting title with a 335-pound power clean — is now up to 242 pounds, but still runs 22 MPH on the GPS and vertical-jumps 38.5 inches. His power clean is now up to 380 and he squats almost 600.

Scenario

The Cowboys had hopes of landing a Runningback earlier, but the board doesn’t always fall your way. They take the top remaining RB on their board here.

Selection
6(212) Blake Watson Runningback (5’9”, 195) Memphis

They go back to the Memphis well and get an explosive, all-purpose weapon in Watson. In 2023, he had 1152 yards rushing, 53 receptions for another 485, and 17 total TDs. Before Memphis, he had over 2000 yards (rushing, receiving, return) for Old Dominion.

Scenario
Again, this is where the Jones have completely tuned out and McClay and his scouting staff stands out. Expect the unexpected, aka guys you have never heard of.

Selections
7a(231) Andre Carter Defensive Line (6’5”, 270) Indiana

7a(242) Trente Jones Guard/Tackle (6’4”, 325) Michigan

The Cowboys love tweeners on the defensive line (think Golston and Fehoko) and Carter has the ability to play Edge and 3Tech. His 87.8 run defense was first among all edge rushers in college football.

Trente Jones was part of two Joe Moore awards (nation’s best offensive lines) while at Michigan. Was generally their “6th man” but had had 12 starts, including stepping in for Zak Zinter after he broke his leg late this season. The Cowboys had an up close and personal look at Jones who was in Frisco last week for the Shrine Bowl.

RS12

Reaction score
Any idea what Rice is expected to time at combine/ pro day? TJ Watt vibe from Booker/

cnuball21

Reaction score
You lost me at Rice and Booker. Rice isn’t on any top 50 list I’ve seen out there and doesn’t appear to be a 2nd round athlete and Booker is a project.

Love trading down and grabbing Guyton but not good with the next 2 picks.

bleachedwheat

Reaction score
You lost me at Rice and Booker. Rice isn’t on any top 50 list I’ve seen out there and doesn’t appear to be a 2nd round athlete and Booker is a project.

Love trading down and grabbing Guyton but not good with the next 2 picks.
Rice will rise up draft boards. He showed out at the senior bowl. As long as he doesn't bomb the combine and interviews, I could see him at 56. He definitely won't last until pick 99. Give the media and scouts a few weeks to adjust their top 50's.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Any draft that nets Guyton and Van Pran look good to me. Van Pran seems to be falling, but I still have him as a day 1 impact player. He'll am upgrade over Biadasz as soon as he walks in the building

rambo2

Reaction score
Rice will rise up draft boards. He showed out at the senior bowl. As long as he doesn't bomb the combine and interviews, I could see him at 56. He definitely won't last until pick 99. Give the media and scouts a few weeks to adjust their top 50's.
I see the same. I think Rice would be a great pick at 56.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I think a lot of it depends on how he tests…hey I could be wrong!

rambo2

Reaction score
I think a lot of it depends on how he tests…hey I could be wrong!
He supposed to be 6-3 205 pounds. Should run a fast 40. One thing you can see on film is that he gets separation. He certainly would be an upgrade over Gallup and gives them a tall receiver that can run a complete route tree.

cnuball21

Reaction score
He supposed to be 6-3 205 pounds. Should run a fast 40. One thing you can see on film is that he gets separation. He certainly would be an upgrade over Gallup and gives them a tall receiver that can run a complete route tree.
We’ll see…

Also pretty concerning he’s never eclipsed 800 yards in a season. 2nd is too rich for me.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
We’ll see…

Also pretty concerning he’s never eclipsed 800 yards in a season. 2nd is too rich for me.
His first two years were at Colorado and they were awful. Their QB play was even worse.

His last 2 years at USC, Riley rotated a ton of WRs including future NFL players like Jordan Addison, Tahj Washington, Mario Williams, Zachariah Branch, Deuce Robinson, Michael Jackson, Dorian Singer, Kyron Hudson, Ja'Kobi Lane, and Kyle Ford.

cnuball21

Reaction score
His first two years were at Colorado and they were awful. Their QB play was even worse.

His last 2 years at USC, Riley rotated a ton of WRs including future NFL players like Jordan Addison, Tahj Washington, Mario Williams, Zachariah Branch, Deuce Robinson, Michael Jackson, Dorian Singer, Kyron Hudson, Ja'Kobi Lane, and Kyle Ford.
That’s fine…I’d just prefer a little
more clarity with such a premium pick instead of projection.