Pro Football Talk:YOUNG UNLIKELY TO LEAVE TEXAS

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
POSTED 9:35 p.m. EST, December 15, 2005

YOUNG UNLIKELY TO LEAVE TEXAS

There's a school of thought in league circles that Texas quarterback Vince Young will return for his senior season with the Longhorns, and not declare himself eligible for the 2006 draft.

Why? "Two words," one league insider told us. "Mack Brown."

Brown is regarded as a master at convincing collegiate players to stick around when the NFL is calling. Two years ago, for example, he persuaded running back Cedric Benson and linebacker Derrick Johnson to return for their senior seasons.

So despite the growing buzz that Young is eyeing a jump to the next level, many believe that unless Young has a monstrous performance in Pasadena, he'll be back.

And although we generally think that guys who are ready to get paid (legally) to play football should go for it, we also believe that a guy who with one more year might eventually be the No. 1 pick in the draft should consider waiting. Besides, Young wants the Heisman -- and he'd be the unquestioned front-runner for it in 2006.

But if Young rips it up in the Rose Bowl (and presumed No. 1 overall pick Reggie Bush stumbles) Young should consider carefully whether he might be the first man off of the board before re-committing to the Longhorns. We firmly believe that any eligible player who has put himself in position to be the first man off of the board should make the jump.

If there's any doubt in this regard, consider the example of USC quarterback Matt Leinart. He passed on being the No. 1 pick in 2005, and his decision to return contributed directly to teammate Bush's presumed elevation to the No. 1 spot in 2006.

So wait until after January 4, Vince, before making a final decision. If there's a chance that you'll be the first guy picked, now is the time to make the move.

jay cee

Reaction score
I don't see how he can be the 1st player drafted over Leinart and Bush. Even with a huge Rose Bowl, Young will still have to go through some drills at the combine or on campus at UT before the draft.

IMO, that's when his poor mechanics would pull him back beneath Leinart and Bush, even if he was able to surpass them with another big game in the Rose Bowl.

Tio

Armchair QB
Reaction score
I want to see him drafted by the cowboys, I just think the mobility advantage opens up a whole new style of play for your offense. I also think he has become an nfl caliber passer, and is better than vick already in that respect. Of course he doesn't look like a bp pick at all save his toughness

However, the Texas fan in me wants him to stay...