Project our 2011 "Backup" OL

AMERICAS_FAN

Reaction score
Why stop at a thread asking to project the starting 5 OL?

In past years, we were basically ok with the starting 5; the real problem was that we had shaky depth.

With a much less expereinced OL starting the games now (of which I like the youth movement, don't get me wrong), I'm now more than ever uneasy about the donkeys (can't call them horses) behind them.

If there was ever a year where we cannot afford OL injuries to the starting 5, 2011 is the year.

So who backs up our ponies?

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
I suspect the Cowboys might try to grab a tackle off the wire to be a backup. I would'nt put Young in a real game and Parnell just isn't there yet. He is one of my pet cats, but he isn't ready either.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
AMERICAS_FAN;4073877 said:
Why stop at a thread asking to project the starting 5 OL?

In past years, we were basically ok with the starting 5; the real problem was that we had shaky depth.

With a much less expereinced OL starting the games now (of which I like the youth movement, don't get me wrong), I'm now more than ever uneasy about the donkeys (can't call them horses) behind them.

If there was ever a year where we cannot afford OL injuries to the starting 5, 2011 is the year.

So who backs up our ponies?

True. Right now you have 3 guys who can play Center with Costa, Nagy and Kowalski so that gives them some play at center should we be forced to alter the lineup due to injury

Arkin, Parnell,Young and Holland but I would not be surprised to see Dallas look to the Waiver wire to add more to the line

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The backups now are the starters, so "second verse, same as the first!"

Doomsday101

Reaction score
stasheroo;4073928 said:
The backups now are the starters, so "second verse, same as the first!"

Only backup who is now starting would be Costa.

Then again did last year line play well? did last year line keep Romo healthy or Kitna? Clearly this is a gutsy move but thus far these young guys have played better than what was coming from last years unit. I hope we can add some depth via the waiver wire

CowboyMort

Reaction score
nyc;4073917 said:
I suspect the Cowboys might try to grab a tackle off the wire to be a backup. I would'nt put Young in a real game and Parnell just isn't there yet. He is one of my pet cats, but he isn't ready either.

100% agree. I don't think we should trust Parnell just yet. It is the Torrin Tucker syndrome.

boysfanindc

Reaction score
I agree, I think we need to bring in a Vet swing tackle, I think it would get pretty scary if Free or Smith go down.

Less concerned at C & G.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Doomsday101;4073937 said:
Only backup who is now starting would be Costa.

You're right. Now the guys who would have been backups are starters.

Then again did last year line play well? did last year line keep Romo healthy or Kitna?

Revisionist history. Romo got hurt when the rookie fullback Gronkoswki missed his block. You know that and I know that. Trying to blame it on the line is beyond weak.

Clearly this is a gutsy move but thus far these young guys have played better than what was coming from last years unit. I hope we can add some depth via the waiver wire

They've played better than expected - in the preseason, which for those with selective judgement 'means nothing' - but apparently only when it doesn't suit their beliefs.

As to whether it's 'better than what was coming from last years unit', it's a bit too early to be making that statement.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
stasheroo;4073954 said:
You're right. Now the guys who would have been backups are starters.

Revisionist history. Romo got hurt when the rookie fullback Gronkoswki missed his block. You know that and I know that. Trying to blame it on the line is beyond weak.

They've played better than expected - in the preseason, which for those with selective judgement 'means nothing' - but apparently only when it doesn't suit their beliefs.

As to whether it's 'better than what was coming from last years unit', it's a bit too early to be making that statement.

Romo getting hurt yes that was Gronkowski missing the pickup but does not change the fact that Colombo and Davis were getting their butts handed to them and they were not getting better ad to that Barron starting you damn right I will claim these young guys as better than what we saw last season.

I agree this is pre season and it gets harder as teams will challenge them with more blitzes so I don't think this is a walk in the park by any means they will make mistakes but I'm not going to sit here and claim these guys can't handle it.

They have played well to this stage and I fully expect them to continue to improve.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Doomsday101;4074007 said:
Romo getting hurt yes that was Gronkowski missing the pickup but does not change the fact that Colombo and Davis were getting their butts handed to them and they were not getting better ad to that Barron starting you damn right I will claim these young guys as better than what we saw last season.

You do that, based on a couple of preseason games. But don't try to insinuate the previous line was responsible for Romo's injury. That's just a lie.

I agree this is pre season and it gets harder as teams will challenge them with more blitzes so I don't think this is a walk in the park by any means they will make mistakes but I'm not going to sit here and claim these guys can't handle it.

No, you'd prefer to anoint them as 'better' than Pro Bowl players.

They have played well to this stage and I fully expect them to continue to improve.

Hope springs eternal...

Doomsday101

Reaction score
stasheroo;4074030 said:
You do that, based on a couple of preseason games. But don't try to insinuate the previous line was responsible for Romo's injury. That's just a lie.

No, you'd prefer to anoint them as 'better' than Pro Bowl players.

Hope springs eternal...

Does not change the fact of the pressure Romo was getting or Kitna with an aging line who was not going to get better. As for Pro Bowl players? Many make the Pro Bowl who have no business being in the pro bowl. There are pro bowl quality players out there but our line was not playing close to that level and only getting worse. I hate to see Gurode leave and while money I think played a part the other part was they liked what they were seeing in Costa.

I find it funny all this crying about the OL and how we needed to make changes and as soon as moves are made to change it the same crying people are now crying that it is too soon. Well I guess you can't please everyone.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Doomsday101;4074057 said:
Does not change the fact of the pressure Romo was getting or Kitna with an aging line who was not going to get better.

The 'fact' it does change is your misrepresentation of them.

As for Pro Bowl players? Many make the Pro Bowl who have no business being in the pro bowl. There are pro bowl quality players out there but our line was not playing close to that level and only getting worse. I hate to see Gurode leave and while money I think played a part the other part was they liked what they were seeing in Costa.

I agree with you here. My concern is about the sheer number of changes they're trying to make in one abbreviated offseason.

I find it funny all this crying about the OL and how we needed to make changes and as soon as moves are made to change it the same crying people are now crying that it is too soon. Well I guess you can't please everyone.

And the same 'crying' goes on whenever anyone is so mean as to question any moves the team makes.

The arch-defenders come out 'crying' about that too.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
stasheroo;4074081 said:
The 'fact' it does change is your misrepresentation of them.

I agree with you here. My concern is about the sheer number of changes they're trying to make in one abbreviated offseason.

And the same 'crying' goes on whenever anyone is so mean as to question any moves the team makes.

The arch-defenders come out 'crying' about that too.

You right they played fricken great why did we let Colombo and Davis go?

Yes there are a number of changes taking place and thus far they have been able to hold their own.

Your right defenders of the team will try to point out that it is not as bad as some want to claim it to be. I don't expect to see Pro bowl quality play from these young guys I fully expect they will make mistakes I just feel they are also talented enough and willing to do what they have to do to become better players and will improve as players. If I'm wrong I'll willing to be wrong on the side of the players over that of whiners who see nothing good