Properly Using the Quote Function on The Zone

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
One of the trickiest things for some posters to do seems to be to properly split a long post so you can respond to various parts of it. Hopefully this thread will help.

The code here is called vBulletin. It is a really simple code. All I want you to do is replace the { } that I use in this example with [ ]. I can't use those to show you because it will automatically translate it into the vBulletin code.

If you hit the Quote button at the bottom of any post you will see a very easy tip on how to do this. Simply notice the very first part of the post and the very last part. You will notice the word "quote" in both code places inside the [ ]. The first one will also have an = sign and the username of the poster you are quoting. The last one at the very end of the quoted post will have a / before the word "quote."

To chop the entire long post into sections for you to quote all you have to do is repeat that order. In other words, open the quote and then close it in each section.

To open or begin a quoted section all it has to have is this...

{quote}

Remember, when you do it, replace the { } I show there with the [ ].

This will begin the quoted section that you wish to respond to.

Then you need to end that section with this...

{/quote}

The / mark tells the vBulletin to end the quote. Once you do this you respond to that section.

Do the same thing for each section that you wish to quote. Open it and then close it. If you want the users name to be shown simply add it like this...

{quote=whomever}

You don't need to do that at the beginning of the post because the system already knows who you are quoting and places it in the first open quote at the beginning. Only do it if you want to show that it is still the same poster. That is up to you.

A good way to practice this would be to quote this post and see if you can make it work in this thread. Keep editing it and hitting submit until you get it. If you make it work it should look like the next post in this thread.

Good luck.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Hostile;2926395 said:
One of the trickiest things for some posters to do seems to be to properly split a long post so you can respond to various parts of it. Hopefully this thread will help.
Yep, so tricky.

Hostile said:
The code here is called vBulletin. It is a really simple code. All I want you to do is replace the { } that I use in this example with [ ]. I can't use those to show you because it will automatically translate it into the vBulletin code.
Replace the { } with [ ], got it.

Hostile said:
If you hit the Quote button at the bottom of any post you will see a very easy tip on how to do this. Simply notice the very first part of the post and the very last part. You will notice the word "quote" in both code places inside the [ ]. The first one will also have an = sign and the username of the poster you are quoting. The last one at the very end of the quoted post will have a / before the word "quote."
You shouldn't hit anyone, oh you mean hitting a button to engage.

Hostile said:
To chop the entire long post into sections for you to quote all you have to do is repeat that order. In other words, open the quote and then close it in each section.
Sort of like putting the toilet seat down. Just have to remember to do it.

Hostile said:

{quote}

It seems simple because it is.

Hostile said:

{/quote}

The / mark tells the vBulletin to end the quote. Once you do this you respond to that section.
The end is near.

Hostile said:
Do the same thing for each section that you wish to quote. Open it and then close it. If you want the users name to be shown simply add it like this...

{quote=whomever}
By now you should be having some success with this.

Hostile said:
You don't need to do that at the beginning of the post because the system already knows who you are quoting and places it in the first open quote at the beginning. Only do it if you want to show that it is still the same poster. That is up to you.
Makes sense. Don't add anything, just end it where you want to chop it.

Hostile said:
A good way to practice this would be to quote this post and see if you can make it work in this thread. Keep editing it and hitting submit until you get it. If you make it work it should look like the next post in this thread.

Good luck.
I feel lucky.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
silverbear;2930448 said:
You do know you're talking to yourself, don't you?? :D
Yes, but this thread was by request. Besides I am stimulating conversation for myself. I had no idea how screwed up I really was until I started talking to myself.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
Hostile;2931588 said:
Yes, but this thread was by request. Besides I am stimulating conversation for myself. I had no idea how screwed up I really was until I started talking to myself.

I can relate, in order to get a really intelligent dialogue going, I find I often have to engage myself in debate...

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile;2926395One of the trickiest things for some posters to do seems to be to properly split a long post so you can respond to various parts of it. Hopefully this thread will help. [B said:
DUH THANKS[/b]

If you hit the Quote button at the bottom of any post you will see a very easy tip on how to do this.
Shaka Khan said:
Simply notice the very first part of the post and the very last part. You will notice the word "quote" in both code places inside the [ ]. The first one will also have an = sign and the username of the poster you are quoting. The last one at the very end of the quoted post will have a / before the word "quote."

Hostile said:

{quote}

{/quote}

{quote=whomever}

Good luck.

DUH DID I DO IT RITE?

Hoofbite

Reaction score
There's a couple of posters who will benefit greatly from this thread.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
Hostile;2926395 said:

First, like I said, I did not use the copy and paste the last 4 days or so. I used the quote button and the []. You said i used copy and paste, wrong. I did not, I used the quote button. Next, there are no where {} brackets. All that is showing up after i hit the quote button was the [] inside your quote but no {} buttons. This is what is being shown on my computer when i hit the quote button
Hostile;2926395 said:
What i was doing was using the first [ bracket by your name, then closing each section that i wanted to use with a ]. All i see when i slide my mouse over the buttons at the bottom is reply with quote and multi quote.

On people complaining, some zoners were telling me to stop quoting or use the quote button. In fact one told me that I had done it, and to show dbair how to use the quote button. So, as far as i knew, i was doing the quote right.

{/quote}

{quote=Hostile}

Good luck.
When i try to use the quote with name like you suggest, says message to short, etc. The only way i can send a message after i use the quote is to back out your name, then the function works. So, how can i use the quote function when it wont let me due to saying message too short.

poke

the older I get the better I was
Reaction score
Hostile;2926395 said:

okay lemme try

Hostile;2926395 said:

still unsure if i am making this happen

Hostile;2926395 said:

i am quickly tiring of this exercise

Hostile;2926395 said:

i am guessing the large number after the beginning quote instruction is a post # ?

Hostile said:

{quote}

{/quote}

i guess i will find out if it is needed because for that last section i didnt include the number in the first code

{quote=whomever}

here i have removed Hostiles name from the quote function to test his instructions

Anybody i type in here ? said:

Good luck.

substituted anybody just to see if i could.

now i remember why i dropped out of 2 higher institutions of learning, one of them twice. Thanks Hostile, aparently you can teach an old dog new tricks even when they dont really wanna learn them.

i will probably never respond to a post in this fashion but it is nice to know how.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
cowboyjoe said:
When i try to use the quote with name like you suggest, says message to short, etc. The only way i can send a message after i use the quote is to back out your name, then the function works. So, how can i use the quote function when it wont let me due to saying message too short.

that's because you have to actually enter a message after you set your quote boxes

and it has to be at least 5 characters

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2943107 said:
that's because you have to actually enter a message after you set your quote boxes

and it has to be at least 5 characters

I'm just imagining him quoting people and trying to leave it blank....

Even if you could, what would be trying to say?