Punting Issues... We Need to get Better FAST!

Reaction score
Look, I can't really get on this kid...LORD KNOWS READ CAN'T CAOCH HIM UP...but we need someone who can generate hang time and not panic on bad snaps when he is not getting pressured.

The average may be okay, but the net can't be good, and there are way to many times we need him to shift the filed and he can't...

THIS WILL COST US against better teams. Forget people who kick in light air in Denver...is there not any one else out there?

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
Quarterback Coach;2443355 said:
Look, I can't really get on this kid...LORD KNOWS READ CAN'T CAOCH HIM UP...but we need someone who can generate hang time and not panic on bad snaps when he is not getting pressured.

The average may be okay, but the net can't be good, and there are way to many times we need him to shift the filed and he can't...

THIS WILL COST US against better teams. Forget people who kick in light air in Denver...is there not any one else out there?

Agreed. The only time he seems to get off a 50+ yard punt is when we're 49 yds or less from the opponent's end zone. He's a touchback machine. Edit: He did have the 70 yarder last week, but that was more the result of a lucky bounce and roll than a well-placed, well- executed punt.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
Quarterback Coach;2443355 said:

Just call the following number:

1-800-NEED-A-PUNTER

Reaction score
LandryFan;2443392 said:
Agreed. The only time he seems to get off a 50+ yard punt is when we're 49 yds or less from the opponent's end zone. He's a touchback machine. Edit: He did have the 70 yarder last week, but that was more the result of a lucky bounce and roll than a well-placed, well- executed punt.

I think it had to do with the fact that the PR turned his ankle and crumpled to the turf as well...

LandryFan

Reaction score
Quarterback Coach;2443427 said:
I think it had to do with the fact that the PR turned his ankle and crumpled to the turf as well...

Now that you mention it, that did also play a big role in the 70 yarder. I had forgotten about that.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If the Cowboys had been proactive, they could have signed Mitch Berger to replace Paulsecu and Brad Johnson holding for field goals as well.

But instead, they sat on their hands while the Steelers re-signed him.

Reaction score
stasheroo;2443446 said:
If the Cowboys had been proactive, they could have signed Mitch Berger to replace Paulsecu and Brad Johnson holding for field goals as well.

Of course God forbid Bruce Read get off his *** and do something like coach the kickers...or prep the team for an onsides kick once in a while too.

:bang2:

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Why on earth is there a thread about the punter?

Can we move this to the "Who gives a flying **** zone"?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
theogt;2443457 said:

Why should this team not look to improve in any area possible?

LandryFan

Reaction score
theogt;2443457 said:

Tell me this team doesn't miss Mat McBriar and the change in field position he often achieved. He was a very underappreciated weapon for this team.
Other than that, if you don't give a flying ****, then why read/respond to the thread?

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
LandryFan;2443476 said:
Tell me this team doesn't miss Mat McBriar and the change in field position he often achieved. He was a very underappreciated weapon for this team.
Other than that, if you don't give a flying ****, then why read/respond to the thread?
Oh, by all means, let's bring McBriar back.......oh wait.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Wasn't Mitch Berger hurt until just this week? I thought that was why the Steelers let him go in the first place was because he was hurt.

Reaction score
We can thank the special teams blocking or lack there of for losing one of the best punters in the NFL...

:bang2:

Route 66

Reaction score
ScipioCowboy;2443395 said:
Just call the following number:

1-800-NEED-A-PUNTER

I think that's wrong. It takes me to "Save the Spotted Llamas" donation hotline.:confused:

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
stasheroo;2443446 said:

Berger actually has a lower average punt than Paulescu.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
theogt;2443560 said:
Berger actually has a lower average punt than Paulescu.

In his defense, Berger was hurt.

And he also didn't have punt returners getting injured while the kick was in the air helping to boost his averages.

To say nothing of being able to hold for field goals rendering Brad Johnson null and void once and for all.

That service? Priceless.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Sorry I don't see Paulescu cost Dallas any games, he is not McBriar and not here to replace McBriar he is a fill in who is doing an avg job which is about all you will get from any punter you pick up off the streets at this stage of the season. Out of 26 punts he has 5 inside the 20 and avgs 42 yards a punt. Nothing staggering just avg.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
stasheroo;2443947 said:
In his defense, Berger was hurt.

And he also didn't have punt returners getting injured while the kick was in the air helping to boost his averages.

To say nothing of being able to hold for field goals rendering Brad Johnson null and void once and for all.

That service? Priceless.
So you wanted to bring in a punter that couldn't punt at all because he was injured?

Also, if you take out the 70 yard punt by Paulescu, they're virtually tied (41.9 vs. 41.3).