QB change for Oklahoma !

TxStar61

Reaction score
Oklahoma goes with Bomar at QB

By JEFF LATZKE, AP Sports Writer

September 5, 2005 NORMAN, Okla. (AP) -- After being upset in its opener, Oklahoma is making a switch at quarterback.

Redshirt freshman Rhett Bomar will replace Paul Thompson as the Sooners' starting quarterback for Saturday's game against Tulsa and get his opportunity to be the one to replace 2003 Heisman Trophy winner Jason White.

``We're going to give Rhett Bomar an opportunity to start and see where he takes us,'' coach Bob Stoops said Monday.

Bomar played in four series in the No. 7 Sooners' 17-10 loss to TCU on Saturday and completed 2 of 5 passes for 19 yards. On his first play after substituting for Thompson late in the second quarter, Bomar faked a handoff to tailback Adrian Peterson and rushed 28 yards down the right sideline, bullying a defender along the way.

But he also was responsible for a turnover that led to TCU's winning score.

Stoops said coaches believe Bomar didn't have a chance to do much.

``He only threw five balls. He didn't have nearly the number of snaps and preparation coming into the game ... He's had the fewest number of snaps overall when you look at his amount of time here and he's been that close all along that we feel maybe giving him more opportunities, more snaps, maybe he'll do more with it. We'll see,'' Stoops said.

The 20-year-old from the Dallas area lost a close competition to Thompson to become the Sooners' starter, but coaches announced beforehand that Bomar would play both early and late in the team's opener.

``I have a great opportunity to go out there and do some things to establish myself,'' Bomar said. ``I'm really excited. This is what I've been working for. It's what I've been trying to do all my life and now it's here.''

Bomar said he is confident that his performance is his next chance to lead the team's offense will be different than the first.

``I want to play, I want to keep playing. That was my No. 1 goal coming in here. I'm going to go out Saturday and prove I can be the guy.''

Regarded as the team's quarterback of the future, Bomar came to Oklahoma last season from Grand Prairie High School. He had thrown for 6,097 yards and 58 touchdowns in his career there and was regarded by many as the nation's No. 2 recruit behind Peterson.

He was beaten out by Thompson, regarded as a more consistent quarterback who made fewer mistakes. In three fall scrimmages, Thompson had a better completion percentage, more passing yards and had no interceptions, while Bomar threw five.

Thompson, a 21-year-old junior, was also the more experienced of the two quarterbacks. He had played in 14 career games in relief of White in 2003 and Nate Hybl in 2002. He then redshirted last season.

In his first career start, Thompson struggled to sustain a drive and Oklahoma trailed 10-0 when Bomar entered with 4:10 remaining in the second quarter.

``By no means am I sitting here saying Paul Thompson is responsible for the way we played as a team Saturday. We had a lot of guys -- mostly older guys -- who really played as poor as I've seen them play,'' Stoops said.

``We feel that Rhett deserves an opportunity to have the opportunities that Paul had and see what he can do. ... That's the direction we're going to go and work from there.''

Updated on Monday, Sep 5, 2005 8:45 pm EDT

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
Needed to be done.

Hopefully the team can rally and improve all-around... not just at the QB position.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeagermeister said:
Both of them were terrible

How are you holding up losing your teams Starter so early?

I have to believe that with a full game plan in place and not scaled back your team would have won that opener.

Now that Freshman you guys brought in looks like he has a little something to him but starting thinking too much after the half and with the offense scaled back it hurt the team.

BTW...we are hurting as well (WVU) with rotating two QBs in the mix....but it was amazing to see us commit 5 turnovers (mostly running backs) and STILL win the game.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
OUch!!!! LOL Loved watching TCU of all teams beating the sooners and to top it off in OUch own backyard.