QB Toby Korrodi would make a great value pick to backup ROMO

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
David Flores: Former Harlandale QB has sights set on NFL

Web Posted: 01/25/2007 10:31 PM CST :star:

San Antonio Express-News

Toby Korrodi had aspirations of someday playing in the NBA, not the NFL, when he was a kid growing up on the South Side.
He started playing basketball when he was 7, but didn't consider going out for football at Leal Middle School until a friend told him the seventh-grade team needed a quarterback.

Ever the competitor, Korrodi decided to give the sport a try.

A little more than 10 years later, he's glad he did.

Korrodi, a 2002 Harlandale graduate, made the Express-News All-Greater San Antonio Class 5A first team as a quarterback his junior and senior seasons. A lefty, he set school records by passing for 6,539 yards and 77 touchdowns in 35 varsity starts.

While not fast, Korrodi demonstrated a knack for avoiding pressure with his instincts and deceptively quick feet.

Korrodi continued to flourish at the position at Division II Northern (S.D.) State and Central Missouri State, catching the eye of NFL scouts with his size, strong arm and accuracy.

David Flores
Got a question for David Flores? Use the form below and fire away!

That's why he has been invited to next month's NFL combine in Indianapolis. Korrodi received his invitation in the mail Dec. 26.

"It was a huge Christmas gift and I let out a huge sigh of relief," he said Thursday.

Even if he doesn't get drafted, chances are good Korrodi will be in an NFL training camp this summer.

"Toby has the physical tools to play at the next level," said Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Koy Detmer, who has worked with Korrodi since December. "He's got a good motion, he's very accurate and he has good feet for a guy that size."

Korrodi's challenge, Detmer said, will be adjusting to the mental challenges and speed of the pro game.

Korrodi, 6-foot-4, 235 pounds, completed 211 of 325 passes for 2,797 yards and 29 touchdowns at Central Missouri this past season. He finished with only five interceptions.

For a guy who had hoop dreams, Korrodi has done pretty well on the football field.

"To be honest, I never thought about playing football," he said. "I wanted to play in the NBA because I love basketball. I just played football for fun."

If things pan out for him at the combine, scheduled Feb. 21-27, Korrodi will get a chance to start playing for greenbacks this summer.

He has been working out twice a day, five days a week and sometimes on Saturdays, in San Antonio since November.

"Time went by so fast that it still feels like I just finished high school, but I know this is about getting to the highest level of football," Korrodi said while taking a break from a workout. "That's why I know I've got to work harder than I ever have."

Korrodi, 23, should have plenty of motivation to push himself.

He got married in December of his senior year at Harlandale and has three children, ages 5, 3 and 18 months, with his wife, Laura.

Korrodi and his family moved back to San Antonio after he completed his career at Central Missouri State, where he played for two years. He signed with Northern State out of high school, playing two seasons with the Wolves before transferring in 2005.

Korrodi, who redshirted as a freshman in 2002, said he decided to leave Northern State after head coach Ken Heupel resigned.

Working closely with personal trainer Bay-Bay McClinton and Detmer, who lives in San Antonio, Korrodi has been diligent about taking care of business.

"He is working very hard and should do well at the combine," McClinton said. "I think he'll be one of the top five quarterbacks. He is very committed."

Korrodi said he lacks about two semesters to earn a bachelor's degree in criminal justice, and is committed to graduate even if he catches on with an NFL team.

"I'd like to coach in high school one of these days," he said.

But for now, he is focused on raising his stock at the NFL combine.

"I've talked with Toby and I'm pretty satisfied that he understands this is a great opportunity, one that not too many people get," Harlandale football coach Isaac Martinez said. "It may not happen for him, but he's going to work to give it his best shot."

Korrodi's history says he'll make the most of his opportunity.