Question about being franchised

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
I fail to understand why players hate being franchised. They get paid an average of the top five players at their position and it's only a one year contract. They get paid big bucks and get a new contract the next year. What am I missing?

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
Because alot of players want that kind of money over a long stretch.
If they prove they are worth a long term deal they will get one and in the meantime they are making big money.

EveryoneElse

Reaction score
Yeagermeister said:
If they prove they are worth a long term deal they will get one and in the meantime they are making big money.

I think the biggest part is they just want that long term commitment and stability that top players are enjoying around the league at their position instead of not knowing where they stand as far as 1 or 4 years down the road. Every player is a play away from a career ending injury and their just looking out for themselve's.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
EveryoneElse said:
I think the biggest part is they just want that long term commitment and stability that top players are enjoying around the league at their position instead of not knowing where they stand as far as 1 or 4 years down the road. Every player is a play away from a career ending injury and their just looking out for themselve's.
Then they sign the long term deals and pull a TO

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Yeagermeister said:

But what if they get hurt their franchise year? They want long term guranteed money.

JGalt

Reaction score
Yep. The big issue is security from injury. Get the big signing bonus in the bank. They can't take that back because you got hurt. That's why it was such a ruckus when Rivera allegedly offered to give his back.

Rick_Deckard

luvtheboys
Reaction score
The franchise tag does not come with a big signing bonus (guaranteed up front money) like a new contract.