Question about Home theaters...

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So I just installed mine, but I'm still trying to figure out how things work. It's a Panasonic five disc home theater. We've played a couple DVDs and they've worked. My question is related to having audio come from the TV. Right now it's not. Everything is hooked up correctly, so am I missing a programming component? Like which remote is supposed to operate the audio while the DVD is playing. And how do I get the TV to operate the surround sound, so we can get that home theater feel.

The little taste of its performance is great, tho. Woohoo. Can't wait til some real football comes on.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Unless something is wrong, it should work. Make sure that the audio from the DVD player is hooked up to the same antenna that you watch the visual on. For instance, if you have the video in going into "DVD" antenna, make sure that is where 'audio in" is.

Let me know if you want me to come over and help - i'll be there in a jiffy.

:D

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
jterrell said:
Are you using Satellite or Cable?
The boxes for each should have audio outs you'll want to hook up to the Receiver inputs on the home audio system.

try this diagram:
http://www.monstercable.com/hookup_learning/csg/htib/HTIB.asp

note to self:
never post right after a workout again. i think i fat fingered every word, lol.
I've got DTV. And my friend who's a programmer hooked it up. I was taking to long by trying to read the various manuals first. :)

Here's a list of my equipment.

TV - Toshiba 65"
HD Sat receiver
Panasonic 5-disc

According to my friend, everything is hooked up properly, but I'm not getting any surround sound thru the TV.

I'll check out that site JT and get back to you. I'll have to do it when she's not here, cuz she'll take over and I'll end up just be sitting back reading the manual, while she fiddles with the connections...

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Crown Royal said:
Unless something is wrong, it should work. Make sure that the audio from the DVD player is hooked up to the same antenna that you watch the visual on. For instance, if you have the video in going into "DVD" antenna, make sure that is where 'audio in" is.

Let me know if you want me to come over and help - i'll be there in a jiffy.

:D
Everything seems to be connected properly, even the audio, but I'm not sure how it's working since my friend connected and made me feel like I was Gomer Pyle.

Oh and Crown, thanks for the offer, but I think we'll figure it out... ;) :D

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
Check the menu settings and make sure your audio settings are correct. My 300 DVD changer has audio options for PCM, DTS, Dolby....etc, just make sure the output settings on your gear is correct.

BTW, TV audio sux! Go pick up a cheap AV receiver that has built in audio/video switching.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Dang, Woody's Girl. Don't remind me how confusing this stuff really is.

I just finished hooking up both my upstairs and downstairs television sets to home theater systems.

For the downstairs one, I have a separate DVD player and a separate VCR hooked up to the television set, which receives cable. The DVD player is louder when on surround sound because it has a direct plug in. But because I'm running the VCR through the television, I use the auxillary mode for it. I can get sound, but I have to turn up the television control volume for maximum results with my surround sound system.

For my upstairs unit, since I have a combination DVD/VCR, I have to run both through the same input, which I think is the DVD input. The interesting thing with that is that when I turn my home theater system on and turn off the television, I can still hear the television audio, though I can't see a picture.

I know this is really confusing. It was confusing to me when I installed it. But if you follow the directions, you're should be pretty straight. Of course, if you let someone else do it .... ;)

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
WoodysGirl said:
So I just installed mine, but I'm still trying to figure out how things work. It's a Panasonic five disc home theater. We've played a couple DVDs and they've worked. My question is related to having audio come from the TV. Right now it's not. Everything is hooked up correctly, so am I missing a programming component? Like which remote is supposed to operate the audio while the DVD is playing. And how do I get the TV to operate the surround sound, so we can get that home theater feel.

The little taste of its performance is great, tho. Woohoo. Can't wait til some real football comes on.

Wow... a new Home Theatre... I see you are putting that substantial mod salary to work in a hurry!

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
For me to play DVDs (home theater dvd system) I just turn the TV audio down all the way anyways as with the home theater sound it is plenty, plus with both the home theater sound coming through the speakers and if I leave the audio on from the TV it sounds akward....not quite an echo but just akward.

So when I watch a DVD now I just turn the TV audio all the way down and play it through the home theater system.

Now if you are having problems hearing the TV period (while not watching DVDs) then I suggest hooking the audio directly into your Stereo aux settings (if you have the stereo) and playing it through the stereo speakers....really can get wicked if you want it that way.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
BrAinPaiNt said:
For me to play DVDs (home theater dvd system) I just turn the TV audio down all the way anyways as with the home theater sound it is plenty, plus with both the home theater sound coming through the speakers and if I leave the audio on from the TV it sounds akward....not quite an echo but just akward.

So when I watch a DVD now I just turn the TV audio all the way down and play it through the home theater system.

Now if you are having problems hearing the TV period (while not watching DVDs) then I suggest hooking the audio directly into your Stereo aux settings (if you have the stereo) and playing it through the stereo speakers....really can get wicked if you want it that way.
Brain, the audio on the TV seems to be turned down automatically, right now. Cuz when we go back to running the Sat, we've got to bump the vol... I think

I luv the home theater sound. No problems there. The phone was ringing on the TV and I jumped up to go answer mine... LOL Seriously, all the components seem to be working fine. I just thought the TV audio was supposed to be up also. And we haven't been able to program either of the remotes into making a smooth transistion between the equipment.

I'm missing the owner's manual to the Sat receiver and I'm also missing the TV remote. My friends 17-month old baby got ahold of it and now we can't find it. She has a thing for remotes.

But for the most part, things are working fine. Thanks for all the advice guys. Knew I could count on you all.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
trickblue said:
Wow... a new Home Theatre... I see you are putting that substantial mod salary to work in a hurry!
Exactly. I'm doing my best to fit in so I don't have to suffer much rookie hazing... :p:

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
WG:
You can set your tv to eb the center channel on many systems but the speakers are usually cheap on tv's so thats not adviseable if you have a center channel speaker.

You may need to plus an output on the sat box to the tv. If you have a 65' Toshiba you very likely have an optical output and input. Use thos eif at all possible. They are audiophile quality.

I have a 7-1 Yahama Receiver and plug literally everything through it. My TV sound is always on 0.

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
jterrell said:
WG:
You can set your tv to eb the center channel on many systems but the speakers are usually cheap on tv's so thats not adviseable if you have a center channel speaker.

You may need to plus an output on the sat box to the tv. If you have a 65' Toshiba you very likely have an optical output and input. Use thos eif at all possible. They are audiophile quality.

I have a 7-1 Yahama Receiver and plug literally everything through it. My TV sound is always on 0.
2095 Yamaha? If so, I have the same model.

WG, glad you are up and operational. :)