Question about moving to Texas

Emiliano

Reaction score
I'm moving to the Dallas/Fort Worth area in the summer. Is there any parts of the area that I should stay away from when house hunting. Thanks

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
Emiliano said:
I'm moving to the Dallas/Fort Worth area in the summer. Is there any parts of the area that I should stay away from when house hunting. Thanks

Yes...steer clear of anywhere that's within several hundred miles of trickblue..

:)

Welcome aboard...

I'm sure you'll get MUCH helpful advice...

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Emiliano said:
I no longer live up there, but for more accurate info, can you be a touch more specific? As the DFW Metroplex is pretty big and consists of many small towns; so it just depends on which one.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Can you be more specific of what area of DFW?

I lived there for 7 years and could help ya out some...

Oh... and don't listen to Juke... he is a Canadian... what does HE know anyway... :rolleyes:

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Depending on who you are, you either want to avoid or go straight to Oaklawn.:eek:

Emiliano

Reaction score
I've visited the area twice and know going because of work. I just want to know any bad areas it doesn't matter where. I just don't want to by in a high crime area.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Emiliano said:
I've visited the area twice and know going because of work. I just want to know any bad areas it doesn't matter where. I just don't want to by in a high crime area.
trick and I mean specific by like what city. The city of Fort Worth, or the city of Dallas, Plano, Garland, Denton, Mesquite, etc. I mean no one can say yea or nay specifically until you say this is prolly where I'm gonna be living. The cities that make up the DFW Metroplex combined is about the size of one of the larger cities in the nation.

I grew up there and yeah there are some crime-ridden areas, but there are also areas that are mis-identified as crime-ridden just because of the large amount of minorities who live there. So, unless you say I'll be living in N. Dallas or something to that effect, it'll be hard IMO to be overly helpful.

CowboyPrincess

Priceless
Reaction score
trickblue said:
Can you be more specific of what area of DFW?

I lived there for 7 years and could help ya out some...

Oh... and don't listen to Juke... he is a Canadian... what does HE know anyway... :rolleyes:

only in this case, Juke was right on the money... :p:

Emiliano

Reaction score
I guess I mean the area between Farmers Branch and University of Dallas. I hope that narrows it down.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Juke99 said:
Yes...steer clear of anywhere that's within several hundred miles of trickblue..

:)

Welcome aboard...

I'm sure you'll get MUCH helpful advice...

Silly Canadians.... :rolleyes:

David Star

Star of David
Reaction score
Emiliano said:
Dallas has one of the highest crimes rates in the US. Murder Theft and Rape is a daily thing for us.

Over the years there were alot of upper scale housing developments that were built up to serve and support above average income people that worked in the tech industry here.

After 911 when the bottom dropped out of the tech industry there was alot of real estate property owners that in order to keep from going bankrupt began to accept section 8 housing or government housing vouchers.

So what this means is that a lower strata of life that would normally be confined to low income areas i.e. drug dealers and criminals and those who have no education, are now living amoung the well to do using government subsidies.

No matter where you go in Dallas you find this oddity of the fatherless unculture portion of society blended in with those who are educated and well off.

It's strange to see gangsta high school drop outs living next door to college educated people but this is not uncommon in any area of Dallas.

I have lived in Dallas for over 30 years and it very strange to see how its evolved.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I'd advise looking at the northern and northwestern subarbs.

The very best sections are arguably Frisco, Flower Mound, Coppell, Southlake, Keller, Trophy Club, North Richland Hills.

I have also been a resident for over 30 years and unlike the guy above dont find it suprising at all. Its the pattern all major cities seem to follow including the urban renewal. Dallas has a crap mayor and losing the Cowboys stadium set back that urban revitilization 10 years at least. Most other cities: Memphis, Detroit, Cleveland, Chicago et al used the stadiums as hubs for renewal of bad areas.

Give us an idea on prices and job location etc.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Emiliano said:
I guess I mean the area between Farmers Branch and University of Dallas. I hope that narrows it down.

Look just north of there then in Plano and Carrollton, Frisco, Plano. Frisco being the nicest of those.

My Aunt is a real estate agent locally if need help house hunting and she specializes in Frisco. I live in The Colony which is right next to Frisco but is very small. Crime rate is very low. 2 murders in The Colony in 10 years. Very low overall crime rate. Its on Lake Lewisville. Stewart Peninsula is very, very nice. Houses are about 200-275k. Traffic sucks at 6-8a and p.

Emiliano

Reaction score
How far out in terms of miles and time is Frisco, Plano, Carrollton away from the 635

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Emiliano said:
How far out in terms of miles and time is Frisco, Plano, Carrollton away from the 635

Carrollton is pretty close to 635. As far as Frisco or Plano, it would behoove you to get a toll tag.