Question for 'Draftniks' on trading up...

newlander

Reaction score
I know we have (1) 2nd rounder @ 51, (1) 3rd rounder @ 69 (2) 4th rounders @ 97 &113 and then 5 more picks in the 5th-7th rounds. Would it be smart or justifiable to trade some of those 5th,6th and/or 7th rounders to get back in the 3rd or 4th round? Is that even possible with the "point system" the NFL uses that Mayock always talks about? Yeah, I know Terrel Davis and Tom Brady were 6th rounders....but up until last season when we struck gold with Scandrick in the 5th, we really haven't done too well in the middle rounds. Then again....Larry Brown was a 12th rounder....so we could stay put but you just KNOW JJ can't resist some wheelin' and dealin'.......for better or worse:laugh2: I'm a novice at this stuff, what say you?

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
It's possible, but you really don't see trades for five or six low round picks for one in the third round. It works out to do that on the vaunted draft value charts, but it's also putting all of your eggs in one basket for a player in the third that isn't a slam dunk.

Most teams aren't simply one or two players away from competing; with 53 spots, you have to keep things fresh and fluid.

I could see Dallas packaging their two 4's and moving into the 3rd if someone they really, really like is there and won't be there when they pick, but that's the extent of it. Those late rounders in 6th/7th can really pay off for a low price and be contributors (Deon Anderson, Jay Ratliff, Patrick Crayton).

And this is just chance, of course, but our third rounders the last few years have been dreadful. Check out this list of who we've drafted since the turn of the millenium:

Willie Blade
Derek Ross
Jason Witten
Stephen Peterman
Jason Hatcher
James Marten

Blade never materialized, Ross flashed for one year, Witten is, well, Witten, Peterman stunk, Hatcher has been a rotational guy who needs to take the next step, and Marten's a chump.

We've done well in the 4th round where we've stockpiled picks. Check out this list:

Kareem Larrimore
Markus Steele
Jamar Martin
Bradie James
Bruce Thornton
Marion Barber
Chris Canty
Skyler Green
Isaiah Stanback
Doug Free
Tashard Choice

Almost every guy on this list was productive at one time or saw action (sans Thornton and Free, but he's new at least. And yes, Green sucked.)

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
You can trade up with those lower picks but you have to keep in mind that after the first two rounds, pick value drops significantly.

You can probably bet your house Jerry will be on the phone a lot come draft day.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I suspect you'll see dallas 6th and 7th to teams to move a few spots up in various rounds.

Something like say 51 plus a 6th and 7th for 48th.

It may allow Dallas to leap frog someone in the same defensive scheme for example.

These deals may look to benefit the other team but are the kind they can easily make with all the additional late round picks.

newlander

Reaction score
That's a good point jterrell. You get a team like Detroit, Seattle, or Cleveland that needs quantity as well as quality: yeah, I can see them moving down a few spots and picking up a 6th and 7th for the trouble. MIGHT be the difference in us getting Chung or Nicks.

SLATEmosphere

Benched
Reaction score
I'd like to see us either

A) Trade up and get 2 2nd rounders..depending on who is tumbling
B) Trade up and get 2 3rd rounders

newlander

Reaction score
THAT was my original point SLATE: I realize there are Bradys, Ratliffs, Scandricks, etc. to be had in the late rounds...but you give yourself the best statistical chance of drafting a stud in the first 3 rounds IMO. I DO NOT have stats to back that up, just an educated guess after watching the NFL for 31 years.

SLATEmosphere

Benched
Reaction score
newlander;2681306 said:
THAT was my original point SLATE: I realize there are Bradys, Ratliffs, Scandricks, etc. to be had in the late rounds...but you give yourself the best statistical chance of drafting a stud in the first 3 rounds IMO. I DO NOT have stats to back that up, just an educated guess after watching the NFL for 31 years.

Ya well you look at the probability of finding those Ratliffs/Brady's/Scandricks and they are slim to none. The Cowboys seem to pick the 4th and 5th rounders pretty well, but those 6th and 7th rounders are terrible(minus Rat)

I'll take my chances with 2nd/3rd and 4th rounders..probability says you miss out on 7th round flyers anyway.

jday

Reaction score
newlander;2680777 said:
I know we have (1) 2nd rounder @ 51, (1) 3rd rounder @ 69 (2) 4th rounders @ 97 &113 and then 5 more picks in the 5th-7th rounds. Would it be smart or justifiable to trade some of those 5th,6th and/or 7th rounders to get back in the 3rd or 4th round? Is that even possible with the "point system" the NFL uses that Mayock always talks about? Yeah, I know Terrel Davis and Tom Brady were 6th rounders....but up until last season when we struck gold with Scandrick in the 5th, we really haven't done too well in the middle rounds. Then again....Larry Brown was a 12th rounder....so we could stay put but you just KNOW JJ can't resist some wheelin' and dealin'.......for better or worse:laugh2: I'm a novice at this stuff, what say you?
I, too, am not exactly sure how the point system works, but I think there is value to be had with the 11 picks throughout both days. With all the holes that have been created as a result of cap casualties and Spring Cleaning, the Cowboys will likely be looking to refresh the ranks with the draft. Those 11 picks could come in handy.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
The draft value chart is in need of an update really. You just don't see the big trades for high 1's anymore because of how outrageous the contracts are. There's a reason why every year, teams dangle the #1 pick out there for someone to grab and no one comes calling. Yes they desire more picks, but they also aren't locked into such a huge contract for an unproven talent.

Even though the draft value chart would tell me I'm getting ripped off, I'd much rather have the #10 (1,300 pts), #20 (850 pts), #30 (620 pts) picks vs. #1 (3,000 pts.) That or I'll trade you my #1 overall for the first five picks of round two.

newlander

Reaction score
"Mickey: They should be able to pick up a solid whatever with the 51st pick, although with nine draft choices, do not preclude the Cowboys packaging a few picks to move up in the second round since it would seem unlikely nine draft choices would make this team."

Spags thinks we'll go this route too, and I really hope we do. Getting excited again. Nice feeling after a brutal season of disappointment........BTW: thought we have ELEVEN TOTAL PICKS?

SLATEmosphere

Benched
Reaction score
newlander;2685374 said:
"Mickey: They should be able to pick up a solid whatever with the 51st pick, although with nine draft choices, do not preclude the Cowboys packaging a few picks to move up in the second round since it would seem unlikely nine draft choices would make this team."

Spags thinks we'll go this route too, and I really hope we do. Getting excited again. Nice feeling after a brutal season of disappointment........BTW: thought we have ELEVEN TOTAL PICKS?

We do. 9 picks plus 2 comp picks(5th and 6th)