Question on Home Games

silvernblu

Reaction score
Now that the league has gone to 17 regular season games. What is the process for a team to get an extra home vs an extra away game. Obviously it needs to evenly split.

I notice that the Cowboys have 9 away games this year. Does it alternate by year?

I notice Philly does as well. I assume it is based on Division?

ThatJerryKid

cowboys31
Reaction score
Now that the league has gone to 17 regular season games. What is the process for a team to get an extra home vs an extra away game. Obviously it needs to evenly split.

I notice that the Cowboys have 9 away games this year. Does it alternate by year?

Thanks for posting this and providing an answer below. This was a great question and one that I didn’t ever think about. And I’m really smart. :)

maryquality

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Here's a question. How do they determine the "extra" team to play in a 17 game schedule?

Motorola

Reaction score

It alternates every year.
Go to FBSchedules.com -- pull up 2024 Cowboys schedule.
They have 9 home games - but l'm going to go out on a limb and predict one of those 9 will be part of the NFL International Series - meaning the Cowboys' 9th "home game" will either be in Mexico City or Europe.
Dallas hasn't place a game outside of the U.S. in almost a decade...2014.

John813

Reaction score
Here's a question. How do they determine the "extra" team to play in a 17 game schedule?
From the NFL
The 17th game is an additional game against a non-conference opponent from a division that the team is not scheduled to play. Matchups are based on division ranking from the previous season.

maryquality

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
From the NFL
The 17th game is an additional game against a non-conference opponent from a division that the team is not scheduled to play. Matchups are based on division ranking from the previous season.
Thanks! :thumbup:

Motorola

Reaction score
The 17th game is based on an opposite conference rotation schedule.

2023 the NFC East played the AFC East for the entire interconference division matchups, and played the AFC West for that single game matchup - and the NFC East teams were on the road (Eagles @ Chiefs, Cowboys @ Chargers, etc.). Pairings were determined by same division finish in 2022.

In 2024 it will be NFC East v. AFC North and the single opposite conference game matchup will be NFC East v. AFC South, with the four games being at home for the NFC East.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The 17th game is based on an opposite conference rotation schedule.

2023 the NFC East played the AFC East for the entire interconference division matchups, and played the AFC West for that single game matchup - and the NFC East teams were on the road (Eagles @ Chiefs, Cowboys @ Chargers, etc.). Pairings were determined by same division finish in 2022.

In 2024 it will be NFC East v. AFC North and the single opposite conference game matchup will be NFC East v. AFC South, with the four games being at home for the NFC East.
The AFC South is up in the air (and the NFCE isn't decided). The Cowboys will play one of JAX, IND or HOU.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
17 games was an excuse to make it an even 18.

Motorola

Reaction score
The AFC South is up in the air (and the NFCE isn't decided). The Cowboys will play one of JAX, IND or HOU.
That Titans loss in OT at home yesterday pretty much destines them to finish last in the AFC South this season - 3 games behind with 5 to play. They might not win another game to close out 2023----
@MIA
HOU
SEA
@HOU
JAX

JustChip

Reaction score
Similar to the inter-Division games. It’s on a rotation between Divisions and then how the teams finished in the divisions the previous year.

The extra game this year for the NFC East is the AFC West and 1st plays 1st (Eagles vs. KC), 2nd plays 2nd (Dallas vs. LAC), etc.

Not sure what the divisional matchups will be next year.

blueblood70

Reaction score
17 game season was an excuse to kill pre-season game #4 and make it a regular season game.
And I have no problem with that at all especially even if they go to an 18 game season with two preseason games but we need an expanded roster I don't know when throughout the season or just in the postseason I don't know how they can work it out but we need a bigger roster pool to choose from like being able to use the whole 60 versus what active game day is 48 or something? I didn't look it up but I believe they have only 53 players that can be on your active roster but on game day it's less than that they need to fix that they should have already done it but if we go to 18 they for sure it's gonna they're gonna have to do it...

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It alternates every year.
Go to FBSchedules.com -- pull up 2024 Cowboys schedule.
They have 9 home games - but l'm going to go out on a limb and predict one of those 9 will be part of the NFL International Series - meaning the Cowboys' 9th "home game" will either be in Mexico City or Europe.
Dallas hasn't place a game outside of the U.S. in almost a decade...2014.
They rotate those games as well. Every team will play in one of the games. Jerry wanted the Mexico game last year but they did not do it. Dallas time in the rotation is due.