Question on touchbacks

Kellsbells

Reaction score
There were 2 times in the first half where whoever was receiving kickoffs for the Giants received the ball with one foot out of the end zone, then stepped back into the end zone and took a knee. I’d need to look at a slow-motion replay to verify it, but it looked to me like one foot was out of the end zone. The timing was very close, maybe that foot was actually in the air when he caught the ball. If, in fact, his foot was out of the end zone and he stepped back into the end zone, would that be a safety? Or would they get the ball at the 1/2 yard line instead of the 25? Or neither? The refs didn’t call anything, and the announcers never mentioned it. It was just something I noticed and was curious about.

HungryLion

Reaction score
There were 2 times in the first half where whoever was receiving kickoffs for the Giants received the ball with one foot out of the end zone, then stepped back into the end zone and took a knee. I’d need to look at a slow-motion replay to verify it, but it looked to me like one foot was out of the end zone. The timing was very close, maybe that foot was actually in the air when he caught the ball. If, in fact, his foot was out of the end zone and he stepped back into the end zone, would that be a safety? Or would they get the ball at the 1/2 yard line instead of the 25? Or neither? The refs didn’t call anything, and the announcers never mentioned it. It was just something I noticed and was curious about.

I think it’s the ball more than their feet.

Also, they have adjusted the touchback rules over the years for safety. So it likely has something to do with that. The nfl wants kick off returners to take the touchback as often as possible

conner01

Reaction score
Hate that rule. But a KO can be fair caught and since it’s the 25 it’s probably the smart move unless it’s a line drive kick

Saluki

Reaction score
Kinda like in basketball where they rarely pay attention to the inbounds after a bucket. Technicality, schmechnicality.

kskboys

Reaction score
You can fair catch a kickoff anywhere on the field and get the ball on the 25. New rule this year.
I just saw that happen, shocked the bejeezers out of me. How in the world does it make sense to fair catch a ball at the 2 and get it at the 25? Why?

sunalsorises

Reaction score
I just saw that happen, shocked the bejeezers out of me. How in the world does it make sense to fair catch a ball at the 2 and get it at the 25? Why?
I think it is to counter the play where the kicker sends one really high and short so it comes down inside the 5 forcing the receiving player to return it while giving the kicking team plenty of time to pin him deep. In other words, they don't want the kicking team to force the receiving team to return a kick.

Kellsbells

Reaction score
I haven’t seen this happen, which is why I had no idea about the rule. It seems like any time the ball is kicked into the end zone, they would take the touchback, and any time it was short of the end zone they’d attempt to return it. Makes no sense why the Giants player would take a step back into the end zone if it didn’t matter. Unless it’s habit.

maryquality

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I knew about the new rule.....but for the life of me, I couldn't figure out how a couple times during the game, a defensive holding penalty added 5 yards to the end of the play. When did this rule come about? I thought you either accept or decline that penalty. Can anyone explain this?? :huh: :huh:

Kellsbells

Reaction score
I knew about the new rule.....but for the life of me, I couldn't figure out how a couple times during the game, a defensive holding penalty added 5 yards to the end of the play. When did this rule come about? I thought you either accept or decline that penalty. Can anyone explain this?? :huh: :huh:
That confused me as well. And they never showed replays of the penalties. Seems like they were in the secondary, during running plays?