QUESTIONS: Post your questions for Cowboys Legend Bill Bates

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Mr. Bates,

Thank you for taking time to spend with our board. This is truly a treat for many, many Cowboy Fans.

My question is, of all the players you have played with or against, is there one that stands out above the rest? You played in a time when there were a lot of great players and you were certainly one of them. Is there a player that you found yourself watching and just appreciating what you were seeing?

Thank you Mr. Bates

Joe Realist

No Kool-Aid here!
Reaction score
Two questions:

1) What went through your mind when Jerry Jones bought the team and subsequently, fired Tom Landry?

2.) What Cowboys coach (head, position or trainer) do you attribute your success and longevity as a Dallas Cowboy?

Bonus question:

3.) Have you met our legendary poster named bbgun?

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score
Bill: In the transition from the Landry era to the Johnson era....
What were the differances in training camp.

Did you see players in the last year of the Landry ERA that were not giving full effort.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Thanks for taking the time to answer some questions.

Also want to say thanks for the intensity, dedication and toughness you played. Always was a team first guy and gave 100% effort.

Who was the player you looked up to the most while playing?

Was there a player or two that you took under your wing and saw blossom?

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Mr. Bates, do you consider youerself a Cowboy legend?

Also, any of your "Kick Butt" shirts you marketed during Jimma Johnson's first SB year still around to buy? You were on the PUP that year, right?

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
Mr. Bates,

Would you ever consider being a special teams coach in the NFL?

If so, what would be your ideal environment?

It's an honor, by the way.

Switz

Reaction score
Could you Please ask Bill: before the 1995 superbowl vs the steelers was their any talk among the players of how important it was to not only win the supebowl but for the franchise not too fall to 0-3 vs the steelers in superbowls and get some redemption for the cowboys teams of the 70's.

hope that question is ok thanks.

COWBOYFAN

Reaction score
Real Fans don't ask Bill Bates questions. They know he has already answered them all.

CowboyWay

If Coach would have put me in, we'd a won State
Reaction score
I chose number 40 in high school because of bill bates. I just loved how the guy played. Not the biggest, fastest, or most talented, but nobody, but nobody had more heart. I loved watching the guy play.

dfan32

Reaction score
No questions, just wanted to say thanks for being such an important part of so many great Cowboy games. I don't remember anyone having more heart and determination than # 40.

Thanks so much.

dfan32

dfan32

Reaction score
I have a question after all. Hope you don't mind.

In your latter years, it seemed as though most had written you off and were always surprised that you made the final cut.

Were you surprised yourself to make the roster in any of those years and if so, what player or players were cut in your place?

Again, thanks for the great memories. You were and always will be one of my favorite players.

dfan32

LifetimeBoysFan

Reaction score
First of all I grew up admiring your tenacity and the heart you played with. Your game embodied what the Dallas Cowboys stand for. I had the pleasure of meeting Coach Landry a couple of times and had the honor of listening to him tell his life story over dinner. Truly an inspiring man. So, I wondered what was your greatest memory playing for coach Landry?

Any chance we talk Darren Woodson out of retirement? Man I miss him back there.

bsheeern

Reaction score
It was as honor to watch you play. You made me proud to be a Cowboy fan.

Who were the best 2 players (offense and defense) who you ever played with in the pros?

Thank you sir and Seeing you get that first ring was a Moment I'll never forget.

cowboyeric8

Chicks dig crutches
Reaction score
Not sure if this is in time. If not oh well.

How is your son doing? I watched him go down in a Bowl game last year.

The Emperor

Marcus Aurelius Maximus
Reaction score
Do you mind if I share this on my show's Facebook page? Obviously, the Zone would be the big winners because you would get more users.