Quincy Carter back in rehab, also bipolar

Jersey

Reaction score
Who cares, he's a Jet. He NEVER contributed to our team. If you want something as equally newsworthy, Clint Longely farted.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
One of my old high school friends was diagnosed with bipolar. It took him to reach 23 before anyone ever knew. He's never been the same since.

We've had guys with it before such as Spellman and Underwood. I hope the guy does what he can.

Rude

Reaction score
jimmy40 said:
I hope he starts selling insurance and we never have to hear his name again.

^^^^^^^ Pretty low class

I hope Carter gets help, thats a horrible thing to have

k19

Reaction score
Not a good time to have this come up for him with his hearing against the Boys already scheduled. I guess that becomes a closed case.

I do feel for him though. I hope he can get over this.

TLW47

Reaction score
It's just wrong to wish Quincy bad luck, bad health or make fun of his problems. He needs help. Heaven knows we all do at some point in our lives.

jimmy40

Reaction score
Rude said:
^^^^^^^ Pretty low class

I hope Carter gets help, thats a horrible thing to have
Whatever dude. Did I say I hope he doesn't get help? Never has one man done so little to get so much attention. I feel sorry for people that have illnesses and don't get paid hundreds of thousands of dollars a year to stand on the sideline looking stupid. I guess now he has an excuse for using drugs, right?

Rude

Reaction score
jimmy40 said:
Whatever dude. Did I say I hope he doesn't get help? Never has one man done so little to get so much attention. I feel sorry for people that have illnesses and don't get paid hundreds of thousands of dollars a year to stand on the sideline looking stupid. I guess now he has an excuse for using drugs, right?

Did I say, "now he has an excuse to use drugs"?

That statement was pretty low, "hope he sells insurance", honestly, whats the point in that statement? Do you feel better about yourself? Do you think you sound cool?

I feel sorry for ANYONE with a disease, regardless "if they get paid hundreds of thousands of dollars a year to stand on the sideline looking stupid". Sorry

VoR

Reaction score
K19 said:
Not a good time to have this come up for him with his hearing against the Boys already scheduled. I guess that becomes a closed case.

I do feel for him though. I hope he can get over this.

Yep, I would say the NFLPA doesn't have much of a case now.
But I don't think they ever had one to begin with anyway.

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
VoR said:
Yep, I would say the NFLPA doesn't have much of a case now.
But I don't think they ever had one to begin with anyway.

This is what fails to make sense and something anti-Carter fans can never answer.
If you are afraid of losing a guy for 4 games, why would you make him miss 16 games by cutting him from your team?

That's why I think it ultimately came down to the Cowboys wanting to start Vinny Testaverde and not deal with a potential QB controversy with Carter on the bench more than it did with just drugs.

We have dealt with drug abusers before....Leon Lett anyone. If Carter would have been as good as Leon Lett, there is no way we cut him.

Let's admit why Carter was cut. He was cut because Parcells wanted a guy who was familiar with his system and was more accurate, efficient and intelligent at reading defenses.

The relapse was just the greenlight Parcells and Jones were looking for if it indeed happened.

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
mr.jameswoods said:
This is what fails to make sense and something anti-Carter fans can never answer.
If you are afraid of losing a guy for 4 games, why would you make him miss 16 games by cutting him from your team?

That's why I think it ultimately came down to the Cowboys wanting to start Vinny Testaverde and not deal with a potential QB controversy with Carter on the bench more than it did with just drugs.

We have dealt with drug abusers before....Leon Lett anyone. If Carter would have been as good as Leon Lett, there is no way we cut him.

Let's admit why Carter was cut. He was cut because Parcells wanted a guy who was familiar with his system and was more accurate, efficient and intelligent at reading defenses.

The relapse was just the greenlight Parcells and Jones were looking for if it indeed happened.

You said it yourself. Carter was expendable. I don't think it had so much to do with Parcells "wanting" to start Testaverde, but with him in place, he felt he had a quarterback equally as good (for the lack of a better term) as Carter. I'd agree that if Carter were a two-time MVP, he wouldn't have been released. :)

Also, the difference with Lett, and Lawrence Taylor for that matter, is their positions. As important as those players were, I don't think Parcells would ever allow himself to trust a player with drug problems at the quarterback position.

And I don't think we were so much "afraid" of Carter missing four games as we were the potential impact that could cause on a team midseason. Granted, some may argue it hurt momentum by cutting him during camp, but what if the team was 5-3 and our starting quarterback is suspended for a quarter of the year? At least as it was, we essentially had all camp, preseason and the regular season to prepare with Vinny. I think having a starting quarterback suspended provides a different blow than even seeing a guy go down with injury. At least an injured player can return and still hold some authority over his teammates. Would Quincy have any respect by his peers if, as a quarterback, he were suspended?

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
Dale said:
And I don't think we were so much "afraid" of Carter missing four games as we were the potential impact that could cause on a team midseason. Granted, some may argue it hurt momentum by cutting him during camp, but what if the team was 5-3 and our starting quarterback is suspended for a quarter of the year? At least as it was, we essentially had all camp, preseason and the regular season to prepare with Vinny. I think having a starting quarterback suspended provides a different blow than even seeing a guy go down with injury. At least an injured player can return and still hold some authority over his teammates. Would Quincy have any respect by his peers if, as a quarterback, he were suspended?

But I think we have to remember that Vinny was considered an exceptional backup and one that could realistically fill in for Quincy should he miss games for whatever reason. That's the reason Vinny was signed in the first place. Vinny wasn't an inserviceable backup like Henson was this year.

And something else we should have considered is that by having Quincy does that mean we have to start him? We could have still started Vinny with Quincy on the bench.

Mr.Prez

Reaction score
I guess in retrospect, Bill's decision to release Quincy was a good one.

Reaction score
Here's what I don't get about the people that are still second-guessing the decision to cut Carter, at to me seems like the most logical time to do it if it was going to happen, the beginning of training camp.

The argument that it was a disruptive force for this team somehow seem to be overlooking the bigger picture.

How would you feel if they had kept Carter, started him, Dallas gets to the end of the season with a record that either gets them into the playoffs, or to a final pivotal game, and then the same thing happens here that happened in New York?

Somehow I'm thinking being so *** up with drug addiction that you have to abandon your team, and force your head coach to stand up in front of the media and tell a boldface lie to cover up what a sorry individual you are the week of a playoff, wouldn't go over so well.