Quinn's Defense disturbing trend

Playmaker3128

Reaction score
I'm going to highlight three games over the past two years. The jaguars game last year, The 49ers game this year. Tonights game.

All three of those teams have multiple weapons. All three of those games the teams got the ball out quick, as a result we didn't have a sack in any of them. We gave up 42, 40 and 35 in those three games. Those teams said we're gonna double Micah, and get the ball out quick, and we had no answer. It's a copycat league, something has to give. Quinn's man defense is getting exposed by good teams.

Maybe start mixing in some more zone (which also didn't seem to work tonight either). Idk if Shaquille leaonard can cover, but if he can we could sure use it against certain teams.

KMY_Amber

Reaction score
Yep, Quinn's vanilla defensive schemes are getting exposed as of late. They need more variety of plays and coverages, and more deception. Otherwise, Bland and Gilmore are going to routinely get beat against some of the better WRs if they're left out there on an island most of the game with safeties not in position to help (and right now, Cowboys safeties are NEVER in position to help on a pass thrown outside the hashes, they're often not even in the picture frame).

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Great observation and analysis there. I agree, this formula has neutralized the Cowboys for a while now.

Not sure the Cowboys defense has the back end personnel to pivot and make the required adjustments, though. Safeties have been flat out terrible and the DBs and LBs have been relatively unreliable tacklers. That’s a formula for disaster

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
Quinn falls into a cover one rut. It *felt* like they needed to run more cover three and zone near the goal line.

Of course, people who watch tape would probably say they were in cover three ninety percent of the time tonight. That’s usually how it goes when I try to talk Xs and Os.

Playmaker3128

Reaction score
Quinn falls into a cover one rut. It *felt* like they needed to run more cover three and zone near the goal line.

Of course, people who watch tape would probably say they were in cover three ninety percent of the time tonight. That’s usually how it goes when I try to talk Xs and Os.

Agreed but I feel like he has no adjustments for when teams start neutralizing our pass rush.

Perfect example was that drive before half. Bland playing back to give up a key first down… then man on the touchdown? It just made no sense

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I'm going to highlight three games over the past two years. The jaguars game last year, The 49ers game this year. Tonights game.
All three of those teams have multiple weapons. All three of those games the teams got the ball out quick, as a result we didn't have a sack in any of them. We gave up 42, 40 and 35 in those three games. Those teams said we're gonna double Micah, and get the ball out quick, and we had no answer. It's a copycat league, something has to give. Quinn's man defense is getting exposed by good teams.

Maybe start mixing in some more zone (which also didn't seem to work tonight either). Idk if Shaquille leaonard can cover, but if he can we could sure use it against certain teams.
We've played three bad defensive games this year out of 12. It happens. The fact that Dallas stopped Seattle on four or their last five possessions should be viewed as a positive on a night when the defense was struggling.

One adjustment that some of us noticed in the second half is that we started having Gilmore line up against Metcalf after Bland struggled with him. We gave up two TDs in the second half, but it was definitely an improvement over the first half of play.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
The only "disturbing trend" here is dudes with Rowdy avatars bringing hot takes that aren't so hot.

CCBoy

Reaction score
The only "disturbing trend" here is dudes with Rowdy avatars bringing hot takes that aren't so hot.
6 point differential against a solid team playing up...and you say not impressed. Limp along or get ball park on a win. Was Dallas run defense good and Dallas running game getting much better?

Their top shelf three receivers were all as advertised this game... for Seattle.

DeRand Bland is working back at becoming a shut down defender now. Another interception.