"Donkey Kong" documentary

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Watched Part 1 on YouTube last night and was hooked. Middle-aged spazoids as far as the eye can see. The protagonist is some guy in Seattle who's drifting through life with no major successes to speak of. The antagonist is some mullet-haired dbag named Billy Michell, who dresses like it's still 1988 and has somehow generated a cult following. Incredibly, neither guy is still a virgin.

There are eight more parts if you can stomach all the nerdiness.

[youtube]iQZ9wXO8RVs[/youtube]

kmp77

Reaction score
This came out in 2007. Real good documentary and the "villians" of the film are total a-whipes.

Khartun

AmarilloCowboyFan
Reaction score
Defender was my game. I was great at it. I liked Joust as well but wasn't nearly as good at it.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
kmp77;3385919 said:
This came out in 2007. Real good documentary and the "villians" of the film are total a-whipes.

This little weasel, one of Michell's groupies/spies, needed to be punched in the face.

http://img193.*************/img193/2521/tjyjy.jpg

rkell87

Reaction score
bbgun;3385830 said:
Watched Part 1 on YouTube last night and was hooked. Middle-aged spazoids as far as the eye can see. The protagonist is some guy in Seattle who's drifting through life with no major successes to speak of. The antagonist is some mullet-haired dbag named Billy Michell, who dresses like it's still 1988 and has somehow generated a cult following. Incredibly, neither guy is still a virgin.

There are eight more parts if you can stomach all the nerdiness.

[youtube]iQZ9wXO8RVs[/youtube]
this is one of the best docs. ever made imo. i loved it and its really funny and doesnt even mean to be.

[Yelling] Daaad!
[Playing Donkey Kong] Yes, Derek. What's wrong?
[Upset and Angry] Wipe my butt!

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
rkell87;3385974 said:
this is one of the best docs. ever made imo. i loved it and its really funny and doesnt even mean to be.

Mitchell is unintentionally hilarious, as are his parents. Lord knows where he came up with the $ to start a restaurant chain.

[Yelling] Daaad!
[Playing Donkey Kong] Yes, Derek. What's wrong?
[Upset and Angry] Wipe my butt!

:laugh2:

Yeah, that was classic.

rkell87

Reaction score
bbgun;3385978 said:
Mitchell is unintentionally hilarious, as are his parents. Lord knows where he came up with the $ to start a restaurant chain.

:laugh2:

Yeah, that was classic.
i might just re watch this now. i think they may be making a follow up but im not sure

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
rkell87;3385982 said:
i might just re watch this now. i think they may be making a follow up but im not sure

Wiki tells me that some Asian guy now holds the DK record. Kinda interesting that they all prefer to play the vintage arcade version and not the home console one.

rkell87

Reaction score
bbgun;3385985 said:
Wiki tells me that some Asian guy now holds the DK record. Kinda interesting that they all prefer to play the vintage arcade version and not the home console one.
cant get the record that way lol.

btw there were some omissions in the film but it made the film better.

Both Walter Day of Twin Galaxies and director Seth Gordon claim that there are inaccuracies in the film. Day believes that the documentary is dishonest in its portrayal of the actual events. In posts on a Twin Galaxies forum entitled "The King of Kong — Official Statement"[19] he contends, among other things, that:
  • In 2000 Tim Sczerby reached a high score of 879,200 points. Steve Wiebe beat both this score and Billy Mitchell's 1982 score. (In response, the film's producers claim that "Tim Sczerby's consistently disputed record was impossible to verify and did not merit inclusion in the film."[20])
  • Steve Wiebe actually held the high score record for almost 3 years, and when his videotaped score of 1,006,600 points was rejected, the record actually reverted back to Wiebe's own previous record reached in 2003 — it did not revert to Billy Mitchell's 1982 score as implied by the film.
  • Mitchell's videotaped record sent to the Funspot event was actually discarded after the event, and Walter Day apologized "for the mistake of approving this videotape without the benefit of a complete verification process". The score was reverted to Wiebe's score achieved at Funspot.[21]
Gordon has claimed to have painted Billy Mitchell as a lighter character than his real life persona[22] concerning the movie. Gordon also claims that Billy Mitchell is "so much worse than we painted him out to be", but he chose to only include scenes that were necessary to tell the story.[22]
Gordon also contends that the movie would have been "darker" had he not played with the facts. A 2008 article by Retro Gamer Magazine, disputes this claim.[23]