"Must Win" Game, not an exaggeration this time

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Losing the first game to a 12-4 team was not the end of the world, even though most of us think we could have won if Bledsoe had at least been average and if the defense had played a full game.

I believe we will destroy Washington tonight, and I don't predict that often...I think the defense is embarrassed and has a lot to prove. If we avoid giving up the big plays, I don't think the Skins can drive it on us. Our offense should be able to pick the skins apart through the air..they are really hurting in the secondary...If they keep their safeties back and try to pressure Bledsoe, we're going to gash them with the running game.

All that said, if the Skins upset us, the season won't be over on paper, but this young team will be in dire danger of going down the toilet this season.

This HOME game is a must win situation, not because it's the Skins or a division opponent, but because we're a young, fragile team...if we can't defeat the Skins without Portis or Shaun Springs, a Commander team that has struggled to score TD's all preseason and in week 1, then who the heck can we defeat?

Confidence in yourself, your coach, and the system is critical...This is a must win game...if we lose at home with all the road games in front of us, it will mean our defense still can't stop anyone, our offense isn't what we hoped for, and our special teams continue to be something other than special...I also have to add that, in my opinion, it will mean we were outcoached because right now I don't think anyone believes Washington has a better team running out on the field this Sunday.

The Cowboys better come out and play the way everyone thinks they will...if not, though others will say it's too early, I'll be predicting no playoffs this season....again.

Woods

Reaction score
Agree completely.

Most important thing is gaining confidence.

We have the talent, but the young players, especially on defense, need to believe. You can only do that by winning.

Eddie

Reaction score
Not sure I can say this is a MUST WIN game, but considering it's against the Skins at home, and following a crappy lose in the season opener ... this is about as MUST WIN as it gets this early in the season.

A lose to the Skins, and our moral is in the dumpster. I can imagine the Get Rid Of ... posts come Monday morning.

The Skins are hurt, but they're still dangerous. They showed they can't be held down by 13 points. We go for the kill this time. No more clock management nonsense ... kill them!!!

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't know if it is a must win or not, but if we should lose, the media is gonna kill is the next couple of weeks.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
...I'm not sure about the absilute need for a win, but we need to really show up for this game.

If this young team goes down after a hard fought game, they may still have enough belief about their competitiveness to learn to eck out wins in other nail biters.

But if we get man handle and taken up and down the field with long drives and turnovers by the time the fairweather fans and media get done with this team it may be only a shell of the team coming out of TC.

Too much attention is being placed on this week two match for my taste.

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
I also agree.

This young D has the talent......They simply need to take their game to the field. Pin your ears back and make football plays gentlemen. I'm confident you can now you be confident you can.

BlueStar22

Reaction score
it is a must win based on the fact that we don't play next week, right? Don't need to go into the bye week 0-2.

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
I think it's a must win because you cannot afford to lose home games to teams in your division.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Cbz40 said:
I think it's a must win because you cannot afford to lose home games to teams in your division.
Agreed CB...I also think it's a "must win" because if we are 0-2 after Jax and the hapless Skins, well....it doesn't suggest that we are the type of team that will suddenly turn on the juice and put a bunch of wins together. At 0-2, with all those road games coming up, I think we'd spend the entire year scratching to get back to .500...that ain't a playoff team.

I'll settle for a one point win, but frankly, there's truly no reason this Cowboys team shouldn't absolutely pound the skins today...I can't think of a single reason they would win if we are prepared well and our players show up.

corinthian_bob

Reaction score
I'd say it's more of a must-win for the Skins. They've already lost a home game to a conference team that was average last year (that could cost them a tie-breaker for a wildcard - just like TB last year).

The Cowboys couldn't have lost a better game. On the road. AFC team. Playoff team. Still 15 to play. They're not in bad shape, even if they lose tonight.

No matter. I don't think it will come down to "who wants it the most". Probably more like who doesn't shoot themselves in the foot at the wrong time as both have been wont to do.

Big Country

Rolling Thunder
Reaction score
Cbz40 said:

:hammer: :hammer: Yes sir, hope the Cowboys take that attitude to heart...