"Slingin" Sammy Baugh... Passed Away

ROMOSAPIEN9

Proud Grandpa
Reaction score
I regret to inform y'all that the great Sammy Baugh passed away today at the age of 94. He was a very old timer, but he revolutionized pro football in so much that before he came along teams normally only passed the ball in desperation. I.E. 3rd and long or worse. He showed that the passing game could actually function as a primary offensive weapon with the right guy chuckin the ball.

He was a tough old coot. If you ever get a chance to listen to him talk about his playing days, he's very entertaining.

One season he lead the league in passing, int's and punting. His single season punting average is a record that not only still stands, but will probably never be broken. I believe he averaged like 52 net yards per punt one year. In one game, he threw four touchdown passes and intercepted four passes.

He definitely contributed and the world is worse off with his passing.

Career Stats

Not much on youtube about him.

[youtube]Pst4J1LerL0[/youtube]

R.I.P.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
ROMOSAPIEN9;2503101 said:
I regret to inform y'all that the great Sammy Baugh passed away today at the age of 94. He was a very old timer, but he revolutionized pro football in so much that before he came along teams normally only passed the ball in desperation. I.E. 3rd and long or worse. He showed that the passing game could actually function as a primary offensive weapon with the right guy chuckin the ball.

He was a tough old coot. If you ever get a chance to listen to him talk about his playing days, he's very entertaining.

One season he lead the league in passing, int's and punting. His single season punting average is a record that not only still stands, but will probably never be broken. I believe he averaged like 52 net yards per punt one year. In one game, he threw four touchdown passes and intercepted four passes.

He definitely contributed and the world is worse off with his passing.

Career Stats

Not much on youtube about him.

[youtube]Pst4J1LerL0[/youtube]

R.I.P.

Slinging Sammy Baugh. He is a Commander Icon but he was born in Temple Texas. ;)

RIP Sammy Baugh

DallasCowpoke

Fierce Allegiance
Reaction score
I think Baugh was the 1st to throw for 300 yrds in a game? He also took TCU to an AP Championship in 37 and was MVP.

Look up the word "old cuss" in the dictionary, and there his pic is. He was a great interview.

"Last surviving member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame's inaugural class" pretty much says it all.

RIP to another Son of Texas

DallasCowpoke

Fierce Allegiance
Reaction score
Here's a longer vid on Slingin' Sammy from NFL Films. The dude could tell some stories!

[youtube]CdL6hY-9_e4[/youtube]

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
DallasCowpoke;2504519 said:
Here's a longer vid on Slingin' Sammy from NFL Films. The dude could tell some stories!

[youtube]CdL6hY-9_e4[/youtube]

You and CBZ probably remember him when he was a young kid.

Ya old farts ;)

DallasCowpoke

Fierce Allegiance
Reaction score
Yeagermeister;2504556 said:
You and CBZ probably remember him when he was a young kid.

Ya old farts ;)

:mad:

Hell, CBZ dated my mom!! She dumped him 'cus his kisses' always tasted like mayo and frozen peas.

:muttley:

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
DallasCowpoke;2504632 said:
:mad:

Hell, CBZ dated my mom!! She dumped him 'cus his kisses' always tasted like mayo and frozen peas.

:muttley:

Maybe he's you real father

CBZ in Darth Vader voice: Cowpoke I am your father

Cowpoke: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO