Random Draft thoughts

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
every year there is busts in the draft. I think this year Ngata is a candidate. I think he is not truly going to be a bust, but he is not going to be dominant at the next level. he will be like a Sam Adams or Washington. he will be a hired gun for a season or two and jump from team to team.

AJ hawk will be defensive rookie of the year. the guy is going to be an absolute beast in the NFL. Mario Williams will break double digit sack and be runner up.

I am going crazy trying to decide between Carpenter or Lawson. one is NFL ready, the other has a high ceiling I can't even imagine. if we get one of those two, we can't lose.

Wimbley will be average in the NFL.

Sims will surprise everyone. he is so active and he is side line to side. he is not a sack threat, but he will make tackles all over the field.

Jay Cutler has bust written all over him.

if Lienhart doesn't go to a west coast offense team, then he will be average. his arm strength will be his undoing.

chad jackson will be a bust.

Santonio Holmes is the next coming of Terry Glenn.

vernon davis is a beast. he will make you change your defense. the guy can line up as a WR against a CB or LB and either way the defense loses. he will change your defense so much that the rest of your offense just gets naturally better.

the cowboys might take a CB in the first round, then again this year's CB draft is very deep so we might wait until the second. Newman will be 28 and henry 29....we need to get younger at CB.

I would love to get Davin Joseph...plug him in at the LG spot for the next 10 years.....don't be surprised if we trade down in the first and trade up in the second if Joseph is within reach.

Leanord pope will drop into the 3rd round...do we want him?

Daryn college will be there in the 3rd. do you want him?

I think we will make some trades to get an extra 3rd or 4th round pick...this year's draft is deep in the middle tier type players. there is a lot of good ones (and lots of busts with potential).

after the top 10...there is about 25 players that are about the same grade so take your pick based on need.

then there is the next 20 which is not much lower.

I told you....random thoughts......I am already sick of the draft...I wish it would come and go...

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
Busts in the top 10 (or so) - Young, Williams

Disappointments - Davis, Leinart, Bunkley.

Williams is fast but doesn't play like a speed rusher, strong but doesn't overpower anyone decent.

Davis is an all world athlete but mediocre football player. Bad route runner and has terrible technique when he makes an effort to block (which isn't all that often).

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
CowboysFaninDC said:
the cowboys might take a CB in the first round, then again this year's CB draft is very deep so we might wait until the second. Newman will be 28 and henry 29....we need to get younger at CB.

What?

I do not understand how you can look at our CBs, each under 30, and say we need to get younger at that position. To me, both these guys are in there primes right now.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
StanleySpadowski said:
Busts in the top 10 (or so) - Young, Williams

Disappointments - Davis, Leinart, Bunkley.

Williams is fast but doesn't play like a speed rusher, strong but doesn't overpower anyone decent.

Davis is an all world athlete but mediocre football player. Bad route runner and has terrible technique when he makes an effort to block (which isn't all that often).

I can see all the guys you've mentioned but I can't see Young. Of course, a great deal depends on where he goes, but I just think he's going to be a heck of a good football player for somebody.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
What?

I do not understand how you can look at our CBs, each under 30, and say we need to get younger at that position. To me, both these guys are in there primes right now.

well we have stocked up on most positions speciall on defense. we are in position to draft a CB, let him sit for a couple of years and then move him in....same with WR spot of course.

29....a little scary...specially with henry's injury...he maybe a candidate to move to FS spot in a couple of years.

Glenn is older as well...

all I am saying...is that don't rule out taking a CB in the 1st two rounds. specially with the value in CBs this year.

WR is really thin and not talented....no value until the 4th round.

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
I can see all the guys you've mentioned but I can't see Young. Of course, a great deal depends on where he goes, but I just think he's going to be a heck of a good football player for somebody.

I don't see Young lasting two whole seasons as a starter with his style. Vick has that little extra wiggle to avoid defenders getting a real clean shot on him. Young doesn't and once his legs go I can't envision him being able to win in the NFL solely on his arm.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
CowboysFaninDC said:
well we have stocked up on most positions speciall on defense. we are in position to draft a CB, let him sit for a couple of years and then move him in....same with WR spot of course.

29....a little scary...specially with henry's injury...he maybe a candidate to move to FS spot in a couple of years.

Glenn is older as well...

all I am saying...is that don't rule out taking a CB in the 1st two rounds. specially with the value in CBs this year.

WR is really thin and not talented....no value until the 4th round.

I think you take the best player and if that's a CB, then you have to consider that. However, I would not say that CB is even close to our biggest need position. You also have to consider the fact that Newman, Henry and RLWs are three of the highest salaries on our roster. You add another number 1 pick to the defensive backfield and all of a sudden, that is a great deal of cap tied up in one area of the team. Not a bad thing if you can manage it but all those players will eventually come due. It could prove to be very difficult to keep all of them.

As for WR, well, I like Jackson very much. I think he is the only worthy 1st round pick at the position so again, you gotta look at the board and go with the best value. Don't know how it will fall but trade down is the way I would like to see us proceed, if at all possible.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
StanleySpadowski said:
I don't see Young lasting two whole seasons as a starter with his style. Vick has that little extra wiggle to avoid defenders getting a real clean shot on him. Young doesn't and once his legs go I can't envision him being able to win in the NFL solely on his arm.

I see him developing as a QB. He's not going to be the running QB Vick is proving to be IMO. I think he will learn to pass in the NFL and use his legs to create situations for passing opportunities. I think he's going to be a very good player. Again, much depends on the offense he goes to. It will be interesting to see what happens with this player.