RANDY GALLOWAY:Don't be fooled, Seahawks were jacked

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
Posted on Tue, Feb. 07, 2006

Don't be fooled, Seahawks were jacked
By RANDY GALLOWAY
Star-Telegram Staff Writer
Strictlyas (almost) a neutral observer, and someone no closer to Detroit than a 42-inch Sony HD on Farm Road 5 in Aledo, a weekend of Super Bowl worsts came down to the following items:

Joe Montana knew what he was doing.

Reports out west say Montana refused to be a part of the pregame introduction of former MVPs.

The NFL was paying for the weekend travel expenses, plus $1,000 in spending money.

Joe, it is being reported, wanted a $100,000 appearance fee.
To sit through that awful game, I also wouldn't have taken anything less than a hundred thou.

I've been there for 29 of the 40 Super Bowls, and watched the others, like this one, on TV.

From a pure football standpoint, this was the worst ever.

Boredom has been a Super Bowl problem over the years. But that was because of blowouts.

This was certainly the worst competitive game ever.

The Seahawks got jacked.

Many a Super Bowl has had a bad call here and there.

But this was by far the worst start-to-finish performance by an officiating crew in 40 years.

Totally inept work by referee Bill Leavy and his guys.

Strangely, the worst of the flags all went against Seattle at critical times.

The best team didn't win Super Bowl XL. Bill Leavy was the Steelers' MVP, not Hines Ward.

Before all my Steelers' friends start cussing a yellow-flag streak, and hit me with their "Terrible Vowels:"

I spent two weeks promoting Pittsburgh as a bet-til-your-hands-bleed "lock" giving the four points.

And since it was the Super Bowl, I even waived my personal "no wagering on anything 2-legged" edict.

Won a couple of hundred on the game.

No, I didn't feel guilty collecting the money.

But out of appreciation, I will stuff one of the Franklins in an envelope and mail it to Bill Leavy, care of the National Football League, New York, New York.

While Seattle took much the worst of it Sunday, the Steelers deserved the Lombardi silver only for their golden playoff run that got them to Detroit.
They certainly didn't "win" this Super Bowl.

Worst rebuttal:

"See there, Galloway, it's not about the quarterback."

Something about Ben R. having a miserable performance and his team winning anyway. I was hearing a lot of this nonsense Monday.

But what about the other QB?

Matt Hasselbeck kept making the plays, only to see mysterious flags fall, wiping them out.

This Super Bowl will always be remembered for the zebras.

It was about the zebras.

But the best player on the field was Hasselbeck.

The worst player on the field was my man, Ben R.

It's always about the quarterback, good and bad.

Worst opinion from anyone:

No, it wasn't about the Steelers' defense.

See above item on Leavy and Co.

Worst coaching excuse:

Bill Cowher at halftime, laying the blame on Ben R.

And this was a coach with an offensive game plan to start the Super Bowl that was all about running the football.

So when the offense goes nowhere, Cowher wants to blame the quarterback.

Weak.

Worst timing:

The Seahawks lost three defensive starters to injury during the game.

The Steelers, meanwhile, added seven new "friends," all of them wearing striped shirts.

Pittsburgh, you be very, very lucky.

From Saturday, the worst alibi:

"See there, there is no Cow Bias."

Huh?

The selection committee for the Pro Football Hall of Fame finally got it Wright on Rayfield. And didn't screw up the obvious on Troy.

So now, what, we just forget and forgive?

Hell, no.

Not until there is justice for Michael Irvin, for Chuck Howley, for Bob Hayes, for Cliff Harris, for Drew Pearson.

Are you telling me that John Madden is a Hall of Famer and those guys aren't?
Warren Moon? C'mon.

The screaming from here will continue.

Worst omission from Saturday:

Michael Irvin, and that's Michael's fault.

Michael, between now and next February could you please keep yourself out of any situation involving dope?

Otherwise, you're the dope.

Randy Galloway's Galloway & Co. can be heard weekdays 3-6 p.m. on ESPN/103.3 FM.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Randy Galloway, (817) 390-7760 rgalloway@star-telegram.com

Recent Comments
Be the first to post a comment using the form below
Post Your Comment
Name:
email thisprint thisreprint or license this

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
I don't agree with much of what Galloway writes, but I happen to agree with almost everything he mentioned in this article.

Everything but this..

It's always about the quarterback, good and bad.

Sorry, but it's not "Always" about the QB.

jgboys1

Reaction score
All I have to say, is if the Cowboys were givin a superbowl like the stealers just were givin theres, we would not here the end of it. Every NFL fan from around the world would be screeming blody murder. Living in new yuck, I would have to here it from every giant fan how the game was givin to us.