Rangers' Rogers charged with assault

k19

Reaction score
Couldnt have happened to a nicer guy :D

09:38 AM CDT on Monday, July 18, 2005

By ERNESTO LONDOÑO / The Dallas Morning News

Mike Zukerman / WFAA-TV
Kenny Rogers (right) turned himself in this morning. Texas Rangers ace Kenny Rogers was booked into the Tarrant County Jail on Monday morning after Arlington police ordered his arrest in connection with the June 29 assault of a TV cameraman, an Arlington police spokeswoman said.

A jail supervisor said Mr. Rogers was booked in about 8:15 a.m., posted a $1,500 bond and was released about a half-hour later.

“The arrangements were made for Mr. Rogers to turn himself in, and that’s what happened,” said Arlington police spokeswoman Christy Gilfour. “All further action will be decided by the courts in Tarrant County.”

Mr. Rogers was charged with assaulting KDFW-TV cameraman Larry Rodriguez before a game. The assault was caught on camera and made national news. Police charged Mr. Rogers with a class A misdemeanor.

Ms. Gilfour said officials intend to file a second charge against Mr. Rogers in connection with the assault of Fox Sports Net Southwest camera operator David Mammeli. The charge is a class C misdemeanor.

Mr. Rogers “pushed Mr. Mammeli’s camera and brushed against his arm in an offensive and provocative manner,” the camera operator told police He was not injured.

A class A misdemeanor is punishable with up to a year in jail and a $4,000 fine. A class C misdemeanor carries a fine of up to $500.

Mark Daniel, Mr. Rogers' attorney, could not be reached for comment Monday morning.

Major League Baseball commissioner Bud Selig fined Rogers $50,000 and suspended him for 20 games for his actions. Rogers is appealing those penalties and remains eligible to play.

About a week after the altercations, Rogers issued a public apology for his "unacceptable behavior."

"Against the advice of my legal counsel, and regardless of potential litigation, I feel compelled to come before you and express my deep regret for my actions" he said at a news conference

Rogers turns self in on misdemeanor warrant

The Associated Press

ARLINGTON -- Rangers pitcher Kenny Rogers turned himself in to authorities Monday on misdemeanor assault charges stemming from his tirade against two cameramen.

Arlington police spokeswoman Christy Gilfour said Rogers faces a charge of assault with injury in the shoving of KDFW cameraman Larry Rodriguez. She said police will mail an assault citation to Rogers' attorney for shoving Fox Sports Net Southwest cameraman David Mammeli.

The assault charge involving Rodriguez is punishable by up to a year in jail and a fine of up to $4,000. The other charge is punishable by a fine of up to $500.

Gilfour said Fox Sports -- which owns the camera Rogers damaged in shoving Rodriguez -- has declined to press criminal charges.

Rogers is free on $1,500 bond. He's appealing a 20-game suspension and $50,000 for shoving the cameramen June 29. His appeal is scheduled to be heard by commissioner Bud Selig on Thursday.

jman

Reaction score
k19 said:
Couldnt have happened to a nicer guy :D

09:38 AM CDT on Monday, July 18, 2005

By ERNESTO LONDOÑO / The Dallas Morning News

Mike Zukerman / WFAA-TV
Kenny Rogers (right) turned himself in this morning. Texas Rangers ace Kenny Rogers was booked into the Tarrant County Jail on Monday morning after Arlington police ordered his arrest in connection with the June 29 assault of a TV cameraman, an Arlington police spokeswoman said.

A jail supervisor said Mr. Rogers was booked in about 8:15 a.m., posted a $1,500 bond and was released about a half-hour later.

“The arrangements were made for Mr. Rogers to turn himself in, and that’s what happened,” said Arlington police spokeswoman Christy Gilfour. “All further action will be decided by the courts in Tarrant County.”

Mr. Rogers was charged with assaulting KDFW-TV cameraman Larry Rodriguez before a game. The assault was caught on camera and made national news. Police charged Mr. Rogers with a class A misdemeanor.

Ms. Gilfour said officials intend to file a second charge against Mr. Rogers in connection with the assault of Fox Sports Net Southwest camera operator David Mammeli. The charge is a class C misdemeanor.

Mr. Rogers “pushed Mr. Mammeli’s camera and brushed against his arm in an offensive and provocative manner,” the camera operator told police He was not injured.

A class A misdemeanor is punishable with up to a year in jail and a $4,000 fine. A class C misdemeanor carries a fine of up to $500.

Mark Daniel, Mr. Rogers' attorney, could not be reached for comment Monday morning.

Major League Baseball commissioner Bud Selig fined Rogers $50,000 and suspended him for 20 games for his actions. Rogers is appealing those penalties and remains eligible to play.

About a week after the altercations, Rogers issued a public apology for his "unacceptable behavior."

"Against the advice of my legal counsel, and regardless of potential litigation, I feel compelled to come before you and express my deep regret for my actions" he said at a news conference

Rogers turns self in on misdemeanor warrant

The Associated Press

ARLINGTON -- Rangers pitcher Kenny Rogers turned himself in to authorities Monday on misdemeanor assault charges stemming from his tirade against two cameramen.

Arlington police spokeswoman Christy Gilfour said Rogers faces a charge of assault with injury in the shoving of KDFW cameraman Larry Rodriguez. She said police will mail an assault citation to Rogers' attorney for shoving Fox Sports Net Southwest cameraman David Mammeli.

The assault charge involving Rodriguez is punishable by up to a year in jail and a fine of up to $4,000. The other charge is punishable by a fine of up to $500.

Gilfour said Fox Sports -- which owns the camera Rogers damaged in shoving Rodriguez -- has declined to press criminal charges.

Rogers is free on $1,500 bond. He's appealing a 20-game suspension and $50,000 for shoving the cameramen June 29. His appeal is scheduled to be heard by commissioner Bud Selig on Thursday.

And when it's over...what a colosal total waste of time and money will it have been?

Please tell me there is more to this...Charge him with distruction of property or just let it go. These assult charges are laughable. And in the end, will be reduced or dropped altogether.

If you just force him to pay for the cameras, he would be hit with a bigger fine that what these charges and MLB has placed on him.

jksmith269

Proud Navy Veteran 1990-1995
Reaction score
jman said:
And when it's over...what a colosal total waste of time and money will it have been?

Please tell me there is more to this...Charge him with distruction of property or just let it go. These assult charges are laughable. And in the end, will be reduced or dropped altogether.

If you just force him to pay for the cameras, he would be hit with a bigger fine that what these charges and MLB has placed on him.
The reporter later on ESPN said he was having pain in his lower back. This will help him get more money out of Rogers in the civil suit that is sure to follow. And IMO Rogers I hope he gets what he deserves.

EDIT: But he won't he should have been suspended for the rest of the season and Fined his remaining salary. The Camara Man is not part of the game and I find this more serious than pushing an Ump.

k19

Reaction score
jksmith269 said:
The reporter later on ESPN said he was having pain in his lower back. This will help him get more money out of Rogers in the civil suit that is sure to follow. And IMO Rogers I hope he gets what he deserves.

EDIT: But he won't he should have been suspended for the rest of the season and Fined his remaining salary. The Camara Man is not part of the game and I find this more serious than pushing an Ump.

And here I've been thinking I was the ONLY person who felt that way

http://cowboyszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28908