Rapidan Dam failure in Minn. leaves home teetering on collapse

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
More and more of these weather related tragedies are happening and will continue to increase and get worse. A really bad hurricane season is forecasted for this year.

Praxit

Reaction score
..poor owners, never saw that coming. Could happen to anyone. Bad luck, I suppose.

gtb1943

Reaction score
That dam was built in 1910. Reading up on it, two of the spillways were plugged some years later with concrete. If they had still been available maybe this would not have happened.
But when you get historic flooding, a lot of times nothing is going to help.
I used to live in the Midwest not far from the Mississippi river; grew up there. so spring flodds were a constant worry for farmers and anyone right along the river
nothing has changed much since

triplets_93

Reaction score
That dam was built in 1910. Reading up on it, two of the spillways were plugged some years later with concrete. If they had still been available maybe this would not have happened.
But when you get historic flooding, a lot of times nothing is going to help.
I used to live in the Midwest not far from the Mississippi river; grew up there. so spring flodds were a constant worry for farmers and anyone right along the river
nothing has changed much since
This dam was only built for hydro-electric power generation. The dam itself serves no purpose for flood control, meaning if the dam was gone, nothing much would change downstream.

nobody

Reaction score
At least the family wasn't in the house when it went and they got a lot of the important stuff out first. Poor family though.

gtb1943

Reaction score
This dam was only built for hydro-electric power generation. The dam itself serves no purpose for flood control, meaning if the dam was gone, nothing much would change downstream.
considering we are talking 1910, are you sure it was all about electricity?
got a cite for that?