Twitter: Rapoport: Yesterday is reminder of why Jerry hasn't fired Garrett this season

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Honest question......who thinks we still win yesterday's game with Marinelli or Richard as interim coach. Maybe we do, maybe we don't but Jason still has a ton respect among the players. I'm not suggesting anything past this season but I think Jerry got it right NOT firing Jason over the last couple weeks.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
IMO... this team has played to its potential in 2 games this season: Philly and LAR

Every other game, even in our wins— one or two of the phases of the team were under-performing.

Under Garrett— the team is consistently inconsistent. And when they do lose— corrective action takes a long time. The decision on Maher took weeks— and he is a kicker!

My point is simple: Having the team show up in force a few times a year, is not the goal. Winning a SB is, therefore having a coaching staff that can develop the players on the team to where they are consistently performing at their best is essential

NorTex

Reaction score
Yep and it is frightening. This is EXACTLY why I said I wanted to lose out. A win against the Eagles and a win in the Wild Card round may = retaining Garrett. Watch
I could live with that if Marinelli left. I'd like to see Kellen Moore for a few more years...

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Honest question......who thinks we still win yesterday's game with Marinelli or Richard as interim coach. Maybe we do, maybe we don't but Jason still has a ton respect among the players. I'm not suggesting anything past this season but I think Jerry got it right NOT firing Jason over the last couple weeks.

I see yesterdays win as both a blessing and a curse.

A blessing in seeing them dismantle a very good football team and sow what they're actually capable of.

A curse in that it's one again a tease if what they're capable of, something we've seen exactly twice this year. And a win that could potentially keep a coach around that leads them to this ridiculous inconsistency. I'm fine with playing out this season with Garrett, whatever.

But hearing Jones coat tail comments should terrify Cowboys fans because it means he's still looking for any excuse to keep him.

MikeB80

Reaction score
IM positive nothing short of a super bowl can save Garrett and I am also positive marinelli is retiring and the ST coach has zero chance of returning.

InTheZone

Reaction score
Yep and it is frightening. This is EXACTLY why I said I wanted to lose out. A win against the Eagles and a win in the Wild Card round may = retaining Garrett. Watch
let's just hope if they reach the playoffs they do more than win one playoff game, otherwise we're going to be miserable even longer.

Chrispierce

Reaction score
In Jerry’s mind...it’s win or you’re gone. I don’t see Garrett having enough good games to save his job. It’s the stupid losses people are tired of,and I don’t think anyone believes the stupid losses we’ve already seen are done with.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
In Jerry’s mind...it’s win or you’re gone. I don’t see Garrett having enough good games to save his job. It’s the stupid losses people are tired of,and I don’t think anyone believes the stupid losses we’ve already seen are done with.
We'll at least have one more.

ghst187

Reaction score
Yep, all the Garrett haters were wrong. Lets go ahead and extend Garrett 5 more years because of one f*****g game that got the team to an impressive 7-7 season record.

nope the JG haters are still right.....he’s a perennial .500 coach. If we ever want to be better than that...we need someone new

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

While some people were certain Garrett's days were numbered during the regular season, others rationalized Jones (being Jones) would not bench him before the team was mathematically eliminated from the playoffs.

Dallas was 2-0 in the NFC East when they lost their first game. 3-0 and 4-0 in the division after the first three game losing streak.

Division winners get playoff seeds. Everyone's focus should have been on when the next division games were scheduled because these season ending games would play a major factor in Garrett's fate.

As always, some people, on the outside looking in, think more about what other owners or general managers would do, OR what they would do themselves, INSTEAD OF strictly considering first how they have seen Jones runs things, after watching him up to three straight decades.

"Garrett is getting fired this week!"
Next week
"Garrett is getting fired this week! I can FEEL it!"
The week after that
"Garrett is getting fired this week! There is NO way Garrett keeps his job!"
And the week after that
"Garrett is getting fired this week! The players have tuned Garrett out!"
On and on and on...

"Folks, Jerry Jones still sees his team reaching the playoffs as division champs... "

"Shaddup! You're not a Cowboys fan! Garrett sucks! Better draft picks!!!more exclamation marks!!!

Lesson: Always account for the Jerry Jones factor. :cool:

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Any Garrett supporter isnt a Cowboys fan. They are a fab of their own pride/ego because they once thought jason was good and dont want to backtrack. When jason can't get a decent gig next year with the coaching vacancies available the supporters will ignore that. Just like mike mcarthy got exposed with him wanting a new job and unable to get one. Also Packers doing just fine without him.

Portnoy1

Reaction score
I could live with that if Marinelli left. I'd like to see Kellen Moore for a few more years...
I used to have an issue with Marinelli ( I still of do). But I don't trust Richard for nothing. I expected the defensive discipline and tackling Marinelli teaches would be combined with Richard helping the DBs get TOs. In actuality Richard seems to have more influence than simply calling plays. Like Moore using Garrett's playbook, is Richard using Marinelli playbook? It doesn't seem like it.