Re-visiting the decision not to draft RB

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
So far not disappointed with the Boys draft picks In ‘24. Here is a quick look at some of the RBs we passed and their week 1 preseason games.

Some teams chose to play their 2nd stringers more than others. Tough to tell if we lost out on anyone with no real ball yet.

Didnt go further than Round 4 but did you see any later rounders with great games against top competition?

Didnt see the Jets game but Braelon Allen put up some good numbers. So did Bucky Irving in his limited playtime.

Jonathan Brooks, Texas… Panthers 2nd round, #14…. Not playing in preseason, doubtful for regular season
Trey Benson, Florida State…. Cardinals 3rd round, #2…. 3rd string, 8 rushes 21 yards
Blake Corum, Michigan…. Rams, 3rd Round #19… 2nd string, Rams did not play him
Marshawn Lloyd, USC…. Packers, 3rd Round #25…. 3rd string, 1 rush 8 yards
Jaylen Wright, Tennessee…. Dolphins, 4th Round #20… 3rd string, 10 rushes, 55 yards, 1 TD
Bucky Irving, Oregon…. Buccaneers, 4th Round, #25…. 2nd string, 6 Rush, 28 yards, 1 TD
Will Shipley, Clemson…. Eagles, 4th Round #27… 3rd string, 7 rushes, 23 yards
Ray Davis, Kentucky…. Bills, 4th Round #28…. 2nd string, 5 Rush, 2 yards
Isaac Guerrendo, Louisville…. 49ers, 4th Round #29…. Injured
Braelon Allen, Wisconsin…. Jets, 4th round #34…. 2nd string, 6 rushes, 54 yards

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
An improved O-line will cure our RB problems. So I'm not disappointed by how we drafted either.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The one everyone will point to is Allen. He was taken just 10 picks after the where the Cowboys would have been picking had they not traded for Lance. It won't be a Randy Moss/Greg Ellis comparison for the next few years. But something to keep an eye on. I didn't think the Cowboys would go RB the first three rounds. So getting one on day 3 was a top priority. For me, Allen was #1 RB on my wish list!

rambo2

Reaction score
So far not disappointed with the Boys draft picks In ‘24. Here is a quick look at some of the RBs we passed and their week 1 preseason games.

Some teams chose to play their 2nd stringers more than others. Tough to tell if we lost out on anyone with no real ball yet.

Didnt go further than Round 4 but did you see any later rounders with great games against top competition?

Didnt see the Jets game but Braelon Allen put up some good numbers. So did Bucky Irving in his limited playtime.

Jonathan Brooks, Texas… Panthers 2nd round, #14…. Not playing in preseason, doubtful for regular season
Trey Benson, Florida State…. Cardinals 3rd round, #2…. 3rd string, 8 rushes 21 yards
Jaylen Wright, Tennessee…. Dolphins, 4th Round #20… 3rd string, 10 rushes, 55 yards, 1 TD
Bucky Irving, Oregon…. Buccaneers, 4th Round, #25…. 2nd string, 6 Rush, 28 yards, 1 TD
Lloyd got injured in his 1st game.

montgod

Reaction score
The one everyone will point to is Allen. He was taken just 10 picks after the where the Cowboys would have been picking had they not traded for Lance. It won't be a Randy Moss/Greg Ellis comparison for the next few years. But something to keep an eye on. I didn't think the Cowboys would go RB the first three rounds. So getting one on day 3 was a top priority. For me, Allen was #1 RB on my wish list!
Well Allen and Jaylin Wright were looked at as possible if they hadn't traded for Lance. Both looked pretty good and strong in their runs. Either would have been a good addition to have.

John813

Reaction score
Be curious to see if we can have this thread running for weeks 2 & 3 for the preseason.

Miami backfield will have some guys who can at least be depth around the league.

Jeff Wilson Jr. probably will be a numbers cut. Nothing that would put our backfield "over the top" but a hard inside runner that has had some good games with the 49ers and Dolphins. Solid depth guy.
Chris Brooks is a big back(6'1-230lb) that IMO is faster than his 4.63 forty. Sort of my sleeper pick from that backfield that may get cut.

RonWashington

Reaction score
Seen enough of Snoop Conner . Would like to see if Peat gets more reps upcoming . And Malik Davis wow unimpressive for a guy 2 yrs ago should have seen playoff touches when Pollard broke the leg. Freeman has a groin injury .

This Rb room is scary , Dak has to have some threat of a run attack to open up the passing game or you might see defenses drop 8 into coverage . Hope Elliott can spell Dowdle to keep him off IR .

RonWashington

Reaction score
Will Shipley Clemson went to the Eagles round 4 Trey Lance round. Interesting in division see how Siriani and Moore develop him into the attack regular season .

Thomas82

Reaction score
I see Tankathon has us picking Ollie Gordon, 6'2" and 225-pound RB from Oklahoma St, at #25 in the next draft.

quickccc

Reaction score

We did not even consider signing vet free agent and stellar RB Derrick Henry - whom seem to have expressed an interest in laying for the
Cowboys ..and actually lives near Dallas area i understand...

And he only signed a one year deal with the Ravens - and it didn't appear to be a heavy contract at that.

The help Henry will give Lamar Jackson, .. is exactly what the Jones should have tried to give Dak Prescott, imo.