Reading the Bible

joseephuss

Reaction score
I recommend writing down a few notes as you read the Bible. There is just so much information to soak in. I agree with all the others that a companion book is good thing to have.

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
I would recommend that you start with reading the four Gospels first. The Bible is devided into 2 sections, obviously, the old and new Testaments.

The old is Jesus Christ concealed and the NEw is Jesus Christ Revealed. If you read the New first, specifically Mathew, Mark, Luke and John first and then start reading the old testament you will gain much more revelation into the meanings of some of the old testaments content.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
HipHop said:
In my old age I'm starting to look at things differently, and starting to find that the religion that I've been putting off for a while is becoming something I'm more interested in focusing on.

I'd like to start reading the Bible, but I remember being told once that its difficult to read. That you couldn't read it and fully understand it like you could a traditional, front to back book.

How many people read the Bible, and how would you recommend I start?

Get a Strongs Exhaustive Concordance of the bible, it's a quick reference book to find any scripture and it's uses, and it gives you the word in it's original language with definition.

For Example: "World"- has 3 different meanings and when reading the bible for face value you could be misled and end up buying fiction books...

http://www.eliyah.com/lexicon.html

I also recommend reading the gospels 1st, like Matthew....

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
I begin Greek and Latin next semester, at which time I will begin reading in original text (I will have to wait a few years for Hebrew)....

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
HipHop said:
What do you mean Jesus Christ concealed?

The old testament is a foreshadowing of the birth, ministry, death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. The Old Testament is filled with Messianic prophesies and Jesus Christ is seen through out the Old Testament. That is why I tell you to read the Gospels first and see what Jesus did, that way when you read the old testament then you will see how He fulfilled those prophesies.

marsbennett

Mars Man
Reaction score
HipHop said:
In my old age I'm starting to look at things differently, and starting to find that the religion that I've been putting off for a while is becoming something I'm more interested in focusing on.

I'd like to start reading the Bible, but I remember being told once that its difficult to read. That you couldn't read it and fully understand it like you could a traditional, front to back book.

How many people read the Bible, and how would you recommend I start?
I'd start in the New Testament with St. John. The Gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John give you background of Jesus Christ. The Acts of the Apostles tell about what happened after Jesus arose from the dead and what happened to those who chose to serve HIM all their days. Talk about having big balls!?! To preach the Word then would almost mean certain death. Why would these guys do such a thing? The saw and knew that it wasn't this life that counted, but the one to come.

You may also want to try a copy of The Bible in Everyday English. It will make The Old Testament easier to follow. The Amplified Version of the Bible is also a fantastic version to read! Check it out.

Hoov

Reaction score
The New Testament much easier to read. If you want to make sense of Old Testament you really need to have backround info regarding Hebrew culture. Also the Mishnah and Talmud help shed light on some very curios things written in Old Testament.

Also many serious students and theologians, ministers, priests have quite different intrepretations for key passages throughout Bible.

My advice....read with open mind, question everything and look for personal guidance to what God and the Universe is speaking to you at this point in your life. And don't get to caught up in feeling guilty about "sin". A few passages in New Testament sound rather harsh regarding any little "wrongdoing". I feel that God is bigger than this, a loving and guiding force, not a petty, judgemantal God eager to punish for people who don't do exactly as the Bible states.

Hope your study is fulfilling.